Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #1

Importing Favorites from Vista to Win 8.1

I have looked all over... I'm not a computer whiz... but was wondering if it is possible to get my favorites from my old computer Vista.. to a new computer I just got which is now windows 8.1...

I hope someone can help me. There is a thread i found but lost of how
to convert it to txt so I can manually log on to each favorite and save it.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Dy
Northern Calif

'97 Allegro Bay 35' Chevy, '98 Saturn Wagon, Blue Ox Aventa II, Patriot Brake
rvgrammady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've never used Vista or Win 8.1, but you might try looking for the following:

Go to your Favorites tab on your Vista machine and see if you can find a selection for Import and Export. If so select that and it should give you the option of exporting your Favorites, among other things. Insert a thumb drive, and save your Favorites to the thumb drive.

Insert the thumb drive into your Win 8.1 machine, and reverse the process. HTH
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

This free download will make Windows 8 very similar to the older versions of windows.

Sorry, can't help you with moving the favorites.

Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Haven't used Windows 8 yet, but if it has the same file management structure as Vista and W7, then it is as easy as finding and copying the "favorites" file from the desktop folder to where ever they put it in W8.

Sorry that I can't be more specific but maybe that will give you a place to look for it. You know that you have the correct "favorites" folder if you open it and it has all of your places in it. W7 has at least 2 "favorites" folders, but the correct one is nested in the desktop folder, then in the subfolder with your user name.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Also, download either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome as your browser. Both are free and will run faster and cleaner than Internet Explorer. Both can import Favorites from your Vista machine.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
By favorites, I'm assuming you're taking about web sites you've saved for later reference. They're not tied to the OS (Vista, Win 8.1 etc). They're saved by the browser, like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

If you're using Internet Explorer, it might mean exporting your favorites to a file, then importing them to a new computer if you've upgraded. Chrome will allow you to tie the browser settings to your gmail address if you have one. That's what I use. I have the same favorites on my phone and several computers that I use. If I change one, they all get the change.

A lot depends on what you're using for your browser and email.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #7

Unlike XP (don't know about Vista) you don't copy the folders directly to or from Win7. Open IE and select the file menu. There you will find the import/export functions.