Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hookup H25-500 to 18" sat dish

In the past I could take my Directv receiver from my house and hook it up in my rv with no problems. I am full time now and a friend got me a H25-500 receiver - hooked it up like I did the old one and no go. After some research this is a swm only receiver and requires a swm conversion kit. Well I ordered the kit and connected everything according to the directions and still get no signal from satellite. The dish I am using is the old 18" round crank up model that was installed on the rv when it was new. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #2

Does your receiver know what dish style you're using?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes - I can set it for 18" round and it does see the swm.

Thanks,

jim
Old 08-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #4

That receiver(HD-25) is a poor choice for a RV. It does not have an internal power source to power either a HD or non HD dish. You will have to purchase a power supply (different one for HD or non HD dish), and a SWIM-8 multiswitch to insert the power to the dish. you would be better off with a HD-24, which has a internal power supply, and can be configured for 18" dish, or a SWIM or non-SWIM HD dish. Hope this helps.

Gary from SC
Gary from SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Gary, I have the SWIM-8 multiswitch and the power inserter hooked up - I know now that the H25 is not ideal but an exchange would be difficult.

Jim
Old 08-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #6

Get a Wineguard Pathway X2 and a Dish receiver (211k,211z,Wally) and enjoy HD TV.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #7

Try going to page 8 of this manual and see if you have everything setup as shown. There is no reason your setup should not work.

Be certain that you have any unused terminals capped with the 75 ohm terminators that came with your SWM8 switch. Also be sure that you have a direct line from the SWM switch to your H25. Any splitter in the line will kill the 29 volts necessary to make things work. And confirm that the "IRD" terminal of your PI goes to the receiver and the "SWM" side goes to the the SWM switch. You should be golden.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
Try going to page 8 of this manual and see if you have everything setup as shown. There is no reason your setup should not work.

Be certain that you have any unused terminals capped with the 75 ohm terminators that came with your SWM8 switch. Also be sure that you have a direct line from the SWM switch to your H25. Any splitter in the line will kill the 29 volts necessary to make things work. And confirm that the "IRD" terminal of your PI goes to the receiver and the "SWM" side goes to the the SWM switch. You should be golden.
Thanks for your help, The PDF that you attached is what I used for the original setup. After hours attempting to get a signal from sat I ran coax cable directly from sat to SWM and ran the output from the IRD to the receiver - still no luck. I think that the problem my be the LNB on dish itself - I am currently asking around campsite and talking to the owners to see if there are any compatable LNB's that I could test with. I thought this would be relatively easy - but I was wrong! Will update when I can.

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 08-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #9

It will be interesting to know what you find out. Your setup should be working.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was sure it would work also.....will update ASAP.

Jim
Old 09-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK....After exchanging the H25 receiver for a H24 and installing a new lnb I was still unable to pick up a signal - even went as far as to run a cable directly from the sat to receiver - no go. I finally said screw it and bought a portable sat dish - everything works now.

Jim

Tags
dish