Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #15

Larry, you mentioned that you have a dish antenna on the roof. As Jimmer has said, certain receivers work with the antennas. The best way is to call Dish and ask. They don't bite, and can tell you which combinations work. That's the best and fastest way.

HTH
Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2018, 03:23 AM   #16

Thank you, and Wally is on it's way.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKITCHELL View Post
just in case, i just bought a used rv with the motorized sat dish. very $$$ expensive. i was told that if we switch fro uverse to dish at home, we get the rv added on for $7 / monthly.
I just signed up for dish earlier today. We've had DirecTV forever, but for some reason they started jacking us around, like all of a sudden they want to charge us for HD. Just like you said, we got the RV added on for $7.00 a month. That is with or without a receiver. It was free with DirecTV, but only SD. I can handle the 7 bucks a month and then don't have to take my home receiver with us. I did get the dish and tripod from DirecTV for free a few years back; now I am going to have to buy an auto-dish, but that's okay. I'm tired of having to set up the dish even though it only takes me about 10 minutes.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:01 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
I just signed up for dish earlier today. We've had DirecTV forever, but for some reason they started jacking us around, like all of a sudden they want to charge us for HD. Just like you said, we got the RV added on for $7.00 a month. That is with or without a receiver. It was free with DirecTV, but only SD. I can handle the 7 bucks a month and then don't have to take my home receiver with us. I did get the dish and tripod from DirecTV for free a few years back; now I am going to have to buy an auto-dish, but that's okay. I'm tired of having to set up the dish even though it only takes me about 10 minutes.

Just a thought.

If you do go with an automatic dish, consider the RFMogul unit.

https://rfmogul.com/

We have the Winegard Traveler for our Dish service. It works ok, but does not support the Hopper 3. I wish now that I had known about the RF Mogul option before buying the Traveler.

RFM also allows you to switch back to the Dark Side (Direct) with just a software update rather than having to change any hardware. It appears to be a more robust unit as well and is largely field repairable.

It does cost a bit more than the Traveler, however.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #19

We will echo the RF Mogul recommendation. Ours works really well. We had Tailgaters and the X2 Pathways, but the RF mogul is much better at getting marginal signals through foliage.

It sets up quickly and shuts off, getting three sats (110, 119 & 129).

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #20

After I retired and on a reasonable fixed income, We dropped Dish and high end smart phones. The costs of these items just got too expensive... 250 channel of nothing much worth watching and rates continue to go up.

We enjoy football and thought we would not have the coverage we had with dish but we were wrong we've enjoyed a full season of college and pro football teams we like over the air- not from space. Tonight we are watching the Super Bowl via free OTA local HD and talking with family on free tracfones (500 minutes costs $25) plus free fast WIFI at the RV park = a savings of $275 a month/$3,300 per year just on TV and Phones. Less is More!
Old 02-04-2018, 08:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
We have the Winegard Traveler for our Dish service. It works ok, but does not support the Hopper 3.
A standard Winegard DISH Travler will support a Hopper 3.

You just have to add a DPH42 switch like so . . . been using this with my Hopper 3 for months.

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
We will echo the RF Mogul recommendation. Ours works really well. We had Tailgaters and the X2 Pathways, but the RF mogul is much better at getting marginal signals through foliage.
Winegard DISH Travler = $1200

I think that's about $650 less than the RF Mogul.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:01 AM   #23

Hi KF5UMC
I see the savings....I feel I should do the same, but we shall see what this recent signup with dish has to offer.
You should check out consumer cellular.....as an aarp member you get small discount on to of the low monthly rate. And yes, over the air has been very good....you get local stations on HD and some stations on SD, no complaints.
However, I did sign up for the dish "pay as you go" so I will see how it goes for the 5 months that we are traveling the country....we will see if it is worth it.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Just a thought.

We have the Winegard Traveler for our Dish service. It works ok, but does not support the Hopper 3. I wish now that I had known about the RF Mogul option before buying the Traveler.

RFM also allows you to switch back to the Dark Side (Direct) with just a software update rather than having to change any hardware. It appears to be a more robust unit as well and is largely field repairable.

Yours is the first post i have seen that mentions the RFM. We are.new to MH and will be full timers and i made the decision to go with RFM after much research.
RickNau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:24 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The best deal is to buy a used or refurnished solo receiver (211K, Z, or W-Wally) and portable antenna (1000.4 on a tripod, or auto aim Tailgater or similar).
The portable antenna requires no install and allows you to camp under shade trees where a typical rooftop could be blocked

For programming, sign-up for Pay-as-you-go (no contract)
https://www.dish.com/programming/pac...pay-as-you-go/
And Flex-pack $34.99 plus any ala' cart you want.
https://www.mydish.com/flex-pack

The Pay-As-You-Go can literally be shut-off and restarted anytime you want.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:30 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Mr D. I have DISH and a Dish satellite on MH. Are you saying, all I need to do is take the receiver box out of the house and hook it up in the MH and I'm good to go??
Then when I travel, it sounds like I can go on their website and reconnect from there or call them. Sound right??
Thank you very much. One more week and we will be on the road, finally.
Don't know about Dish, I've never checked on their TOS.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:33 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Just a thought.

Last I checked the RF Mogul required different dish style/LNB setup for Direct or Dish service.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The best deal is to buy a used or refurnished solo receiver (211K, Z, or W-Wally) and portable antenna (1000.4 on a tripod, or auto aim Tailgater or similar).
The portable antenna requires no install and allows you to camp under shade trees where a typical rooftop could be blocked

For programming, sign-up for Pay-as-you-go (no contract)
https://www.dish.com/programming/pac...pay-as-you-go/
And Flex-pack $34.99 plus any ala' cart you want.
https://www.mydish.com/flex-pack

The Pay-As-You-Go can literally be shut-off and restarted anytime you want.

Best luck
Thanks

That is the exact information I was looking for.....and your use of your portable antenna, an I'm using the(king quest vq4500) with the tripod is exactly how my usage is.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish