Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Intel Compute Stick

I just learned of a new to me technology. The intel computer stick. Has anyone used one yet. Basically it appears to be a device about the size of a USB drive. It plugs into an HDMI port and can be used to turn a TV or anything actually into a computer. You plug it into the HDMI port of your TV get a bluetooth keyboard and instant computer. It has 2 gigs of ram 32 gig onboard HD storage. A port for a micro SD card, Wifi and bluetooth. IT would appear to be a cheap easy way to have a computer in your RV that takes up almost no storage space. For facebook, or just checking email etc I would think it would work great although I have not used one yet.
http://www.cnet.com/products/intel-compute-stick/#!
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
First I have heard of it but looked it up right away, sounds promising.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. Personally, I have an Android stick in the bedroom and an Android box in the living room. Both of them cost less than the compute stick. Right now, the one that I would get is the Google Nexus Player.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:52 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Also for you Apple fans (I personally loathe Apple), rumor is that they will unveil their new TV box at their event on September 9th.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylexot View Post
I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. Personally, I have an Android stick in the bedroom and an Android box in the living room. Both of them cost less than the compute stick. Right now, the one that I would get is the Google Nexus Player.
But arent those just game sticks? The compute stick is a computer.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
But arent those just game sticks? The compute stick is a computer.
Like I said, it depends on what you want to use it for. Web browsing? Yeah they can do that. Facebook? Yeah, they can do that. Email? Yeah, they can do that too. There are even Microsoft office apps.

So no, they aren't just game sticks. They're just like your Android phone or tablet.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:57 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylexot View Post
Like I said, it depends on what you want to use it for. Web browsing? Yeah they can do that. Facebook? Yeah, they can do that. Email? Yeah, they can do that too. There are even Microsoft office apps.

So no, they aren't just game sticks. They're just like your Android phone or tablet.
Ok THanks, just looking for the explanation
Old 08-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The sticks have been around for a few months. Amazon sells them. Not a direct replacement for a true PC. With limited on stick memory potential productivity is very dependent on wireless network availability and connection speed. Also you'll need a wireless keyboard and mouse to use it effectively along with a USB disk drive as a local data storage source.

Read a few reviews which weren't so-so. A tablet might be a better option but it really depends on what you want to do. Check emails a bit of social media and such then the stick might be an option. Attempt to do some moderate number crunching while on the road maybe not so good.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, this IS a computer, but not the same as a laptop.
No CD/DVD drive, so you cant buy turbo tax, or other programs and install them.

If you want MW- Word, or Excel, you need to use the MS-Office cloud service to get those.

For us, this thing is similar to a Amazon fire stick....BUT you can attach a keyboard (nice option).

Dan
Old 08-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Yes, this IS a computer, but not the same as a laptop.
No CD/DVD drive, so you cant buy turbo tax, or other programs and install them.

If you want MW- Word, or Excel, you need to use the MS-Office cloud service to get those.
Not really. Many laptops these days don't come with CD/DVD drives because most software is available as a download. You can even buy MS Office as a download. And I'd be willing to bet that you can put the full versions of Office apps on the compute stick since I can run them on my Win10 tablet which has similar specs.

BTW, I should point out that the Google Nexus Player is a bit more limited than the Android stick/box that I have since you can't install all the apps in the store without some trickery. The Player is really sold as a media/gaming device, but it can do more if yo know what you're doing.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It looks like the android stick is the same idea although a bit cheaper. To me either one seems like a good idea. Not a Pc or a laptop or tablet but small and compact. I am thinking might be good idea for the grandkids to use when they come over and keep them from using my expensive laptop and tablet.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They are serious (if low end) computers.. The only thing they really lack is decent storage and that can be added easily enough. Computers have been getting smaller and smaller for a long time.. and less expensive.

A few days ago i dropped my #2 computer.. Checked, Wall*mart had 'em for 179.. Now, I use this computer in 2 rooms so I can really use a 2nd power brick, those sell for aroudn 50.. and a new battery about 125 more or less...... Yup, that means I paid 10 bucks for the new computer.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
They are serious (if low end) computers.. The only thing they really lack is decent storage and that can be added easily enough. Computers have been getting smaller and smaller for a long time.. and less expensive.

A few days ago i dropped my #2 computer.. Checked, Wall*mart had 'em for 179.. Now, I use this computer in 2 rooms so I can really use a 2nd power brick, those sell for aroudn 50.. and a new battery about 125 more or less...... Yup, that means I paid 10 bucks for the new computer.
Not really...It just means that the markup on the power brick and battery is insanely high.

But if you want to talk cheap computers, look into Raspberry Pi for $25:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/

And then there is CHIP which is coming out soon which will be a small computer for $9:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rst-9-computer
Old 09-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now there's a new kid on the block:
ASUS unveils the Intel-powered, Windows 10 VivoStick

Not a whole lot cheaper than the Compute Stick at $130, but it also has a little better specs.