RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Home Group is Dead

OK, need some help. I am not great on computer stuff... just enough to get by. In a past life, I was a UNIX and storage admin but Windows stuff not so much. In any case, I have two Lenovo desktops. One is in my home office and the other is in my shop office. AT&T gateway serves as a router and I have a range extender in my home office and an external antenna on the side of the shop (usb connect direct to desk top machine). Both machines are identical and running Win 10 Pro. This latest iteration of Windows dropped the "home group". I have shared all files on both computer and tried all online suggestions for how to get them to see each other and share files. I can't gain access in either direction except for the music library on each of the two computers.

I can "see" the home office workstation from where I am in the office and vise versa. Anyone have tips on how I can share files. I will not put my files in the cloud as I don't really trust the security of my files when they are out there in cyber space. Any help would be appreciated.

wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #2

What version of Windows are you using?

Microsoft released a security update this week that killed file sharing on Windows 7.

And "Homegroup" is still alive in Windows 10. The problem with homegroup is when you replace the computer that was the homegroup controller you have essentially lost the homegroup.

tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
As noted in my original post, Windows 10 Professional. There is no home group capability in Windows 10 Professional near as I can tell.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It was removed on version 1803.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...egroup-removed
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post

I already knew it was removed. Thanks
Old 01-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #6

Sorry I can't help much.

Best advice i've got, based on being in the same boat years ago - go Linux. Ubuntu Linux on my desktop & laptop, Xigmanas (FreeBSD UNIX) NAS. To use Steve Jobs line - it just works.

Apple and Microsoft drive me nuts.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #7

I have a similar problem with Windows 10. I have a LAN and Network storage, cameras, TVs, xbox, printers, etc on the network.
Two of the 3 PCs I have can see everything on the LAN and one can see everything except the network storage. Strange - I can ping it but can't access it via windows explorer.
So I share a little of your pain. You might consider a NAS for your files and just connect to that hard drive.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
have you tried to create a share for the file share Dir ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...over-a-network

I keep a ID which is the same on all the PC for accessing file shares and use a net use command when the PC started to make the connection

net use Z: \\PC NAME\SHARE_NAME password /user:PC_NAME\ID