Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #29

I was wondering how the radio worked for you? I still like a dash mount.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2017, 06:37 AM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
I was wondering how the radio worked for you? I still like a dash mount.
Hey Dustyone.... I love it!! Like the ability to lay the receiver on the seat, dash, hook and put in glove compartment when not using.

Patsy

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like a good radio for SHORT hauls. I like a properly installed with a proper antenna for general communications (Mine is a Cobra with an NGP antenna)

If you want Really long hauls.. Well I'm a licensed Ham Radio Operator so my VHF radios do many miles. My HF.. Even farther.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
Instead of installing radio for a trip, I would use a couple of these.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R...ywords=baofeng
What's involved with getting a license to operate one of these?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #33

That is not a cb radio. It looks like a gmrs type. You have to buy a license to use. If it gets int o ham frequency then you would need to also need to take a test as well. They are very line of site. You would need repeater. I prefer cb for what I use it for. No license requirements.

Sent from my LG-K371 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 12-28-2017, 06:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
That is not a cb radio. It looks like a gmrs type. You have to buy a license to use. If it gets int o ham frequency then you would need to also need to take a test as well. They are very line of site. You would need repeater. I prefer cb for what I use it for. No license requirements.

Sent from my LG-K371 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
You don't need a license to use the FRS frequencies. Just program them into the radio. They will talk about as far as a CB radio.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #35

The picture that he is asking about is a bofang wt that is ham and gmrs. Check it out. Had Drs radios. They were useless for my application.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
The Baeofang UV-5R is a HAM radio, Technician class or above

What is involved in getting a license?
Well you study optional take a course, If you are a Tech oriented person teh ARRL Technician class LIcense Guidek if not a Techie try the Gordon West guide (I am a techie and thus like the ARRL book better)

You take a test, they are administerd by other ham all voer the palce, about 15 dollars, (less change) License is good for 10 years and renewals are free.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:02 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Well you study optional take a course, If you are a Tech oriented person teh ARRL Technician class LIcense Guidek if not a Techie try the Gordon West guide (I am a techie and thus like the ARRL book better)

You take a test, they are administerd by other ham all voer the palce, about 15 dollars, (less change) License is good for 10 years and renewals are free.
Thanks for that info.

We have a pair of motorola walkie talkies that have enough range most of the time. We use them primarily for parking when the DW guides me in and when I put the slides out for clearance. One shortcoming of these units is there is often times a delay when pushing the PTT button and when the other unit receives the transmission. So in practice what I often here from the DW is just a beep because she doesn't wait a second after pushing the PTT button before talking. So many times I have to ask her to repeat her last transmission.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Like I said yesterday, You can program FRS frequencies in them and you DO NOT need a ham license to use those frequencies.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Fill out the application here: FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS): ULS Home and pay your fee. It's fairly easy.