Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2017, 02:01 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer

I want to add an indoor/outdoor thermometer and clock to the cab of my coach. I've found this one which is not gaudy or overly large.

It only lacks an atomic clock which I really like.

Other suggestions? In addition to not being overly large or gaudy, it should not have an always-on backlight.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #2

They also work good for check'n the fridge.....I have that model
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

I highly recommend this La Cross indoor/outdoor thermometer and clock. I have used it for 2 1/2 years. It has been trouble free. Since our Minnie resides in the back yard when we are not on the road the readout sits on a shelf in the bathroom while the sensors are with the trailer. Here is the readout mounted on the cabinet over the bed.

Here is a sensor mounted on the frame out of the weather but with very good air circulation. It is on my check list to remove before we hit the road.

Here is the spare sensor mounted in the pass through. It could be used in the refrigerator. The readout will accommodate two external sensors.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waywards View Post
I want to add an indoor/outdoor thermometer and clock to the cab of my coach. I've found this one which is not gaudy or overly large.

It only lacks an atomic clock which I really like.

Other suggestions? In addition to not being overly large or gaudy, it should not have an always-on backlight.
We have a similar model and put the remote in the frig during the summer to watch the temp in there when it gets hot outside. We put it in the wet bay in the winter to watch for freezing temps. Use alkaline batteries to get a full year out of them. I've used cheap "heavy duty" ones but they don't last more than a few months!
Old 12-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I have an Acurite weather station in my Gulfstream with wind speed direction out and indoor temps rain gauge and barameter. The best part is I can set alarms for temp and wind speed to tell me to turn on tank heaters or bring in awning. $100 or less at Wally World
Old 12-05-2017, 05:54 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have one of these. I tried many different places to put the remote transmitter, There always seems to be a compromise between driving and stopping. I finally mounted it to the windshield wiper mount under the hood. It gives good outside readings while driving. When stopped, the readings aren't accurate for a hour or so until the engine cools down.

I had it in the propane tank compartment and tried the frig compartment, but it would read high when we were driving. Engine heat probably.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #7

Here's what I also useClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171023_153441224.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	184783
Old 12-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Here's what I also useAttachment 184783

Bob,
where do you mount the sensor?
Summer wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #9

On a short metal pipe attached to one side, at top, of ladder.....I take it off when traveling
Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #10

Instuctions said to keep it as close as possible pointing north.....the wind gauge end
Old 12-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #11

[QUOTE=bob caldwell;3929659]They also work good for check'n the fridge.....I have that model[/QUOTE

X 2, I have used one for a long time, it saves opening the reefer, the other part gives me my indoor temp.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Here is what I did.... mounted above drivers seat and installed a switch to turn off if needed....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermonitor.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	184891

Bought from a semi truck mag. and installed outside temp sender in wheel well below drivers seat. It works incredibly well...

Dave
Old 12-06-2017, 10:20 PM   #13

Have a combo clock alarm and indoor with two outdoor sensor Radio Shack system.

We never could find a good place to mount the outdoor that was not a compromise of some kind. The best was, as mentioned by others, in the LP compartment which is opened to the bottom. But still was always off 3-5 degrees depending upon different factors. Finally moved the unit over to inside the water bay by the fresh water tank.

I activated the second outdoor sensor, and now when setup, I find a location close to teh coach and in the shade. Use one of those big large rubberized twisty's to mount it. And always also locate one of our solar lights close by it (Moving it enough to get sun.). I used one of the four solar lights we have, because when I'm putting the lights away during campground breakdown, I know I'm not done until the fourth light is in. And, the further light has been painted Red/Blue on the sides - which was my reminder of GET THE SECOND OUTDOOR SENDER!! (Did this, after we were 20 minutes down the road before I realized I had not packed the sender!).

This has worked well for us now for abou three years. I calibrated the units at home with a known temperature gauge, and they're both senders are within 1 degree of my known gauge. One lower, the other higher... So close enough!

The Radio Shack unit is no longer sold, I tried to get one for the about 5-6 years ago, and not even in their catalog or online...

Travel safe, and best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #14

I use a similar Acurite model and have the remote sensor located in the wet bay beside the fresh water tank.
It allows me to monitor cold weather temperatures while drive south from Canada to Florida in January.
I tested it one cold day and the exterior temp was 34 deg / indoor 36 deg.
After turning on the propane furnace, the exterior temp rose to 56 deg. and interior to 64 deg.
So, it works great and keeps me informed on weather the furnace is heating my basement while travelling.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, indoor