Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #1

Installing a HDTV Convertor Box

I have a Winegard Model VS-0503/5312 Switch. I want to install a HDTV converotr box. Can anyone tell me how to hook it up? Just want to use one convertor box. What goes to what? help!
TNBULLDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2009, 04:50 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The info you are asking about can be found at the top pf this forum. There 2 "sticky" posts...one is about video switches and the other is about the DTV conversion and installing a converter box. While prepared by Winnebago the info provides the basic guides with simple drawings on how to hook it up.

Also you can do a search of this forum and find many other solutions for different units and boxes.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBULLDOG View Post
I have a Winegard Model VS-0503/5312 Switch. I want to install a HDTV converotr box. Can anyone tell me how to hook it up? Just want to use one convertor box. What goes to what? help!
The quick answer to your question is that you would disconnect the coax that plugs into Out to TV1, run a short jumper from that post on the Winegard box to the converter and then plug the cable you removed into the output. This will provide a fix for 1 TV. 2 TV's watching 2 different channels require 2 converters or you can eliminate the Winegard switcher and add a splitter for the converter output to send the same signal to both (all) TV's.
Remember that you are not installing an HDTV converter box and it will not do anything for you related to high definition TV. The digital converter box that I must assume you are looking to install will take the current over-the-air digital signal and convert it to work with your existing analog TV(s) but the end result will not be in HD.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #4

What about the 12 volts from the wineqard swith? I was told I could damage the convertor or damage the batwing amp. Will this be a problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
The quick answer to your question is that you would disconnect the coax that plugs into Out to TV1, run a short jumper from that post on the Winegard box to the converter and then plug the cable you removed into the output. This will provide a fix for 1 TV. 2 TV's watching 2 different channels require 2 converters or you can eliminate the Winegard switcher and add a splitter for the converter output to send the same signal to both (all) TV's.
Remember that you are not installing an HDTV converter box and it will not do anything for you related to high definition TV. The digital converter box that I must assume you are looking to install will take the current over-the-air digital signal and convert it to work with your existing analog TV(s) but the end result will not be in HD.
TNBULLDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #5

You are correct that you cannot connect the converter between the antenna and the INPUT on the switch box. You MUST connect the converter to one of the OUTPUT options where no 12V power exists.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Winegard has it's own forum on the company web site. here is the thread of interest: http://www.winegard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=73

I will give you two hookups.. The Spec sheet I looked at did not list an AUX input (mine has an AUX, may be a different model) if you do not have an AUX input then:

Forget the video switch, go to your VCR, disconnect the ANT-IN from the VCR and hook it to the converter. hook TV-OUT on the converter to ANT-IN on the VCR.. NOTE: This works best if your Converter has Analog pass through.

now, not only can you watch but you can record for later viewing

To watch on the VCR section select ANTENNA
On the TV section selecte VCR, Leave VCR off to view live or.. Well I assume you know how to use your VCR.

If you do have an AUX input then you can go to the complex method...

Get a DIPLEXER, this is a splitter with power pass through on ONE port (And please make sure it's just one, some pass both ports)

Common goes to the rooftop antenna (You will need to disconnect this line from the swich box)

Pass through to the switch box (Port just unhooked from)

Non power pass through to converter ANT-IN
TV out to AUX in on switch box

Select AUX to watch digital tv

NOTE: I don't care what it says on it it is NOT!! AN HD converter

Nothing can convert an older TV to HD.

BUt it will receive digital TV, both HD-ATSC and older standard NTSC, and properly display it on an older set

You may need to configure the output to properly display
Old 07-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
You are correct that you cannot connect the converter between the antenna and the INPUT on the switch box. You MUST connect the converter to one of the OUTPUT options where no 12V power exists.
Dang!
  • This is the way mine is hooked up right now. Have I possible done some damage?
  • If I understand wa9yxm correctly, coax should go from antenna to DTV convertor "IN" then "OUT" to VCR (DVD) "IN" then "OUT" to switch box.
  • I gather that this is so that I do not, as Bill Adams says, go direct from antenna to convertor to switch box.
  • Can someone please verify this for me, or maybe straighten me out, as needed?
Looking for simplest setup only, both TVs showing same thing is just fine.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #8

Can I assume your signal comes from a connector that has a small red light on it indicating the amplifier to the antenna is on? Can I also assume that cable goes into a switch box that says Ant In or something like that? If so just remove that cable and connect it to the Ant In Port on the converter. Then connect a short cable from the converter Output (or TV) port to the Ant In Port on the switch box. If this is your situation, you have done no harm. is your system working? Both TV's will see the same station under this arrangement and the station will be controlled by the converter remote.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post
Can I assume your signal comes from a connector that has a small red light on it indicating the amplifier to the antenna is on? Can I also assume that cable goes into a switch box that says Ant In or something like that? If so just remove that cable and connect it to the Ant In Port on the converter. Then connect a short cable from the converter Output (or TV) port to the Ant In Port on the switch box. If this is your situation, you have done no harm. is your system working? Both TV's will see the same station under this arrangement and the station will be controlled by the converter remote.
Yes, yes, and yes. Exactly how I am set up. Thank you very much. I was concerned that I might have fried something. Is this a great website, or what?
Ken