Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
How do I get rid of Internet Security 2010 ?

We I turn on my old laptop Internet Security 2010 starts scanning my laptop and show I got viruses. At the end of the scan they want $54 to fix my laptop. It a old laptop and not worth the $54. I only use it every now and then when Dianne is on the new laptop and I want to get on line. I cannot find it in the program files to remove. I use AVG on my other laptop and desttop at home. How can I get rid of it?
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't do it It's a scam.... They are the ones who put it there. So now they want you to buy their program (which is another scam) to get rid of it.

Is Internet Security 2010 your program? Sounds like a scam I had on my old computer in 08' getting infested with a virus called "Internet Pro 2008". If Internet Security 2010 is not your program, do a Google search of Internet Security 2010 Virus and see if there is an easy fix. The easiest fix we went with was to just quarantine it. When we Googled Internet Pro 2008 many other people got the same scam which like I said above they are the ones who put it there in the first place. It said you could quarantine it or re-move it with a very complex series of programing moves involving your computers Registry. I choice just to quarantine it.....Never mess with your Registry unless you know what you are doing.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #3

if you have IE6 on windows XP-or something run what'in your computer-look in all programs windows defender better than nothing---it's from MS any way
Old 01-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It sounds to me as though you may have some malware on that computer. I recommend that you download this Malwarebytes.org and run. Then do a virus scan with whatever protection you are running.

Beware of anything that pops up on your computer and asks for money, in fact - beware of anything that pops up on your computer at all. Chances are it's bad news.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
If I type in AVG in search the screen goes blank. It will let let me into any other virus control. I know it is a scam, just want it gone.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #6

I ridded my computer of such a program by using the search feature in Windows. Run a search for "Internet Security 2010", when completed you will see a list of files containing those terms. Delete all those files to remove the program. There are risks involved using this method, be sure you have installation disks for all desired programs first. CCleaner will remove remaining orphan files and missing links.
Try to go to any anti-virus website, such as Norton, AVG, etc. if you are blocked - you have troubles_ with a capitol T! It might be faster and easier to just re-format the HD and begin all over.

After my troubles I began using Malwarebytes, Spybot-Search and Destroy, Avira AV, and CCleaner regularly, no issues since.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #7

if your running xp, restore it to an earlier date
Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I'm guessing somone clicked on the very official looking popup that warned of viruses. That loaded the malware that keeps giving you those pop ups. I got this some time ago. I'm guessing you have a black striped yellow shield down by the clock?

As someone mentioned, do a search, find it and delete it. If you don't, it'll keep popping up. Eventually though, I ended up doing a reformat and started over.

Good luck.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
if your running xp, restore it to an earlier date
Billyb, I have rarely if ever have been able to get a restore point to work.

■ ■■ ■■ ■■ ■■ ■■ ■■ ■

I am using Norton Internet Security 2010 over Windows 7 and it's a very good program. I highly recommend it.

NIS doesn't automatically scan your machine and ask you for money so I expect that you have a virus or maleware. Bad stuff. If you can't get rid of the problem the techs at Norton can remotely log in to your machine and clean up your hard drive. Guaranteed.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #10

Follow Janet H's advice and go to malwarebytes.org. The quick scan should do it.
sundancekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
Follow Janet H's advice and go to malwarebytes.org. The quick scan should do it.
Ditto this recommendation
Once it's cleaned do not, I repeat, do not click on ANY link contained in an email unless you have an anti virus program installed. Even friends can unknowingly send bad links to you.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Norton typically won't allow System Restore to work as it thinks you are trying to restore to a point that has bad software found in a previous scan.

Google Norton System Restore for procedures to stop Norton so System Restore will work.

Me and my computer are much happier since I removed Norton from my computer.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #13

thanks every one for the help---
I appreciate as well.

rich in Va.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #14

look the easy way turn off and when restarting hit f10 on boot up resets to the factory specs.