Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Improved Wi-Fi ??

We just returned from a two month journey to Florida, and were very disappointed with the quality of the advertised Wi-Fi signals. They were there, but so weak and spotty as to be virtually useless during daylight hours. ( Several times I set the alarm for 3 AM to take care of several important emails) . My iphone is AT&T, and I don't want to pay $20 per month additional year around for several months usage. Is there an antenna/amplifier that I can purchase which will improve the signal strength? What are your suggestions?
Someone told me about a card that could be purchased and plugged into the laptop which had a certain number of hours loaded, sort of like a Trac phone, but she didn't know any details. Any ideas that I can look into before our next camping expedition?
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
EDIT
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There are hundreds of wifi booster/antenna products out there....just Google either or both.

I have found in many cases that it's not the signal strength, it's the low bandwidth. In other words, too many users using a limited amount of band width. Think of bandwidth as the size of a water pipe. If the CG has a 1/2 inch pipe, not much water getting through.

So, just because you get a stronger signal, is no guarentee the connection will be faster. Your problem, getting up at 3:00am to do your business, is a bandwidth problem, small pipe but no one using the water. In the afternoon, 100 people using the same pipe.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I had that problem too and found an improvement.
Jefatech.com sells a repeater that is easy to use and greatly improves your range
and ability to stay connected.
Their model WRT54GL wireless is the one I found to work very well, Keep the outside antenna feed line as short as possible to reduce cable losses. I purchased their 15 dbm outside antenna for max gain and greatest range. I have had it running none
stop for almost a year and have not found one problem.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #5

Your choices really boil down to how important is a good connection to you. WiFi systems are workable if you can/want to work around less busy times or wait for better signals, or if a good connection more often is not worth the money it costs to get one. We have a couple of different WiFi signal boosters, and they both seem to work well. As has been said, however, a stronger signal does not necessarily mean a better experience. And just when you think you have everything figured out, a huge rig will pull in next to you and partially block the signal.

We have found that the only way for us to ensure adequate internet connection most of the time is with devices (MiFi/hot spots) from multiple providers. ATT, with the exception of areas of rural central IN and OH where they are the only source available, is nearly useless except near large cities. Verizon offers best data for us west of the Mississippi. Sprint east of the Mississippi is better for data in many areas we travel. Expensive, yes, but DW work and my wants demand we have decent coverage most of the time. Depending on commercial WiFi, for us, just would not cut it. Good luck with your choices.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
A side note to my earlier post. I have designed and installed many communications
systems and have a better understanding of your problem than most.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
It pretty much boils down to, you get what you pay for. WiFi is not an entitlement. Some one has to pay the bill. You can get prepaid MiFi's from several carriers and only pay when you use it.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #8

What sort of range do you get with the Jefa tech , I plan to order kit this weekend
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
What sort of range do you get with the Jefa tech , I plan to order kit this weekend
I am using the Jefa and it does improve the signal strength in the RV. Can pull in a weak signal from line of sight Wi-Fi. Distance of the pull in can vary depending on lots of things. I just got back from a trip and RV park Wi-Fi was very weak and I was about 100 yards from the park's antenna. The jefa pulled in the signal and I had internet in the RV just fine. HOWEVER it depends on the band width and "others" using the same Wi-Fi. There were times the internet access was so slow it was useless an times it works just fine. All considered the Jefa is worth having when needed an it has paid for its price.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #10

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
I recently stayed in a private rv park that said WIFI available ...for a price ,with my Jefa Tech repeter ,I picked up a motel from down the street.

I upgraded to the 15 db (5 foot) antenna from the 2 foot one . I have a range in open areas of up to a 1/4 mile . with the smaller antenna I had about half the range.

I have the antenna mounted to my tv mast .I am very happy with the unit.

Wayne
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I travel to remote areas a lot. From mountain tops the range is many miles depends on
what the line of sight is. Down where most use WiFi I have seen without the repeater one to three sights you can see without the repeater and turn it on and 6 or 7 systems
become useable. I would say a mile of two is common. The real gain is the transmit/rec antenna is above and in the clear of a lot of signal blocking items.
WiFi operates in the 2.4 and 5 gig area and the signal can be blocked with almost anything. What the repeater does is take your 20 to 30 mw signal and boost it to 100 mw then feed to a gain antenna in my case is a 15 db gain antenna that increases the signal 30 times. This works the same on received signals thus the increased range. I also have a cell repeater that works much the same way in a broad sense.

antenna
Old 03-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post

I have found in many cases that it's not the signal strength, it's the low bandwidth. In other words, too many users using a limited amount of band width. Think of bandwidth as the size of a water pipe. If the CG has a 1/2 inch pipe, not much water getting through.
Yes, this is the main issue when using free park wifi.
Even when using a repeater and a good antenna wifi service can be marginal at best.

As stated by other posters, Verizon data service will be best bet, but expensive.

My solution is to use both. I use a good repeater and directional antenna when wifi is working good at a park. I also have AT&T because of price. The rollover minutes and family talk plan is very affordable, so for now I will stick with them. The only problem as jzick stated, AT&T has poor reception outside of cities and off the interstate.

I found a good price on the Wilson truckers cell antenna and signal booster, so I installed that this year. So far it works great.

I also picked up a Lightning USB modem and a Cradlepoint router. Using the AT&T plan I can turn on and off data on an existing line any time I want. So if I'm at a park for 4 days that has no/poor wifi, I call AT&T and turn on data, when I leave I call and turn it off. So if I used data 4 days out of the month, AT&T will prorate the monthly $50.00 data fee and charge me for 4 days only.

The initial cost to set this all up was a little high, but happy now with the end result.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I can not stress enough you have to keep the feed line to the outside antenna as short
as possible as the RF loss per foot is out of sight at these freg.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #14

Thanks for the advice , will try to limit cable to 3 ft , hope it works as we spend our lives looking for Starbucks
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote