Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #1

Harbor Freight Camera system as a backup camera

Harbor Freight sells a security camera system for $79 . It is a 110 volt, but really runs on 12 vt.

It looks like a nice enough package .... IF IT LASTS !
Most of the things I have bought there ... I have taken back , so if anyone has used this in their RV as a backup camera, I would be very interested in the results.

Thanks ... Richard
RLD_999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #2

Go checkout the other forum. There is a guy asking the exact same question.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I considered their system but I was concerned about the field of view. To be used as an RV rear view camera it should have a wide angle lens - usually 120 -140 degree will provide good viewing.
I bought an actual rear-view, back-up camera package off eBay for $40 that works quite well. Do some more shopping. You WILL need to buy a longer cable, 50 foot was perfect for my 36' coach. Ran down the inside of the rear cap, along the frame all the way to the front then up and into the dash area. Only a few inches to spare.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I agree with Nick-B, get one off of eBay. I bought a Harbor Freight camera 11 years ago for our first MH, it did the job but did have a limited field of view and also had to rewire the monitor so it displayed reversed (it was a CRT type so it was fairly easy to do), too much of a pain now that you can get the systems off eBay for $40 or less. I had to extend the cable on the Harbor Freight one also.

When DW wanted a backup camera for her van this spring, I bought a camera for $13 and mirror/LCD for $20 from eBay, they work well.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera