Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
As I understand it the reason you can not get locals in other areas than your own besides the spot beam problem is that advertisers who pay a lot of money don't want you watching a channel where you can not see his advertisement. If you want mobile or "DNS" service you will have to fill out a waiver and send a copy of the registration for your MH or boat. They will not allow receivers with local service and DNS on the same account. They might allow suspension of receivers and let you have one with DNS after you file the waiver. That is what they told us when we had Directv in our home and wanted DNS service to travel. We went with the antenna and left the account as is for the short time back then. Now we only have Directv in the MH so our address is where we winter and we get Miami locals. When traveling back and forth it's the antenna or no local stations when we get far enough out of the spot beam for south Florida.

Be careful if you go full time and try to cancel your sticks and bricks account, they are not willing to let you out of a contract. You may be able to change it to a mobile but watch out they don't start your contract date up new.

About hacking Directv AFAIK there has been no hack since the HU (football) cards were turned off in 2004. The only compromise is people sharing an account in different homes or subscribing for someone else outside of the U.S. They do not think that stuff is funny either and will pursue you with legal action.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #44

Direct TV can give you both, there are those who have it, either by grandfathering or a loophole. The FCC won't allow them to now, my question is why not. I know DTV doesn't care, they can get money for two accounts so there is no advantage to them. I'm just curious why the FCC has such a rule.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I understand the nature of the "spot beam", but I don't understand WHY the FCC has the limitations on RV's. If I can get local channels via an outside antenna what shouldn't I be able to get them from my satellite? I can't use the DVR on the sat box when I'm outside the local channel area unless I change zip codes which then kills the local channel for my residence. Family at home wouldn't like it. It all seems rather silly to me.
falconman
1.) Local network stations want you to watch the commercials on their broadcasts via antenna or satellite.... not the commercials from far away stations via satellite.
2.) Broadcasting every local channel everywhere in the country would be a "financial hardship" for Dish network and/or DirecTV.
3.) As usual "the government" has implemented rules and regulations protecting the financial interest of "big business, (with no regard for the interests of ordinary citizens... like you and me).

BTW, if you want to watch local stations via sattelite in one area of the country while someone in your home watches the local stations via sattelite there.... you have to pay for 2 different 2 satellite program subscriptions.
IMO there is nothing silly about that....(if you want 2 different people to drive 2 different cars to 2 different places at the same time you need 2 different cars).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote