Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #1

Installing an App to locate Directv Satellites

What is involved to install an App on a Smart Phone to help locate Directv's satellite when setting up a stand-alone dish ? Can these be down-loaded off the internet or are they purchased from a business source?

I recently upgraded from a flip phone to a Samsung Smart phone and am in a very long learning curve but hoping I can do this task. I have a Winegard Carry out dome that I have to use occasionally and trying to locate a spot on the ground out from under trees where it will receive satellites can be very frustrating sometimes.

Had a camper last year with this App show me exactly where to set my Dome but all I had at that time was the flip phone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Your phones App Store I think Google play online store will have the apps and let you download them. Some at a cost.
I use a app on my iPhone called satoolz that you hold the phone up and it shows you where the satellites are in the sky. I see the app is also available in the google play store. It is a paid app and I paid 5 bucks in the apple App Store some time ago. You select your provider Dish or Directv etc and download that specific app. There are a few others and the all are downloaded from the online App Store.
You should have a app on the phone called google play, start there and "search" for satellite apps like you would a Google search

BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
What is involved to install an App on a Smart Phone to help locate Directv's satellite when setting up a stand-alone dish ? Can these be down-loaded off the internet or are they purchased from a business source?

I recently upgraded from a flip phone to a Samsung Smart phone and am in a very long learning curve but hoping I can do this task. I have a Winegard Carry out dome that I have to use occasionally and trying to locate a spot on the ground out from under trees where it will receive satellites can be very frustrating sometimes.

Had a camper last year with this App show me exactly where to set my Dome but all I had at that time was the flip phone.
I use Satfinder lite (free app)...That will show if you are clear of trees and mountains. I assume the Carry Out is automatic. If not, practice, practice.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:09 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Like Dave, I use SatFinder, but I bought the Pro version so I don't have to put up with ads. It works with a sky view as well as a google earth directional. I have found it to be pretty accurate. You do have to have the phone GPS turned on.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

I used to use one of those but quite frankly it's easier using a compass and the data off of your receiver. Get the antenna setup information using the zip code of where you're set up. Take a compass and walk around the area you want to set up the dish and look up at the approx. angle and heading for openings in the trees. Also, carry two lengths of coax with you. I have a 50' piece and a 100' piece. I've had the dish 100' from the rig, at times, to get a clear shot. The satellite app works fine also. Glad you're getting it.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:00 AM   #6

I have an iPhone free app called Satellite Finder Pro.

It looks simple to use but you need to select which satellite you want. How do you know which one to choose?

The DTV ones are 1R 4S 8 10 11 14 4S 5 7S
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
And THAT is why they call portables the "divorce dish"

I didn't have them patience for it with all the other setup stuff you had to do, so I opted for the rooftop one... and 99 times out of 100 we do fine with it...
Old 09-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #8

I called the Direct TV for a technician to come out as we were having problems with our receiver. He had to check the dish to ensure working correctly. He used Satellite AR app. I too have started using that app. Seems to work well for me and my Samsung Note 5. I won't be using the compass anymore.
In Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Look for the "Play store" app on your phone, if its not on your start page go to the app page by either sliding screen up or down on the 8 or on some others their is an App icon on the home page.. Start it. Then search for a sat finder app of your choice. I use "Satellite AR" free. Start Sat AR pick DIRECTV from list, move phone around in the southern sky until the Sats show on the screen, move around so you have clear view of the sats. Set and point the Ant.

LEN

LEN
Old 09-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonMaster View Post
I used to use one of those but quite frankly it's easier using a compass and the data off of your receiver. Get the antenna setup information using the zip code of where you're set up. Take a compass and walk around the area you want to set up the dish and look up at the approx. angle and heading for openings in the trees. Also, carry two lengths of coax with you. I have a 50' piece and a 100' piece. I've had the dish 100' from the rig, at times, to get a clear shot. The satellite app works fine also. Glad you're getting it.
That's the way I used to do it when I was using a dish out on a tripod and it worked pretty good if I could get out from under several trees. Now on this coach I have the Winegard Trav'ler that will search and find the satellies, assuming there aren't too many trees to shot through. Trying to use a compass and try to see where the dish is pointing 13' up on the roof is a little more difficult for me.
When I have to use the Winegard Carry Out dome it's pretty well automatic but being under a dome I can't tell precisely where it's pointed and where to set it on the ground. One campground here in Colorado I have to point between several trees and know which side of the mountain peak in the distance to go on. It would be nice to be able to see the satellites on a phone screen.
I just purchased this Smart phone a week ago and I don't feel a bit smarter, in fact I'm finding out just how dumb I really am.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Look for the "Play store" app on your phone, if its not on your start page go to the app page by either sliding screen up or down on the 8 or on some others their is an App icon on the home page.. Start it. Then search for a sat finder app of your choice. I use "Satellite AR" free. Start Sat AR pick DIRECTV from list, move phone around in the southern sky until the Sats show on the screen, move around so you have clear view of the sats. Set and point the Ant.

LEN

LEN
If I can use the Winegard Trav;ler on the roof of the coach sometimes it's a matter of moving the coach a few inches forward/backward so it can find the satellites. If that's not possible I can always dig out the Carry Out dome, but it's still a matter of finding where to set it on the ground so it can find the satellites between trees and around mountain peaks.

That sure sounds like where I'd want to be. Found the "Play Store" but when I clicked it all I got was "Add your account" "Google, Sign in to get the most out of your device."
Kind of afraid to get on Google not knowing how much data time I'll stumble into and what I'd be charged for since I only have 2 Gigs on my plan.

I can download programs on my laptop but this phone is a whole nuther situation. I was hoping an app for satellite would be on the phone but so far I'm not finding anything.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:58 AM   #12

I know you were struggling with the new Android smartphone decision. It will take a while to get comfortable with it. I can't imagine not having a GOOGLE account with an android phone. I would recommend getting it. Iphone would require the same thing for their apps. If you're worried about data just be sure and use wifi when downloading a bunch of stuff. Watching movies while not on wifi will eat up your data. You'll get it....
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #13

I use a couple of apps from Google Play Store on my Samsung S5. The first is Sat Finder which gives azimuth, elevation, and skew (LNB tilt) based on my GPS location. There is also a compass on this app. I use the app to set up my DirecTV dish when camping. Works great.

The second is Satellite AR. I use it for it's visual indication to avoid trees. It is also a good app for tracking and watching the International Space Station go over.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
I use a couple of apps from Google Play Store on my Samsung S5. The first is Sat Finder which gives azimuth, elevation, and skew (LNB tilt) based on my GPS location. There is also a compass on this app. I use the app to set up my DirecTV dish when camping. Works great.

The second is Satellite AR. I use it for it's visual indication to avoid trees. It is also a good app for tracking and watching the International Space Station go over.

How do you know which satellite to point at?

RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, directv, install, satellite