Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile Installation on a Winegard Trav'ler Dish 1000?

Wow! The information on this forum is amazing! I just told my wonderful husband that I would LOVE to upgrade our rooftop dish for my birthday, before we finish upgrading our tv's, to a Winegard Trav'ler Dish Network 1000. He laughed and ask how much the install was. Maybe he's thinking about it? Found the price at Camping World for just under $1,400, but they want $250 for install, and $85 for removal of the old dish.

We currently have a King Dome (professionally installed by the previous owner a year after his purchase of the 2003 Fleetwood Providence) and a manual rooftop dish that the coach most likely came with when purchased. To make a long story short, we're upgrading tv's to HD (purchased receivers, portable dish, etc.) - but I'm nervous about us finding the satellites with the portable one. Is it difficult? If we decided to purchase the Trav'ler, would we be able to install it ourselves? Where would we find DETAILED instructions? We need your experienced opinions! What do you think?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #2

I don't know what your abilities are, but the installation manual is on the Winegard website. The hardest part for me was getting it up to the roof by myself. The rest was pretty easy in my opinion. I love my SK3005 with DirecTV.

ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:11 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Did you have a pre-existing dome or dish that you had to remove?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:05 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Born2RV,

I had Camping World install mine. The install cost was $250, as you stated, but they will also charge you "materials"- ie; DiCor (sealant), hardware, extra cable required, etc. I already had a second cable run along the roof line to service the seperate Directv receiver I had already installed in the bedroom.

Here is a point to note- if you are going to use a satellite receiver with record capability, The Winegard slim line Traveler has four output connections. Whoever installs it should put two lines into the area you might locate the DVD recorder in the future. My Directv recorder receiver requires two independent cable inputs, one to watch a current program, and one to record another.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #5

I installed mine last summer. Took only an hour. The hard part is lifting the unit on to the the RV. Have a few friends help. The pieces move around which makes it hard to lift without scratching the RV. It is fun to watch it find the Sat and tune them in. But it will keep a signal in the rain and heavy dew in the morning. It comes with 25 feet of cable. But you will need to get roof sealant. I used self leveling silicone from the RV dealer. $16 a tube. One tube is plenty.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question

Sam, did you have a pre-existing dome or dish that you removed? What type of tools are required? Holes to drill, etc.?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Born2RV,

I was there in the shop when the tech installed the Winegard traveler. He used just standard tools, nothing special. I had a KVH 1, domed unit mounted on my MH. It took the tech about 3 hours to remove the old unit, install the new unit and move it out of the shop to fire it up.

I took the KVH domed unit home with me. I ran an ad in the hometown local newspaper, and the first guy that came by bought it for $250 cash, no quibbling on price. He has a 5th wheel rig. I still had the install instructions and gave him all the mounting screws, activation switch and the large mounting plate. He loved it!

I was glad to have it done inside a shop, just in case it rained. I used C.W. in Lakewood NJ enroute to Maine- they did a fine job, plus a two year warranty on the unit. I figured I can always find a C.W. for repairs if I needed some.

The only problem I've had so far is being parked in Maine for 5 1/2 months with the unit stowed (I was in the woods-and I had to use a fence mounted antenna to get a clear shot to the South West). On the return trip South the arm deployed okay but the dish was stuck on the arm. I had to climb up on the roof and jimmy it free-- the two rubber bumpers mounted on the arm had stuck to the dish. I put 303 on them and they worked fine after that. I called Winegard to tell them of my experience so they would be aware of this and the lady said they knew about it. They had a faulty rubber chemical mixture on the early units. They sent me two new ones, which I installed recently. The unit is absolutely great. I get about a 95 %signal strength. It stays put in high winds up to 50MPH--I am impressed with that. In May it will be 2 years old.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #8

Tools that I used are nut driver/drill to removed old screws and insert new one. A small chisel to peal remove old silicone sealant. Then a screw driver. I also had a coax crimper. I trimmed the RG6 coax to length.

You will need to figure where the control/coax wires are ran into and through your RV. The Traveler has itís own control wire that will need to be ran to the new control box. I did this by using the old wire to pull the new wire through.

I did not remove my old dish for a few months. I put the new traveler in the middle of my RV. I later added an in-motion dome to replace the old unit. The in-motion unit does not work well in rain or heavy dew. But it is nice to have on a 12 hr trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00600.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	2232   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00604.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	2233  

Old 01-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #9

Born2RV,
I did exactly what you are considering last July. If you watch the sales for the Travell'er CW will offer free installation or a couple of hundred dollars off the actual travell'er. I had an in-motion KVH dome that I had CW remove and install the Dish 1000 Travell''er. The Dish Network HD DVR receivers have a special splitter so only one wire is neccessary to receive two signals. The splitter will unstack the two coax signals from on incoming coax. I gave my HD DVR receiver to the installer at CW and he ran two coax cables thinking I needed two incoming signals. So now I have a spare. My motorhome has a separate Coax installed by the manufacturer for a separate receiver to the rear TV. When I ask the CW installer if he had connected the rear TV coax to the SK-1000 like it was connected originally on the dome he had to go back up on the roof and connect the rear coax, he had just folded it up with a wire tie. So before you go to CW read up on your systems configuration and wiring connection. CW works on so many brands...
Old 01-31-2010, 12:53 PM   #10

Did CW charge extra to remove the old dome, also was there an extra charge to run a 2nd line coax from the roof to the rear bedroom for a 2md receiver.
seems like theres always hidden charges. Nice when CW had the $5 installs from time to time.
mike wy
Old 02-01-2010, 07:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewy View Post
Did CW charge extra to remove the old dome, also was there an extra charge to run a 2nd line coax from the roof to the rear bedroom for a 2md receiver.
seems like theres always hidden charges. Nice when CW had the $5 installs from time to time.
mike wy
Mike,
Camping World had a sale on the Travell'er with free installation when I bought mine. They wanted $85.00 to remove my dome but, when I protested they waive it. I was told that some are charged and others are removed for free. So push back on the removal fee. My motorhome was factory wired for the rear TV and I have a second Coax cable running from the Dish in case I want to install a second satellite receiver at the rear TV. I did tell the installer that the rear TV was connected to the dome and they must connect the rear TV coax to the Travell'er. I also brought my Dish DVR that has two tuners and the technician ran two coax cables from the Travell'er to the front audio compartment. When I went to Camping World I did ask for their best satellite installer to install mine. Don't know if I got their best but he was very knowledgeable in the wiring set up and the use of DVR's. I was very pleased with the installation and it has been working great.