Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How far West will the Traveler see 61.5?

If I keep my Traveler set to seek the 61.5 satellite from the Eastern Arc how far west can we travel before loosing the 61.5?

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #2

Following

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
61.5 covers everywhere in the continental USA and PR. However as you go west the elevation angle gets lower and lower in the sky, making finding a compatible location to receive harder. Local TV markets on 61.5 spot beams go as far west as Montana and West Texas.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
61.5 covers everywhere in the continental USA and PR. However as you go west the elevation angle gets lower and lower in the sky, making finding a compatible location to receive harder. Local TV markets on 61.5 spot beams go as far west as Montana and West Texas.
Thinking about getting the travler with Dish and really don't understand this "east and west Arc" thing. From what you are saying if you have a east coast set-up you are out of luck on the west coast or do you just switch somehow to the western arc by changing your location?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Thinking about getting the travler with Dish and really don't understand this "east and west Arc" thing. From what you are saying if you have a east coast set-up you are out of luck on the west coast or do you just switch somehow to the western arc by changing your location?
The Trav'ler comes setup with the Western arc sats. You can manually set it to receive only the 61.5 Eastern arc sat with the control box. I did this three times on my previous trip when the Western arc sats were blocked by trees.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Thanks, that tells me what I need to know.

Bob
Old 11-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
If I keep my Traveler set to seek the 61.5 satellite from the Eastern Arc how far west can we travel before loosing the 61.5?
If you now get your local TV stations on 61.5, after a few hundred miles of travel, you'll lose your local stations. You will get 61.5 for some programming, but you won't get your locals.

Here's a DISH Western/Eastern Arc Tutorial.

Since most DISH markets use the Western Arc sats for their HD locals, you should stick with the Travler's default Western Arc, not the Manual mode. In general the few markets that use the Eastern Arc sats exclusively for HD locals are sprinkled in the East and MidWest. Here's a map:

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:38 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
If you now get your local TV stations on 61.5, after a few hundred miles of travel, you'll lose your local stations. You will get 61.5 for some programming, but you won't get your locals.

Since most DISH markets use the Western Arc sats for their HD locals, you should stick with the Travler's default Western Arc, not the Manual mode. In general the few markets that use the Eastern Arc sats exclusively for HD locals are sprinkled in the East and MidWest. Here's a map:

The reason I decided to keep the Traveler in the Manual 61 mode is because my locals were SD on the Western Arc. Maybe I did something wrong but they did not fill out the television screen and the picture was a poor quality. When looking at the locals on the 61 bird they were high definition just like the other channels.

Zooming in on the map I see that Knoxville TN, where my locals are, is indeed standard definition on the Western Arc and high definition on the Eastern Arc. There is no way I am going to watch my locals in SD unless there is no other option, like when there is no OTA or the Eastern Arc is to low in the sky and we have to shift to the Western Arc.

Bob
Old 11-12-2019, 06:51 AM   #9

Quote:

I love this map! It answers a LOT of questions on trying to get locals as we travel. I found out that the Dish Network people I chat with when getting the locals changed do not know that locals may not be available when viewing the Eastern arc. In fact several of the Dish peopke didn't even know there was a Eastern Arc!

Do you happen to have a footprint map showing where each spot beam is effective?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:57 AM   #10

Quote:

I love this map! It answers a LOT of questions on trying to get locals as we travel. I found out that the Dish Network people I chat with when getting the locals changed do not know that locals may not be available when viewing the Eastern arc. In fact several of the Dish peopke didn't even know there was a Eastern Arc!

Do you happen to have a footprint map showing where each spot beam is effective?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post

Yes, I would also be interested in a spot beam map of coverage in different parts of the lower 48.

Bob
Old 11-12-2019, 07:10 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
How far West will the Traveler see 61.5?

Satellite guys web site used to do that. Put in your market and see the approximate beam on a map. See the East or west beam pattern Very useful for selecting which “local” to pick for my next few days travel. The data was no longer updated for the past few years and now no longer works. I know of no similar easy to use click and look site. If someone does find something easy speak up. I should have printed / downloaded the maps years ago , but it was too easy to pick Tennessee, then Knoxville then see the satellite transponder the locals were on click it and see the map. Now I just quess or just put in my current location and change it more frequently.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Satellite guys web site used to do that. Put in your market and see the approximate beam on a map. See the East or west beam pattern Very useful for selecting which “local” to pick for my next few days travel. The data was no longer updated for the past few years and now no longer works. I know of no similar easy to use click and look site. If someone does find something easy speak up. I should have printed / downloaded the maps years ago , but it was too easy to pick Tennessee, then Knoxville then see the satellite transponder the locals were on click it and see the map. Now I just quess or just put in my current location and change it more frequently.
This web page has helped me determine which satellite is showing the HD locals. It's probably out of date too, but better than nothing.

Local Channels on DISH Network (Unofficial Listing)
Old 11-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #14

I'll add my two cents. I had Direct Tv with my Traveler and was told I wouldn't be able to see my local channels(Wash. D.C.) once I hit the road. I was able to watch them from Harrington, Me. to south Fl.. I was told it was impossible, and rather than argue about it I just said OK and hung up the phone.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel