Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How difficult is it to use a tripod dish w/ H3 & wireless Joey coast to coast?

This maybe a dumb question but I'm not a satellite-savvy RVer. At our winter residence we have a Hopper 3 & 2 wireless Joeys in our park model. I would like to take these devices on the road when we depart AZ for the summer and use them in our Camelot. Due to problems with trees I think the tripod would be our best solution but my 2 attempts at pointing a dish (pre H3)both ended up with expensive & crappy cable.

How difficult is it to setup & align a full-sized dish on a tripod & will I have to swap out LNB's when I get to ME? Isn't there a specific model of Dish antenna required & where can I acquire one?

I have noticed that each time I put my Dish service on hold the price goes up...shouldn't this help curb price increases?

Lastly, are there any really good instructions for setting up / pointing a dish with an H3?

Thanks in advance...billgr (in Mesa AZ)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 04:15 AM   #2

Here is everything you will need from https://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/. You will want the DPH LNB's. I would get the conversion kit also. Once you set up the dish a few times it will get easier. You will also need to get an Eastern DPH LNB from another website.

https://tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=4

https://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/index....ct_detail&p=95

https://rvseniormoments.files.wordpr...les-150dpi.jpg
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
How difficult is it to setup & align a full-sized dish on a tripod & will I have to swap out LNB's when I get to ME? Isn't there a specific model of Dish antenna required & where can I acquire one?

I use a standard home model 1000.2 antenna and tripod with the western arc LNBs. These should work OK even up into the north east part of the US, but you may have a difficult time seeing 129 as it will be low on the horizon.

The eastern arc would be better from Maine, this would require changing the LNB part of the antenna.

The actual setting up and pointing of the dish takes me about 10-15 minutes. Less if I don't need to re-adjust the dish's elevation or skew.

If your receiver has a "Point Dish" page, this makes it a little easier to force the selection of the LNB used when pointing (119, the center LNB). The key is to level the mast, if the mast isn't level, you'll chase pointing angles all day.

This is the basic process I use:
  • I find a location that has good visibility of the satellite chain (129, 119, 110).
  • Assemble the antenna, adjust skew and elevation.
  • mount the antenna on the tripod.
  • level the mast.
  • secure the mast to the ground with weight or anchor
  • connect the antenna to the receiver with the squawk box meter.
  • Select 119 on the Rx pointing page. This forces the antenna to use the center LNB.
  • Cover the two outside LNBs with metal to prevent any signals from being seen by them
  • slowly rotate the antenna back and forth through the azimuth (pointing direction) until the squawk sees the signal.
  • Verify on the Rx page that it is 119 being recieved.
  • tweek the elevation and azimuth for max signal.
  • remove the LNB covers
  • remove the squawk box and connect the cables together with barrel connector.
I use my home receiver when we travel, so if we stop for more than a day or two, I'll set up the antenna. Here is a write up I did with a lot more detail.

Using our home Dishnet VIP222 receiver while on the road – 1999 Southwind 35S

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SatAnt_17_600.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	234266  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:54 AM   #4

just get a pathway x2 and make life easier
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I use a standard home model 1000.2 antenna and tripod with the western arc LNBs. These should work OK even up into the north east part of the US, but you may have a difficult time seeing 129 as it will be low on the horizon.

The eastern arc would be better from Maine, this would require changing the LNB part of the antenna.

The actual setting up and pointing of the dish takes me about 10-15 minutes. Less if I don't need to re-adjust the dish's elevation or skew.

If your receiver has a "Point Dish" page, this makes it a little easier to force the selection of the LNB used when pointing (119, the center LNB). The key is to level the mast, if the mast isn't level, you'll chase pointing angles all day.

This is the basic process I use:
  • I find a location that has good visibility of the satellite chain (129, 119, 110).
  • Assemble the antenna, adjust skew and elevation.
  • mount the antenna on the tripod.
  • level the mast.
  • secure the mast to the ground with weight or anchor
  • connect the antenna to the receiver with the squawk box meter.
  • Select 119 on the Rx pointing page. This forces the antenna to use the center LNB.
  • Cover the two outside LNBs with metal to prevent any signals from being seen by them
  • slowly rotate the antenna back and forth through the azimuth (pointing direction) until the squawk sees the signal.
  • Verify on the Rx page that it is 119 being recieved.
  • tweek the elevation and azimuth for max signal.
  • remove the LNB covers
  • remove the squawk box and connect the cables together with barrel connector.
I use my home receiver when we travel, so if we stop for more than a day or two, I'll set up the antenna. Here is a write up I did with a lot more detail.

Using our home Dishnet VIP222 receiver while on the road – 1999 Southwind 35S

Will this method work with the Wally also?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Will this method work with the Wally also?
I don't know. If the Wally has a "Point Dish" with a screen similar to the one I use, I suspect it should work. Look around in the MENU and see if there is an Installation page that has the point dish listed.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Consolenut

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
just get a pathway x2 and make life easier
We hardly ever watch the same program at the same time...I will have to get 2 which will add at least $660 to this equation!

Tags
dish