RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #1

Here is a Dish Question

I pay dish $10 extra a month for local channels, but when I check the menu there is a spot where I can download local channels. I know I will get a ton of channels, but I can delete the channels I don't want. So what is the difference between paying them for a few channels or doing it myself?

jastinjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #2

I don't have that on mine. Only if I am in the same basic area as home do I get local channels. Other wise, the lower channels are blank.

A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
part of our setup routine is to call DISH and tell them to change our SERVICE address so we can get the local channels for that area. these are the locals for where we ar, not the locals for our home. takes about 10-minutes. no charge. not sure how or why the OP is paying $10 for locals.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:03 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the $10 is for DNS (distant network service) - this gets you Los Angeles local stations wherever you are - not your residence stations (unless you live in LA...).

Dish spot beams local channels (typically about 200 mile radius). For no additional charge you can get the local channels for where ever you are currently located. Contact Dish and have them change the SERVICE address to where you are currently.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:03 PM   #5

Do you mean scan for local channels? As in over the air antenna?

We get locals both over the air (if signal is strong enough) and over the satellite in our VIP 211k.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastinjr View Post
I pay dish $10 extra a month for local channels, but when I check the menu there is a spot where I can download local channels. I know I will get a ton of channels, but I can delete the channels I don't want. So what is the difference between paying them for a few channels or doing it myself?

This is the difference: Dish charges 10 dollars for local programming.
When you travel and want to receive local channels at your location, you contact Dish to change your service location. I do this through the chat function. Now, the function you refer to on the Dish menu, allows you to “scan” for Local channels via the OTA adapter on your receiver. This accomplishes the same thing as changing your service location ONLY if you are in an area where you are able to pick up local stations via your OTA antenna..
LucasOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:11 AM   #7

agreed....

the function you mentioned is only to bring in 'local over-the-air' channels in your area TO your Dish GUIDE, so that you can view them at the same place you view your Dish channels versus having to switch back and forth between two different 'INPUTS' on your tv.
it does NOT give you locals from 'everywhere', only the ones your RV Antenna could normally pick up by itself.

The $10 charge for 'LOCAL' is simply a new charge that Dish has added for it's service that provides you all the 'Locals' in your current SPOT BEAM, including the normal national ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX affiliates, PBS, and any other channels for the 'area'. But these are fed thru your Dish Antenna, not your RV Antenna, and therefore you can set them up for Recording, or for the guide to switch to them automatically if you have them set for Memory, etc.

The Antenna spot beam Locals are much more reliable thru your Dish setup, plus you will mostly also receive MANY channels you would never see from your RV Antenna.

I pick up 30 + ATLANTA spot beam LOCALS, and I'm 100 miles away. You'll never see any of those local channels on my RV antenna, matter of fact, you'll see NONE where I'm parked in Western North Carolina!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastinjr View Post
I think you only get the Local Menu when you have the OTA Adapter. It allows attachment of your OTA (rooftop) antenna to the Dish Receiver. It's nothing more than the ability to route the rooftop antenna thru the Dish Receiver. That's different than the ($10) Local channels you receive via your dish/satellite.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:15 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Bruceisla is correct. The "Scan for Local Channels" only works if you have an OTA antenna attached to the Dish receiver. The 211k had an OTA adapter built in, but the 211z and Wallies need an external USB adapter. Once you scan for the channels, they will appear in your guide and you can record them (with a hard drive) just like satellite programming.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #10

Just spent 4weeks in San Antonio, Texas...we are from Sacramento,Ca
Didn’t bother changing “service “ address, then I discovered I was getting my “locals” from California
I could watch 3,6,10,13,40,58 which are my locals
Anybody know why I was getting them?
whodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:40 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasOil View Post
This is the difference: Dish charges 10 dollars for local programming.
When you travel and want to receive local channels at your location, you contact Dish to change your service location. I do this through the chat function. Now, the function you refer to on the Dish menu, allows you to “scan” for Local channels via the OTA adapter on your receiver. This accomplishes the same thing as changing your service location ONLY if you are in an area where you are able to pick up local stations via your OTA antenna..
There is no extra charge for local channels local to where you are by changing service address. I do this typically weekly as we move around.

There is a $10 monthly charge for DNS. DNS and local channels via service address are not the same thing.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:09 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
There is no extra charge for local channels local to where you are by changing service address. I do this typically weekly as we move around.

There is a $10 monthly charge for DNS. DNS and local channels via service address are not the same thing.
"Locals" were pulled off the channel packs by Dish last year...it's a $10 up-sale now for any channel pack.

DNS is a different $10 up-sale.

We dropped the locals and opted for DNS. Equaled a zero change in billing.
When the OTA antenna can pull the locals, that's great (see Lt Dan's post above).
But, DNS is better for us because it is always the same where ever we go.

For the OP...if you connect the OTA antenna, you can search for broadcast channels. Any the receiver gets will display on the same guide with your channel pack (just a different color banner).
If you camp where locals are receivable, you can drop the locals and save $10 a month on your subscription.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
"I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance", S.Coleridge 1797
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:31 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
"Locals" were pulled off the channel packs by Dish last year...it's a $10 up-sale now for any channel pack.

DNS is a different $10 up-sale.

We dropped the locals and opted for DNS. Equaled a zero change in billing.
When the OTA antenna can pull the locals, that's great (see Lt Dan's post above).
But, DNS is better for us because it is always the same where ever we go.

For the OP...if you connect the OTA antenna, you can search for broadcast channels. Any the receiver gets will display on the same guide with your channel pack (just a different color banner).
If you camp where locals are receivable, you can drop the locals and save $10 a month on your subscription.

Safe travels
Ah. Just looked at a recent bill. You are correct. I stand corrected. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:17 AM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
i thought DISH was forced to drop DNS service by the FCC yesrs ago. has something changed or are some users grandfathered in?

and to get the local channels within range of your OTA antenna to appear on the DISH channel guide you need the DISH OTA adapter.

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish