Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
As was previous suggested, a good inexpensive option is to add a Roku and then use the Xfinity app on the Roku. They cost between $39 and $139 and are great streaming devices. We have two on our Class A. And the main one is plugged into our 4X4 Matrix instead of a Sat Receiver. We stream 100% of our TV on our RV. (And at home we have 5 Rokus. One for every TV in the house. We stream everything there too.)

Most of the newer Roku devices use RF Remotes so you can hide the streamer in a cabinet and change channels, etc, with the remote.
Are you using a hotspot? What are you using that allows this kind of service. My Verison hotspot slows down after I reach some limit, even though I thought I had unlimited.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 06:02 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Are you using a Hotspot for internet? How do you connect to Xfinity and does your Hotspot slow down like mine does. It's Verizon and supposedly is unlimited but always slows down when used for streaming.

Thanks
No i don't use a Hotspot. I have looked into using a external USB modem from Verizon at a cost of about $80/mth with unlimited data. However, since I'm not retired, i would only use it from say April-Sept. I don't want to have to pay a for a contract over the winter months for something that will just be sitting in a drawer.
I need to investigate this a little further since I thinking if i purchased the device out right, then i don't believe i would have to get a contract and i could cancel it for the winter and then turn it back on for camping season.

So far i have had good luck simple using campsite wifi with my laptop and then there is no additional cost.
FredB-Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:14 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by swsarmyknife View Post
Is your 4x4 matrix switch HDCP compliant. The issue might be that the content that is sent via the HDMI output from your laptop is coded as content protected and if the 4x4 matrix isn't carrying that to the TV than the TV will refuse to play.
That at least would explain why sending the same content directly to the TV with just the HDMI cable.
This is a little more rare, but you could also have a inferior HDMI cable, using the matrix means that you have at least two HDMI cables, maybe one of them is the issue.
Lastly when you are connected with your laptop to the 4x4 and to the TV do you get any video output of the laptop or is the problem only once you start streaming? Again pointing the the content protection.
I believe the problem is that the matrix is not HDCP complaint since the issue is that my laptop will not recognize it as a display - so their is no signal being sent

i have decided that I'm going to run separate HDMI cables thru the coach (ie: hidden) to each of the TV's and then use an HDMI splitter (which i already purchased and tried - works fine) being placed in the same overhead cabinet that the existing matrix, DVD player, etc are located.
Then i can simply plug my laptop into the HDMI cable input for the splitter, change the input on the TV (or TV's) that i want to have the game, movie, show, recording from my xfinity play.
If my wife or someone else wants to watch a DVD or the something off the TV antenna - I will still have those options available using the matrix 4x4.
FredB-Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredB-Mass View Post
I believe the problem is that the matrix is not HDCP complaint since the issue is that my laptop will not recognize it as a display - so their is no signal being sent

i have decided that I'm going to run separate HDMI cables thru the coach (ie: hidden) to each of the TV's and then use an HDMI splitter (which i already purchased and tried - works fine) being placed in the same overhead cabinet that the existing matrix, DVD player, etc are located.
Then i can simply plug my laptop into the HDMI cable input for the splitter, change the input on the TV (or TV's) that i want to have the game, movie, show, recording from my xfinity play.
If my wife or someone else wants to watch a DVD or the something off the TV antenna - I will still have those options available using the matrix 4x4.

Cool, looks like you have a solution worked out. Let us know how the finished product turned out.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Are you using a hotspot? What are you using that allows this kind of service. My Verison hotspot slows down after I reach some limit, even though I thought I had unlimited.

Thanks,

It's a common misconception that unlimited means unlimited high speed, but in reality just means no overage charges for any amount of downloaded content. And most plans out there have some sort of provision for throttling high speed, some say only when congested, others throttle once that limit is met and will not go back to high speed until the next billing cycle.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #20

You would need a hotspot but I'd consider a Chromecast as a cheap solution.
festrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Virtually ALL of the standard data plans from all carriers limit their high speed data on their so-called unlimited plans. Some more than others. The typical "unlimited" plans offer 22gigs of 4G speed data on phones and 15gigs of 4g speed on hotspots (Mifi or Jetpack devices) per month. After you reach those limits ATT doesn't automatically reduce the speed as much as Verizon.

Steaming video (TV) you'll use about 3 to 5 gigs of data per day. So those limits will barely get you through a long weekend in your RV.

In general, after reaching those limits the speeds you are left with are too slow to stream video. And some plans restrict video streaming to 720p (not quite HD) even with the high speed data.

From time to time there are special non-standard truly unlimited data plans you can get but in almost all cases you have to jump through hoops or really... just get lucky... to get them. You'll never find them by going into a carriers store and asking about data plans.

We found our data plan deals by joining (paid membership) www.rvmobileinternet.com. You can read a blog made by the owners of that site for free at www.technomadia.com.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #22

T-Mobile and Sprint indicate that they "may" throttle after 50GB per month, Verizon and AT&T announce the same at 22GB/month. I've yet to see any degradation of streaming video quality using Sprint's mobile hotspot, but then I choose my camping sites deliberately away from congested areas where throttling may be a higher priority for carriers.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by festrvl View Post
T-Mobile and Sprint indicate that they "may" throttle after 50GB per month, Verizon and AT&T announce the same at 22GB/month. I've yet to see any degradation of streaming video quality using Sprint's mobile hotspot, but then I choose my camping sites deliberately away from congested areas where throttling may be a higher priority for carriers.
Here are the Hotspot data plan details for Sprint. Note, their normal "unlimited" plans are for smartphones ONLY. None of the features carry over to hotspots/MiFi devices, which must be added separately at additional cost.

Quote:
  • Unlimited Basic: 500MB highspeed mobile hotspot data per line. After highspeed hotspot data is used, speeds are reduced to 3G for the rest of the month.
  • Additional high-speed data can be added for $15 per GB.
  • Unlimited Plus: 50GB highspeed mobile hotspot data per line. After highspeed hotspot data is used, speeds are reduced to 3G for the rest of the month.
  • Unlimited Premium: 100GB highspeed mobile hotspot data a month per line After highspeed hotspot data is used, speeds are reduced to 3G for the rest of the month.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:14 AM   #24

HDMI 4x4 Streaming TV with Laptop

I solved the problem getting Apple TV. It works great! A bit expensive, but worth it. I use the DISH app on my IPad to watch tv and dvr.
tundranurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Here are the Hotspot data plan details for Sprint. Note, their normal "unlimited" plans are for smartphones ONLY. None of the features carry over to hotspots/MiFi devices, which must be added separately at additional cost.
Yes, as stated Sprint & T-Mobile have a significant edge over other major carriers if you travel within their coverage area. I'm on the 55+ plan, which is slightly different from those listed, and includes unlimited mobile hotspot. Since many may not care about a separate device (an issue with all carriers) it's a plan worth looking into.