Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
I don't know why everyone thinks High Def is different. It's all digital. The old stuff was anolog.
You're right. From a wiring point of view, HD Satellite is no different than SD satellite. Except that you need the right kind of dish to pick up the HD signals.

Not sure what "old stuff" you're referring to.

joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
You're right. From a wiring point of view, HD Satellite is no different than SD satellite. Except that you need the right kind of dish to pick up the HD signals.

Not sure what "old stuff" you're referring to.

joe

Analog.....is the old stuff.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
If I ran the sat cable into the distribution switch and then connected the coax from the distribution switch into a front and rear sat box, would I get HD at both and be able to watch different channels at each TV?
Thanks for all the input on my original question. What I want is to be able to watch different channels on the front and rear TV. I could live with SD on the rear. I will be using Dish. I know that not all of the Dish channels are on the same sat, but I would at least like to have control of the current sat channels on the rear TV. I don't want to run any new wiring. Thanks.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #46

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
The main difference in HD and SD is picture quality. My H24's (DTV receivers) can even decode the new 3-D chanels. Yes all digital, difference is in the compression/decoding and band.
Can you rewire the coach to HDMI, someone asks...yes, wirelessly is the best and easiest way to go in older coaches, but other wireless devices can interrupt. Can also convert HDMI and broadcast over CAT 5e/6 cabling which is much smaller and cheaper than long HDMI cables. This also works to a convient area an HDMI switch can be installed to branch to other TVs.
And last but not least, the back of the H21 and H24 receivers have both HDMI and Component that broadcast simutaneously so one can run HDMI to one TV and HDMI to the other. HDMI gives the best signal. Component is an analog signal.
Many RV mfg. in the late 2000's used component cabling within the coaches for distribution.
I don't know of an inmotion dome that receives HD on Directv. Some did such as Kingdome, but utilized and optional splitter to recieve HD on Sat 110 for Directv, but that no longer works as they are moving HD signals, hince the 5 LNB array. Dish still will if stationary, but must switch sats.
Get a MotoSat or Wineguard that incorpoates this for HD broadcasts.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:13 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
The main difference in HD and SD is picture quality. My H24's (DTV receivers) can even decode the new 3-D chanels. Yes all digital, difference is in the compression/decoding and band.
Can you rewire the coach to HDMI, someone asks...yes, wirelessly is the best and easiest way to go in older coaches, but other wireless devices can interrupt. Can also convert HDMI and broadcast over CAT 5e/6 cabling which is much smaller and cheaper than long HDMI cables. This also works to a convient area an HDMI switch can be installed to branch to other TVs.
And last but not least, the back of the H21 and H24 receivers have both HDMI and Component that broadcast simutaneously so one can run HDMI to one TV and HDMI to the other. HDMI gives the best signal. Component is an analog signal.
H21,HR23 receivers can also decode 3D if they are connected to a 3D HD TV.
Quote:
Component is an analog signal
Wrong! The Y Pb Pr Component output on a HD receiver puts out a HD signal.
But you do have to use the RCA L & R audio outputs or the Digital Audio Optical with them. And I don't think most users will be able to see the difference in the HD picture between those outputs.

The HD receivers also have a S-Video output and it is Analog.
Quote:
I don't know of an inmotion dome that receives HD on Directv. Some did such as Kingdome, but utilized and optional splitter to recieve HD on Sat 110 for Directv, but that no longer works as they are moving HD signals, hince the 5 LNB array
There is no in motion or stationary Dome that can receive HD on DTV other then one that is KHV made to work on Marine boats. They are to tall for a RV use.

DTV has moved everything off the 109.8 and the 119 only has SD local channel's on it. All HD & 3D programs are now on the 99.2 & 102.8 satellites.
A few locals SD are also on the 72.5.

The 5 LNB array is only needed if your locals are on the 119 and some automatic dishes like the Trav'ler use the 109.8 & 119 to lock the dish on.

Otherwise for DTV a 3 LNB array will work for all HD and SD programs.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think H.Huester, the starter of this thread , is using a DirecTv dish that is only hitting one non- HD satellite.- the 101 satellite.

He will not receive an HD signal until he uses a multi- satellite dish. He must then have a HD receiver from DirecTv and pay an extra monthly fee.

There is no reason to run 40-50ft HDMI cables anyplace, to get a HD signal if he has no HD signal available to any TV.

The obvious answer is to spend more money to upgrade the entire system, IE:

1- Install a second HD receiver in the bedroom- and run a short HDMI cable to the new HD TV. That's easy.

2- Run an extra cable from the LNB on the new satellite dish to the second bedroom Satellite receiver- a little more involved, but certainly doable. If you want to record and watch TV on either TV at the same time, you'll need yet another cable from the dish LNB to a DVR satellite HD receiver.

3- You need to do nothing, when installing a new HD TV in your rig and using the Bat Wing antenna mounted on the roof of your rig, if near, a useable "over the Air" digital signal- that is transmitting an HD signal.

This whole process can be money consuming. One just has to make the initial decision which way does he want to go.

We spend almost 10 months a year in the Motor Home. It was a very easy decision for me to make- "Pedal to the Metal!"

Here is my old thread on this upgrade.- Make sure you go to the all the way to the end of this thread to see the Winegard Trave'ler antenna I had installed. Also added a 32" Sony to the front TV. A 26" TV was just too small in the front for these old eyes.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Wrong! The Y Pb Pr Component output on a HD receiver puts out a HD signal.
Component is HD capable but it is still an analog signal. It is limited to 720P.
HDMI is both HD and digital and it goes all the way to 1080P.

Dish signals and Cable TV don't go to 1080P yet (as far as I know). Stuff like an XBOX does 1080P.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
Component is HD capable but it is still an analog signal. It is limited to 720P.
HDMI is both HD and digital and it goes all the way to 1080P.

Dish signals and Cable TV don't go to 1080P yet (as far as I know). Stuff like an XBOX does 1080P.
Actually, component will do 1080i. It won't do 1080p.

Satellite can go to 1080p, depends on the programming and receiver. Not sure about cable, probably the same (provider dependent).

joe
Old 12-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #51

Just Say No to Component Video

Quote:
Actually, component will do 1080i. It won't do 1080p.

Satellite can go to 1080p, depends on the programming and receiver. Not sure about cable, probably the same (provider dependent).
Component is on its way out -- it will be phased out of new equipment & "flags" (i.e., ICT) can be used to lower the resolution of a component signal.
Goodbye, HD component video: Hollywood hastens the 'analog sunset'
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #52

Quote:
No. You can't use a distribution box to split satellite signals.

joe
Can you use a 211K to split the HD satellitte signal. IE take the video to tv and the audio to sound system? Television does not have an audio out
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:06 AM   #53

Yes, there is a digital audio out port on the 211
Old 12-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #54

If you only have one coax cable coming from the dish you can only feed one receiver. From the receiver there are different ways to "distribute" the same channel to multiple TVs. If you have two coax cables coming down from the dish then you can feed two receivers and these two receivers can watch different channels. no splitters required. If you want to run more than 2 receivers, you can install a "switch" (the two coax connect to the switch and the switch feeds the receivers).
Old 12-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just had Dish setup in my house this week. They also setup and left me with a 222K receiver. I have one in my house and it does HD at the main TV and SD at the 2nd TV. This is OK for my MH rear tv since it is only 22". I have not installed in the MH yet, but am hoping this will work. Will I be able to put the SD signal through my signal switch at the front of the coach?
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
I just had Dish setup in my house this week. They also setup and left me with a 222K receiver. . . Will I be able to put the SD signal through my signal switch at the front of the coach?
Yes, via the "Home Distribution" coax. You'll need to split the incoming LNB cable to the 2 tuners on the back of the 222k with a Separator. I think it ships with each dual tuner. If not, they're readily available:
Amazon.com: Dish Network DPP Separator: Electronics
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote