RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Install Winegard traveler and Hopper 3 with sling

We are in a catch 22 situation with installing a Winegard traveler 1000 and Hopper 3 with sling. The shop that was doing the install has told us they just canít get the 2 too work together. The tech doing the install told us that he has had Winegard and Hopper walk him through the setup. The hopper screen said it pared the remote but freezes on download the satellite information. The download starts the download screen and will be finished in 10 mim but when it gets to 6 min locks up. You have to unplug the Hopper to turn it off.
Winegard told the tech that there is nothing wrong with the satellite and itís a dish problem. The Dish tech said that they have no problem with the Hopper itís working as it should and itís Winegard problem. Dish canít explain why the hopper freezes on recognizing the satellites.
If you have had this problem on installing with the Hopper freezing up, I would appreciate a post on how you solved the problem. As adding information when the shop first started the install, we were told that we need the following parts to make the Satellite and Hopper work together.
DPH42 Hybrid Switch, Dish Network Dish Pro Hybrid Solo Hub

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #2

On the front of the travler control box what sats does it show? And is there a (*) next to each one? If not the travler is not locking onto the sats.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
The hopper screen said it pared the remote but freezes on download the satellite information.

Dish canít explain why the hopper freezes on recognizing the satellites.

The download starts the download screen and will be finished in 10 mim but when it gets to 6 min locks up. You have to unplug the Hopper to turn it off.
Has your installer done this before? Because it sounds like your installer may be incompetent. Here's why . . .

You seem to have 3 issues with your Travler / Hopper 3 install:
  • Pairing the Remote Control to the Hopper -- this should not be a big deal. The fact that your installer is having problems with something this basic indicates to me that your installer isn't very good . . . unless your remote or Hopper 3 are bad.
  • Hopper freezes on recognizing the satellites -- your Hopper 3 and DPH42 switch should both be off BEFORE the Travler is started up.
  • Download problems -- it sounds like your installer is doing the initial Hopper 3 activation, right? If so, then your install may be FUBAR and you may at least need a different Hopper 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
we were told that we need the following parts to make the Satellite and Hopper work together.
DPH42 Hybrid Switch, Dish Network Dish Pro Hybrid Solo Hub
If you're installing a Hopper 3 AND Joeys in your RV, then this is how you should wire:

If you're just installing a Hopper 3 (and not Joeys) in your RV, then the Hybrid Solo Hub isn't required:

Old 10-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
On the front of the travler control box what sats does it show? And is there a (*) next to each one? If not the travler is not locking onto the sats.
Yes each sat has the * beside It.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TechWriter thanks for your post, I will try to add more information based on what you have provided. I would like to provide the installer with the information that you have provided if you donít mind. He told me that Winegard and Hopper walked him through process of checking the Sat & the Hopper and they couldnít solve the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Has your installer done this before? He installed the last Winegard Traveller on our old RV and it worked great. He told us he had installed a lot of Winegard with the Hopper and didn't have any problem. Because it sounds like your installer may be incompetent. Here's why . . .

You seem to have 3 issues with your Travler / Hopper 3 install:
  • Pairing the Remote Control to the Hopper -- this should not be a big deal. The fact that your installer is having problems with something this basic indicates to me that your installer isn't very good . . . unless your remote or Hopper 3 are bad. Dish told him that there was no problem with the Hopper but didn't mention the remote.
  • Hopper freezes on recognizing the satellites -- your Hopper 3 and DPH42 switch should both be off BEFORE the Travler is started up.
    We found that the only way to turn the Hopper off is to unplug it, the remote freezes when screen freezes on the download of the Sat's.
    How do you turn off the DPH42 switch, when I was on the roof of the RV I didn't see anyway to turn it off?
  • Download problems -- it sounds like your installer is doing the initial Hopper 3 activation, right? I think so he didn't say how he got to the screen that freezes. If so, then your install may be FUBAR and you may at least need a different Hopper 3.

In the post above about the (*) by the sat number then Winegard is working like it supposed too, then I may need a different Hopper3. I will definitely show him the diagram that you provided, even if I donít tell him he needs to shine up his belt buckle to see where he is going😊 the way he has it wired is nowhere near what you diagram shows, he has all the parts up on the roof DPH42 switch and the hub.

Thanks again for all the your provided.

If you're installing a Hopper 3 AND Joeys in your RV, then this is how you should wire:

If you're just installing a Hopper 3 (and not Joeys) in your RV, then the Hybrid Solo Hub isn't required:

Old 10-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #6

cananinecop. All my connections are on the roof also. The DPH switch is on the rood with the 3 cables connected and only a single cable running into the coach. I have to first set up the Travl'r and let it lock on while both the receiver and the power to the DPH is unplugged. I finally use a power strip with an on/off switch so I don't have to unplug. Once the Travl'r locks on all 3 sats, I switch on the receiver and DPH power. Once it gets to the acquiring sat info screen I go to the diagnostics in the settings menu. I then do a Check Installation and wait for the screen to tell me the status of all 3 sats. If I get green checks on everything, I am good to go. Pairing the remote is easy using the remote settings in the menu. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
cananinecop. All my connections are on the roof also. The DPH switch is on the rood with the 3 cables connected and only a single cable running into the coach. I have to first set up the Travl'r and let it lock on while both the receiver and the power to the DPH is unplugged. I finally use a power strip with an on/off switch so I don't have to unplug. Once the Travl'r locks on all 3 sats, I switch on the receiver and DPH power. Once it gets to the acquiring sat info screen I go to the diagnostics in the settings menu. I then do a Check Installation and wait for the screen to tell me the status of all 3 sats. If I get green checks on everything, I am good to go. Pairing the remote is easy using the remote settings in the menu. Chuck
Chuck thanks for your post, do you have to go through this process each time you setup to watch TV?
Old 10-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #8

Yes, each time we set up. But it takes no extra time really. I don't have to do it again as long as we are in one location. But if everything needs to be shut down and stowed to move to the next location, the process is done all over again. I also have to do it when I move the receiver back to the house. No big deal. Chuck
Old 10-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #9

I should add that it may not be necessary to do this each time you set up if using the Winegard. You should try and just turn everything on. But you do need to let the Travl'r lock-on before turning on the DPH and receiver. You might be able to skip the check installation until you move back to the house. You will have to do this the first time. Chuck
Old 10-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
You might be able to skip the check installation until you move back to the house. You will have to do this the first time.
Nope. Do a Test Installation each time you move . . .

Old 10-11-2019, 03:58 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
TechWriter - exactly what points are the three cables on the Trav'ler connected to and what points are they connected to the DPH42? I tried to blow up your picture, but I cannot tell where the cables are going to on the Trav'ler itself.

Right now I am using a Wally, but it has some restrictions that we are not liking.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Nope. Do a Test Installation each time you move . . .

TechWriter is very knowledgeable about these installations so I have followed his advise on installing mine. But I have not done any testing until now on having to do a test installation each time when moving the RV only. So I tried it twice in the last 24 hours. In both cases, the test install was not done and the Hopper worked just fine. More testing needs to be done to be sure this would be the case every time or just a fluke. But since nothing has changed after the first check installation was done, I suspect that is why it is still working. If there is a problem I can go back and do a test installation. At home, if I have a power failure, there has never been a need to do a check installation when the Hopper reboots since nothing has changed since the power went out. I will still have to do this each time I move between home and RV. Chuck
Old 10-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
TechWriter - exactly what points are the three cables on the Trav'ler connected to and what points are they connected to the DPH42? I tried to blow up your picture, but I cannot tell where the cables are going to on the Trav'ler itself.
On the Travler, use A, B, and C . . .

To 1, 2, and 3 on the left side of the DPH42 . . .

Old 10-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is a follow up on my post about the Satellite and Hopper. First, a thank you to all that posted, your posts were very helpful. A special thanks to TechWriter, your diagram on how the install should be was very helpful to the tech at the RV shop doing the repair. Yesterday, after we spent about an hour on the phone with Dish, we were able to receive Sat 129 but not Satís 119 and 110. She talked my wife through all the steps that allowed us to receive Sat 129, she also told us to go back to the tech and have him install the wiring to the correct hookups, then we would receive the other 2 Satís. I had sent the diagram that TechWriter had made to the tech yesterday. We took the RV to the shop this morning and explained to the tech all the information that we received from Dish on what he needed to do. With the information supplied, the tech was able to hookup and receive the missing Satís in about 2 hrs.
We are now receiving all the Satís and are able to watch TV on our main tv. Also, the tv that is hooked up to the Joey. We are happy campers again.

Tags
install, travel