Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Has Anyone Run Their Surround Sound Through Their Coach Speakers?

I was hoping to find a 12 volt 5.1 car amplifier with a HDMI connection and be able to switch between the car head unit and a DVD player so I can utilize the Polk speakers I installed up front and at the back of the kitchen and a 12 volt subwoofer amp and speaker. The only way I can make this work is to have a 12 gang rotary switch with a three position selector with the center position being off for both system (break before make). The wiring is going to be a nightmare but it is the only way I can ensure there is no back feeding into the other unit and to protect the systems when the speakers are disconnected from a particular unit. Tell me what you think.

To LF Speaker (+)
- car
- off (NC)
To LF Speaker (-)
- car
- off (NC)

To RF Speaker (+)
- car
- off (NC)
To RF Speaker (-)
- car
- off (NC)

To LR Speaker (+)
- car
- off (NC)
To LR Speaker (-)
- car
- off (NC)

To RR Speaker (+)
- car
- off (NC)
To RR Speaker (-)
- car
- off (NC)

To 12 v Subwoofer amp audio input (+)
- car
- off (NC)

To 12v Subwoofer amp audio input (-)
- car
- off (NC)

To Subwoofer amp +12v trigger source
- car +12v pwr antenna
- off (NC)
- 5.1 +12v continuous

To +12v (Circuit Protection with no speakers connected)
- car radio power in (+)
- off (NC)
- 5.1 +12v relay coil, 110 AC hot on the contacts
zabooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The newer coaches come equipped that way. (Hint, hint!)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is company called River Park in Elkhart Indiana who furnishes a multiplexing type device which will allow you to do what you want.

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #4

Try Truline RV in Spokane Wa as they may the closest outfit to you. They specialize in retro-fitting rvs. Give them a call and talk with one of their techs just to be sure.Truline rv of Spokane Wa. The best in custom upgrades and major repairs.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:57 AM   #5

My best suggestion rather then going through that much hassle would be to just upgrade the stereo system to a 5.1 surround in dash dvd system. Then you can listen to music or watch dvd's whatever you want to do right from the same system without trying to get a switching system like that running. A typical in-dash dvd will have video out that you could plug into your standard tv even so you dont have to watch the small screen.

I'm one for jerry riggin dont get me wrong, but when it comes down to how much im going to use it vs how much of a pain its gonna be, I'd take the pricier road on this one.
DevonJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #6

This company (River Park Electronics) makes the mobile audio switching systems and amplifiers for the RV industry (OEM for Winnebago).

Give them a call. They may have a product which will do what you're interested in;

Here: River Park, Products System Integration RiverPark
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Something like this?

Dayton TS-4 4 Pair Speaker Switch With Impedance Protection

Simple A/B switch...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. I will probably make this a future project and hopefully there will be an in dash 5.1 Am/FM/Blu-Ray/everything else in the world/ so I could eliminate the switching and a separate surround sound system. I called a local stereo shop and there are none with an HDMI output for a TV. If you know of any let me know as I would expect the demand for this would be rather low.
zabooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:44 AM   #9

ah the things we dream up. Odd how they can make surround sound for the car but can't give us a good video connector coming out. Hopefully they get something going soon. Especially if they make those in-wall dvd/stereo/alarm clock systems for RVers. All they have to do is bring it up to the modern age for all the RV's that have the big fancy TV's. Cmon manufacturers, get with the times
DevonJH is offline   Reply With Quote