Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Home Satellite Dish for RV

Other than having to aim it every time you set it up at a different location, is there any reason not to use a home dish as a portable RV dish?

They are very inexpensive and the larger dish would give better reception than the small domes.

Also it somebody decided to take it on a "five finger discount" you would not be out a bunch of $$.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
That's very common. Tripod mounts for a home-style dish are readily available.

Even better is an automatic dish (not dome) mounted on the roof of your RV. They aim themselves, and stealing it would be pretty hard to do.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm looking at a Trav'ler from Winegard but just toying with options. A hundred bucks vs. $1,500 more or less.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
True. Depends on how you want to spend your time and what your frustration level is, I guess. If you're mostly parking long term then the setup time probably isn't a big deal. The park we're in right now has a large percentage of long term residents, and many of them use a tripod or other type of ground mount.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yeah, I can't decide - if you park under a tree the roof mount is kinda worthless yet dealing the a carryout could be a headache.

Heck, I own an RV so you know my frustration level is HIGH! Got Cummings/Onan still scratching their heads about my generator.

Put every system in your house on wheels and shake it real good running down a bumpy road and the expect it all to work???

Probably should go with that auto setup!!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #6

I had the Winegard Trav'ler 1000 installed, better than at home. Great system push one button and it takes over and if we set up in some trees we have the Winegard Carryout and 100' of cable also a good way to go with 50' of aircraft cable and a big lock. If you think someone is going to lift it, set it on a slide or on the roof. I did the old dish sunday quarterback thing with the wife calling out numbers and she did not like it.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #7

I have a home satellite dish for mine. I don't remember exactly what model or whatever it is, but it's HD ready. Not to hard to setup. But I have a permanent site and don't have to reset it up all the time. Cost me $130 brand new from a directv retailer. I put mine in a location where my kids won't be messing with it all the time, which also makes it pretty hard to steal.
srt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a dish 1000.4 via Craigslist for $35.00. A few pieces of spare lumber and some screws, created a stand for it. Works fine.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been on the road over a month and our Tailgater from Dish has performed flawlessly! No matter where we park we can find a clear piece of sky and one call to dish gets the local channels. Highly recommend it.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I do both. I have a Trav'ler installed and a tripod antenna for "emergencies". You really can't beat the Trav'ler for convenience and it's a full service antenna. Just press a button and within a couple of minutes you're up and running with any combination of receivers.

I rarely have to use the tripod, but it's nice to have it. I get a bit rusty at setting it up since I don't use it often. One issue I ran into with the tripod antenna is that the external satellite input only feeds the living room receiver. Feeding the bedroom meant running a second coax. The Trav'ler feeds both receivers.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me make it easy:
Quote:
is there any reason not to use a home dish as a portable RV dish?
No, none at all, in fact that is what many do.. Here is one way to do it.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot, get a piece of straight pipe the same diamater as the "Mast" pipe (the angled pipe from the bracket to the dish) NOTE: this comes in one length. TOO LONG, you may need to cut it in half..

Get a TV-Tripod This is a tripod about 4-5 feet tall, and it will hold the pipe described above.

Mount the dish on the pipe

Now, there is a mod you can make makes it easier to travel but how to it varies a bit from dish to dish.. Look at the reflector (DISH) end of the LNB arm, there should be 4 rivets each side, You drill them out, Replace two of them (top farthest from dish) with bolts and washers, Use NYLOCK nuts and tighten snug but not tight.

You use a standard pin such as the square pins used for tow bars, but a bit longer (Any decent bolt and nut store) in the bottom set nearest the dish when set up.. Or pull the pin, fold the arm into the dish, and re-pin for transport. NOTE this is optional most do NOT do it You can mess up a dish this way.

You will need to learn how to point, If you ahve a smart phone there is a Sat-Finder ap that may help. but here is how I used to do it.

Go to set up page enter current locations ZIP CODE Choose bird and write down teh settings (For DISH there are 3 Elevation, Tilt, Azimuth

Preset Elevation and tilt on dish

Slowly swing through azimuth to peak.. Touch up el and az a bit and lock it down

You also need to anchor the tripod.. Many hang 2 or 3 gallong jugs of water.. NOT GOOD. if weights can swing, they can pull the dish over and bend the )(@#$R out of it.. Weight must touch ground.. 5 Gallon jug with adjustable strap works well

Harbor freight sells a device called "The Claw"

Again with an adjustable strap it works well... I have one.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #12

Satellite TV for RV - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV - RV television - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod

That's all you need. Click on it.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputydog View Post
Yeah, I can't decide - if you park under a tree the roof mount is kinda worthless .
I carry one on a tripod for that very reason.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
You really can't beat the Trav'ler for convenience and it's a full service antenna. Just press a button and within a couple of minutes you're up and running with any combination of receivers.
Yep. It's not cheap but hard to beat push-button anytime convenience covering all birds simultaneously just like at home... and it doesn't mind setting up in the cold or at night or in the rain. Plus no concerns about theft. Is is a chunk o' change up front though.

Personally I don't carry a manual dish because most of the times I've been under trees setting up a manual dish would have been problematical as well, and I just don't want to spare the room for the few exceptions. I can see why you would though, just not me.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite