Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #1

Installing Winegard Sk-3005

Hello,

I'm installing the Sk-3005 Tomorrow and would like to know the following:

1. Can I use either the gray or black coax cables for any connections? I noticed the black is 3Ghz and the gray is 2.25Ghz but both are 75ohm.

2. Does an RV with a crowned fiberglass roof cause any issues with the bottom of the steel plate being flat? (I ordered the huge $100 steel plate for better protection).

3. Can I just carry this thing up an extension ladder with one hand? I'm young and strong but will that damage it?

4. My local RV parts dealer convinced me to buy butyl tape caulking (1" wide x 1/8 thick). What are people using to seal the base/screw holes with? The idea with the tape is a uniform seal and you drill through it for a good seal for the screws.

Thx
Eric
Eman508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman508 View Post
Hello,

I'm installing the Sk-3005 Tomorrow and would like to know the following:

1. Can I use either the gray or black coax cables for any connections? I noticed the black is 3Ghz and the gray is 2.25Ghz but both are 75ohm.

2. Does an RV with a crowned fiberglass roof cause any issues with the bottom of the steel plate being flat? (I ordered the huge $100 steel plate for better protection).

3. Can I just carry this thing up an extension ladder with one hand? I'm young and strong but will that damage it?

4. My local RV parts dealer convinced me to buy butyl tape caulking (1" wide x 1/8 thick). What are people using to seal the base/screw holes with? The idea with the tape is a uniform seal and you drill through it for a good seal for the screws.

Thx
Eric
1-I believe RG6 coax cable is the best cable for Sat signal applications.
2-I installed a Dome on my slightly crowned roof, no trouble. If you bough the mounting plate, probably better.
3-I carried the dome up my ladder by sliding it on, pushing it up, no trouble there either.
4-I used Dicor 501 LSW sel leveling lap sealant which works really well. Seen it at camping world, bought it from my RV dealer.
5- Good Luck, enjoy!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
On my RV the gray cable goes to the direct tv cable box for my midship tv and the other cables (black) go to any additional boxes you install for other tv's. Each tv needs its own box. Go to youtube, there are some good installation videos for the 3005.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The black cable has UV protection in the sheath so it should be used outside. I would restrict the use of non black cable to interior applications.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #5

So I installed the huge steel mounting plate tonight. 15 screws just for the plate and another 9 will be for the sat dish to the plate and into the roof. I'm a bit concerned because I didn't hit anything solid with all 15 screws (I looked on the Winne site for an assembly drawing of the roof but found none). Should I be worried about my investment flying off the roof from the stowed position? I used the 1" wide butyl tape caulk. This is on a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U (fiberglass roof).
Eman508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman508 View Post
So I installed the huge steel mounting plate tonight. 15 screws just for the plate and another 9 will be for the sat dish to the plate and into the roof. I'm a bit concerned because I didn't hit anything solid with all 15 screws (I looked on the Winne site for an assembly drawing of the roof but found none). Should I be worried about my investment flying off the roof from the stowed position? I used the 1" wide butyl tape caulk. This is on a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U (fiberglass roof).
Same here, I put that self leveling caulk under the dome mounting plates (as well as on the screws and on top of those plates). Your tape caulk will probably do a lot of good. Many miles on the road and no trouble.