RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2019, 09:17 PM   #1

Lightbulb How (and why) to throttle your own WiFi

Most of us know the bane of most “ unlimited” data plans is when you use up your high speed “allowance” and have to suffer the rest of the month with low priority or slowed bandwidth. AT&T for instance on many plans will give you a miserly 128 kbps after your high speed allotment.

In my experience, the popular streaming services will typically consume 4-5 mbps if you let them allocate their own bandwidth. And that’s SD, not HD. However it’s quite possible to get acceptable video with as low as 600 kbps. In everyday use, I limit my smart TV’s to 1 mbps. So they’re only chowing down 20-25% of the data they’ll eat if you allow them to help themselves.

Now bandwidth management is nothing new to networking geeks, but for the average RV user, we’re more used to dealing with too little bandwidth, not too much. But watch a few movies at the default, and watch your high speed allowance melt away. I’m by no means presenting an original concept here, just one that gets surprisingly small attention in the mobile community. The only thread I found on the topic here is an excellent explanation by DocJ of how it is done using WiFi Ranger equipment. Unfortunately that thread is too old to reply to, but here it is.

Has anyone tried this with his WiFiRanger?

Obviously, the specific HOW is particular to the router you’re using. Not all routers even have this function. I’ll invite users of other brands to post up their instructions if they like, and perhaps you’ll help others with the same brand to better manage their not so UNLIMITED data plan.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 09:46 PM   #2

The Netgear Nighthawk M1 has some interesting features when looking at usage

This can be done with ATT & Verizon

Old 10-06-2019, 11:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Most of us know the bane of most “ unlimited” data plans is when you use up your high speed “allowance” and have to suffer the rest of the month with low priority or slowed bandwidth. AT&T for instance on many plans will give you a miserly 128 kbps after your high speed allotment.

In my experience, the popular streaming services will typically consume 4-5 mbps if you let them allocate their own bandwidth. And that’s SD, not HD. However it’s quite possible to get acceptable video with as low as 600 kbps. In everyday use, I limit my smart TV’s to 1 mbps. So they’re only chowing down 20-25% of the data they’ll eat if you allow them to help themselves.

Now bandwidth management is nothing new to networking geeks, but for the average RV user, we’re more used to dealing with too little bandwidth, not too much. But watch a few movies at the default, and watch your high speed allowance melt away. I’m by no means presenting an original concept here, just one that gets surprisingly small attention in the mobile community. The only thread I found on the topic here is an excellent explanation by DocJ of how it is done using WiFi Ranger equipment. Unfortunately that thread is too old to reply to, but here it is.

Obviously, the specific HOW is particular to the router you’re using. Not all routers even have this function. I’ll invite users of other brands to post up their instructions if they like, and perhaps you’ll help others with the same brand to better manage their not so UNLIMITED data plan.
I'm getting an unknown page with this link.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #4

Just tried the YouTube link. Works fine
Old 10-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasure1 View Post
Just tried the YouTube link. Works fine
the youtube link works. i was having problems with the wifiranger one from docj. i found it here:

on edit: of course both work now
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
the popular streaming services will typically consume 4-5 mbps if you let them allocate their own bandwidth. And that’s SD, not HD.
Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with your experience there.

480i (aka SD) is usually less than 1Mbps to 2Mbps (it varies because the encoding results in multiple bitrates depending on picture contents). 360p (some YouTube videos) would be even less at 400Kbps to 1.5Mbps.

1080p (highest quality HD, but remember 720p and 1080i are still considered HD) is 4Mbps to 6Mbps on most streaming services. 720p can be as low as 2Mbps.

The numbers I quote can be found all over the web if you search for streaming resolution bitrates.

dmp1991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi