Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #1

HD Satellite

Anyone have a preference for MotoSat HD SL5 or Wineguard SK3005?
Jim B
09 Monaco Exec
jimbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #2

I ordered an SK3005 because I think it's the only one that can pick up 5 different satellites - getting all the Direct TV HD channels. It was $1499 on Amazon.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #3

Thanks, Did you install yourself? Was it a new intall or replace? I am replacing a KVH.
Jim
jimbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Moto Sat system and have no complaints. It also picks up all the satellites. Believe you will be happy with either one but you might contact someone who sells both and ask them which they recommend.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've heard great things about the MotoSat but have no experience with them. I had the old Winegard ASC2003 and hated it. IMO is was junk.

When it failed, my extended wty credited me for both labor and about $1100 replacement cost for the dish. I ended up paying something like $650 to get the SK3005 and couldn't be happier with it. We've had it a bit over a year now and we full time so it gets a workout. Love it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The installers I've talked to of late seem to prefer the Winegard over the Motosat. We have the Motosat, but it was installed before Winegard released the 3005.

jow
Old 10-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have a HD DP-3 (3 Satellite) MotoSat system, the only basic difference between it and the SL-5 system is the number of satellites it looks at (5 vs 3). I couldn't be happier with it. Had it installed by professional. Pricey, but worth the $$.

IMO MotoSat construction seems more substantial than Winegard. Draw back to MotoSat systems is the need to continually update the Satellite Controller software. MotoSat antenna's did take a long time to acquire satellite's in the past, but latest software updates have remedied that problem for the most part. Controller now remembers your last locations (Azimuth and elevation) and starts it search from that point, instead of starting from scratch.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #8

I installed the DishTV version of the Winegard Travler and it was very straightforward. I added an aluminum plate under it for more stability, but that's only because I was worried about my RV roof construction, not the dish itself.

I checked out the Motosat version and it was more expensive (as was mentioned).

I know that Winegard used to have quality/material issues, but the Travler is a home run. Get it.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We had the Motosat SL-5 installed in February 2008. We are fulltimers, so it gets regular use. We had trouble-free service from it until June 2010 when the controller died. Took three weeks to get it back from Motosat. In August 2010 it died again. This time it took 1 month to get it back from Motosat. When I consider the constant software updates and several controller failures I think maybe I should have gone with the Winegard Travler.

By the way Motosat support is definitely hit and miss. The first failure I had was handled by a helpful technician. The second failure was a terrible experience with many calls to unhelpful people. Wonder how they would feel if their TV service was out for a month. They have some sort of arcane system where the folks you talk to on the phone cannot readily access the folks doing the repairs. They cannot look at the status of your repair without physically going into another room/building (?) to get a status update. For a tech type of organization this is very strange.

Good luck with your decision.

Bill