RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
Hughes Autoformer and Surge Protection

This might be a dumb question. I've been reading the posts on the surge protectors and see I may need one. I've been living the russian roulette myself for the past 30+ years .

So, my question is.. if I have one of the Hughes 50A Autoformers.. Will I still need one a surge protector? I'd guess the answer might still be yes. I'd think the transformer would absorb the spikes but, won't protect me from "way low" or "way high" voltages. I've used it in Mexico where one park was lower than the limit on the HA.. and the voltage in the coach was still low. Never had a "too high" condition.

If I got one of the TCI's and plugged it in BEFORE the HA.. it seems like it would click out before the autoformer had a chance to click in. Not sure what would happen if it was plugged into the autoformer.. output side.

I know that the autoformer has some spike protection.. don't know if things might interact.. adversely. Finally, the Progressive Industries Smart Surge doesn't have some of the goodies like Low and Hi voltage protection.. Might that be OK? I see Progressive has an EMS type unit..

It's getting greek to me, only in that I don't know how they might interact with each other.

Thanks for any pointers..

Anyhow, any thought clarifying would be beneficial to me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #2

If it were me I would use a surge protector only before the HA to protect the HA. The HA has some surge protection but not enough in my opinion. The SSP50 SSP-50
would be a good choice.

tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #3

If the surge prot has low/high voltage cut-out then you want it after tge HA.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techie View Post
If the surge prot has low/high voltage cut-out then you want it after tge HA.
Agreed otherwise you will loose the benefit of the HA

For the ultimate in convenience have them hard wired in if you have room. This also prevents people that are shopping for a good deal on SP and AF from helping themselves to yours.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #5

Depends on the model SP you choose.

We have the our SP in front of out HA. Our SP cuts out at 104V, and I know that going in. So, we get help from 104V and above. Below 104V, I don't want to be on that power grid.

When looking at SP's, they are not all the same. Look for the joules ratings, as this will be one of the differences.

Best of luck,
Smitty
Old 09-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My RV has 30amp power. I bought one of these .Technology Research Corp - Portable 30 amp GFCI Surge Guard with Shock Shield - Surge Protectors - Camping World

To begin with I was going to buy one of these https://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...rge-guard/2279

But you can see the price difference. I have never had a problem with it.
The man that sold it to me had both in stock when I bought it. He said that the cheaper one was the better buy because if it get knocked out it gets fried anyway. As you can see in price the one I use is cheaper to replace. They have gone up in price since I got mine. I paid $53.00 for mine about 5 years ago. Have only had the power go out once since we have had this unit in a campground. It still works knock on wood
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is the problem: First, to the O/P,, I"m glad to read a post by someone who understands the diference between a spike and a surge.. For those who do ont When you hear "Spike" tihnk a line like this: | on the screen.

When you hear surge think ____-----____ (lasts a while)

The difference is a spike supressor is toast in a surge. Been there, listened to the fireworks. Replaced the fried MOV's

But the power guardian (A more proper name) will cut off if the voltage goes low

The job of the Auto former is to correct the low voltage

You need one where you can PROGRAM it to let 90 volts alone That easy.. if it cuts you off at 105 and the autoformer turns 90 into 110, then the protector has to follow, but if you can adjust the low voltage cut off.. it should go BEFORE the hughes... I do not know of one with that kind of ajustment a user can do.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Following a barrage of issues with heat pump and other electrical appliances, I surmised that the cause was low voltage and possible surges in older campgrounds. My solution was installation of a hughes autoformer and an Electric Management System from Progressive Industries. Wired shore power to Autoformer, Autoformer to EMS, EMS to Transfer switch. The Autoformer provides detection of low voltage and boosts the voltage if low ( less than 108 I think), the EMS provides detection of high or low voltage, surge protection, reverse polarity, open neutral, AC frequency, presence of 220 V and disconnects the electic service if any of the conditions are detected. The EMS also provides a time delay before trying to turn the system back on after one of the above problems is detected. This allows time for head pressure to decline on the heat pump.

This setup has worked flawlessly for me for the past 7 or 8 years. I hope this is helpful.

Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #9

surge protector

I too have the HA 50 amp unit. I talked with Hughes and they said to not to use the type that shuts off. I want my $114 surge protector in front of my $500 autoformer. To me it makes dollars and sense.
johnmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #10

A surge protector first then the auto former then a EMS.
If you put the EMS first it will cut off at low voltage then the auto former can't help.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #11

I didn't even think about a surge protector until I started getting ads from camping world. the cost is high. I don't know what all the initials stand for. I've got a 30 amp system on my coachman. Is there any other place to buy this stuff, cheaper?