Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #1

In motion satellite question

I have a Tiffin Open Road RED with the "dome" satellite connected to Direct TV. Last weekend my receiver reset for no reason and it never came back. I called Direct and they sent a "technician" out and told me my satellite wasn't sending signal to receiver. I asked if the receiver could be bad and he said no but couldn't get on roof to check satellite as liability wouldn't let him. Is there anyway to test satellite? I can hear it moving trying to find satellite but won't come up. When I test with receiver there is no signal coming in. Any ideas? Thanks.
trdnface is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
Commercial Member

If the receiver truly reset itself, it may have lost the configuration settings to operate with the dome. I'm assuming if it's a newer Tiffin, it is outfitted with our RoadTrip T4 or RoadTrip Mission.

I'd try going through the receiver setup instructions as per this document: https://d38mfwkkxtsm2m.cloudfront.ne...ts/2452356.pdf

They are located on the second to last page of the PDF. Make sure to pay attention to the sequence - make sure the power to the in-motion is off until step 5.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:32 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
The "technician" should have put a signal meter on the incoming coax from the dome to confirm that the dome is finding satellites. The dome will locate them without the receiver.

If Winegard's instructions fail try disconnecting the coax to the receiver and making the receiver reset and try to get a signal. It will, of course, fail, but in my experience this causes the receiver to kind of get reset internally and forget whatever settings it had. That way you can start fresh.

Once the disconnected receiver fails reconnect the coax and go through the set up again.

Odds are (assuming the dome and the receiver work) you'll have a signal (also assuming you are in a clear sky area.

Good luck.