Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #1

In motion Satellite questions

We are looking into purchasing an in motion Satellite system for our coach. Who better to ask than those who already have them: What system(s) would you recommend and which ones would you stay away from? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks all!
Fishwerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Fishwerkes,
Welcome to iRV2. I have KVH and recommend you consider it. It has worked perfectly for the almost 4 years we have had it. During rallies, I have never been called to a coach with a KVH unit.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwerkes View Post
We are looking into purchasing an in motion Satellite system for our coach. Who better to ask than those who already have them: What system(s) would you recommend and which ones would you stay away from? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks all!
There are good in-motion systems out there and we can discuss each in detail.
First, however, are you sure that you need/want an in-motion system?

Drawbacks:
1) Much more expensive than a stationary use only dome.
2) Unable to ever receive the DirecTV HDTV programming (should work with Dish Network).
3) TV behind the drivers view required to watch while driving.
4) If you are hoping to record shows while driving the "punch line" always comes just as you drive under a bridge or beside a tree. Driving East to West on the N. side of the road isn't too bad since the trees are a bit further away but West to East you are usually right beside the trees and the signal drops out frequently. If you are hoping to entertain the kids, you might consider bringing DVD's or use a DVR to record programs while stationary and play them while moving.
5) There's something else I wanted to put here and I lost my train of thought!
6) If you do use a DVR and you plan to use the dome in-motion some users are reporting hard drive failures. I have to put that in there, but I have had a DirecTV R-15 DVR running 24/7, driving and stopped, for the last few years without issue. I had an R-10 before that and replaced it only because I was gifted an R-15.

If I think of that other thing I will add an additional post.

With all of that said, the Trac-Star is by far the best in-motion system out there but I believe that they only sell the 12 1/2" tall dome which is not my favorite due the even small dish. Trac-Star sold their technology to King Dome and they make a Trac-King with a full sized 15" dome. This unit is my personal recommendation if you do choose to take that route.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I choose Motosat as my IN-motion.. The unit I have is a DP model, (Dish Pro) This means that it feeds both Odd and Even transponders down the cable at the same time (Dual LNB, Frequency Domain duplexer, you don't need to know what those terms mean) It can feed a pair of DISHnetwork receivers using nothing more than a splitter (A very special splitter) or it can feed a pair of "De-Stackers" to feed two DirecTV receivers or a dual input DVR in both cases. Very nice.

Customer Support, if you need it, is Headquarted in Salt Lake City, UT, not overseas.

I've been very happy with this unit.. However the model I have is no longer made. They have a new improved one though

Do be aware.. IN-Motion domes can only see one satellite at a time.. Now some of 'em (mine can not, the impoved one can) can switch from 110-119 and some even to 127, fast enough to keep the receiver happy.... Some can not. but that is only if you have a SINGLE receiver
Old 06-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #5

Had a KVH non-motion upgraded to an in-motion absolutely love it....Jim K
MGO BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I choose Motosat as my IN-motion.. The unit I have is a DP model, (Dish Pro) This means that it feeds both Odd and Even transponders down the cable at the same time (Dual LNB, Frequency Domain duplexer, you don't need to know what those terms mean) It can feed a pair of DISHnetwork receivers using nothing more than a splitter (A very special splitter) or it can feed a pair of "De-Stackers" to feed two DirecTV receivers or a dual input DVR in both cases. Very nice.

Customer Support, if you need it, is Headquarted in Salt Lake City, UT, not overseas.

I've been very happy with this unit.. However the model I have is no longer made. They have a new improved one though

Do be aware.. IN-Motion domes can only see one satellite at a time.. Now some of 'em (mine can not, the impoved one can) can switch from 110-119 and some even to 127, fast enough to keep the receiver happy.... Some can not. but that is only if you have a SINGLE receiver
It sounds like you are describing the older Trac-Star dish that was private labeled and re-sold by MotoSAT. Is the inside controller a small black box with digital display that allows you to set zones, etc in the display?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #7

Bill, you mentioned that an in motion dome can not recieve HD. Did I understand that correctly? We have a KVH in motion dome and just installed DirecTV HD recievers and LCD HD TVs. Will we be losing stations on June 12th or whatever is supposed to happen?

Also we love our in motion dome and do use it going down the road some. It's nice for the weather channel when needed and the music aspect also.

Didn't want to be a total highjacker
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a Winegard in-motion which works well with my Dishnetwork. I have never had a problem with it seeing both sats. Although it is an HD dish I do not have HD yet and not sure I will get it anytime soon because the picture on the lcd is so much better even in std def I think I do not have to spend extra for HD. I've read with tv's this size (32") the difference is almost negligable, and I agree. I tried the tv on a family member's cable HD while visiting.

I had a KVH in motion on my last coach and like the Winegard much better. It locks on much quicker than the KVH did and loses in-motion signal less. Dealer wanter to put a KVH on this one and I vetoed that quickly. I had several problems with the KVH and was not happy with it.

I rarely use the in-motion feature driving because I am usually alone. Where it comes in handy a lot for me is when I am parking in a wooded area, which I do as often as possible, I will let it find the signal before I get to the area and 90% of the time it will keep the signal. It may lose it for a second or so as driving through but will lock on again.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
Bill, you mentioned that an in motion dome can not recieve HD. Did I understand that correctly? We have a KVH in motion dome and just installed DirecTV HD recievers and LCD HD TVs. Will we be losing stations on June 12th or whatever is supposed to happen?

Also we love our in motion dome and do use it going down the road some. It's nice for the weather channel when needed and the music aspect also.

Didn't want to be a total highjacker
Don't get HD confused with Digital. Nothing is going to happen to satellite on June 12th. Nothing! The digital conversion will be happening (finally, thank goodness!) to the over-the-air signal which you pick with your Winegard bat-wing (or similar) antenna. This is where you watch your local channel 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, etc.

Now as for satellite, you understand correctly that your KVH dome (no dome) will be able to pick up the DirecTV HDTV (additional paid package). You will still be able to use your existing HD receiver, you just won't get any of the HD programming and none of the satellite TV that you watch will be in HD. You should be able to crank up your Winegard and watch whatever HD and digital (all HD is digital, but digital is not necessarily HD) channel are available where you are currently parked.
Satellite signals are now, and always have been, digital. The receivers convert this signal to analog and send it to your TV. The HD receivers without an HD package will receive the digital signal and pass it to your TV as a digital signal but it still will not be HD.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
It sounds like you are describing the older Trac-Star dish that was private labeled and re-sold by MotoSAT. Is the inside controller a small black box with digital display that allows you to set zones, etc in the display?

NO, the unit was installed by Mitch at Motosat in Salt Lake City in 2006, in fact it was the morning of "Blizzard 2006"

The box is sliver, one toggle, one push button, several LED's most of 'em with numbers above them (101 110 119 higher and lower) I'm not in the coach so I can't snag model numbers easily. the manual is on my other computer as well.

I believe it was made right there at the factory where it was installed.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #11

OK, that's a different unit. MotoSAT has not had a very good history with their in-motion units so I am glad to hear that you are happy with yours.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #12

So who makes the better in motion units today? I may have to replace my old Winnegard AS-2003 soon.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
OK, that's a different unit. MotoSAT has not had a very good history with their in-motion units so I am glad to hear that you are happy with yours.
Motosat no longer makes mine either.. IT's the T-2 Automotion DP in case you wonder, Just remembered it's model designation.

THe original install was a single LNB job, not what I wanted, this was done by an installer here in Michigan. I visited Salt Lake City and MITCH installed the DP version, much better, But it had a minor issue with locking up.. Re-visited, he made the needed adjustment and all has been well since... at least as long as I used it, It is currently dormat as I don't have DirecTV just now.. Hope to re-join that service..... Soon, but there is a slight cash issue.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:53 AM   #14

Most all of the new domes made with in the last year now will recieve Full spetrum HD on Dish network but not Direct tv because Direct has moved there 1080 HD signal to the KA band and all domes are KU band. like Bill said. we have changed from 480dpi to 720dpi (Digital) and Full spectrum HD is 1080dpi. So dish network is staying on the KU band, (Dome) So right now if you want Direct HD you have to have a open face sationary dish type satellite for Direct HD, but if Digital 720dpi looks good to you a dome satellite will work just fine on direct tv or Dish network.

Doug Astfalk
KVH CSN
DougA is offline   Reply With Quote