Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #1

Internet after Millenicom

So I've been following the Millenicom threads, as I was almost ready to open an account there, and now I'm scratching my head on the best route, and the October deals on data have me wanting to decide by the end of the month. Our new coach will be ready in November.

So I have some questions.

I am looking into either adding more data to my existing AT&T account, or starting a mifi only account with Verizon using the Jetpack and keeping the AT&T for my phone, OR shutting down my AT&T account in three months when the current contract is up, but opening a Verizon account now, and adding lines after AT&T is done. Verizon has better overall coverage, and we will be out west a lot, so I am leaning in that direction.

I'm just not sure yet on how much data to order. If we want to watch movies via the internet while traveling, how realistic is that on the cell networks? I have a 10G plan with AT&T right now, but don't use it for videos or movies, only at the S&B do we do that. I have tried, and I can watch, YouTube videos fine on the phone, so I assume a movie will also stream, but I am not sure.

My questions are:

1. How realistic are any of these plans on streaming Netflix or HBO GO onto a tablet or laptop, or one of the smart TV's now put in the coaches? Does the difference in LTE, 4G or 3G service make any difference? What might they be?

2. How much data will be used watching movies? (approx) HD Movies saved to my computer or tablet are around 3 Gigs, so I assume that's about what a streamed movie is. Perhaps SD movies are smaller.

3. Is it more data to use a bigger screen, such as the smart TV's in the new coaches?

Thanks,

Damon and Linda

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Questions abound with the demise of Millenicom and with AT&T and Verizon both offering double data thru the end of this month. Suggest you look at Wheelingit.us and Technomadia.com. Both are posting good reviews and suggestions. I am in the same boat and looking to see which way to jump.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #3

Jet pack is fine for light internet surfing, checking email or buying off of Amazon. Dont even think about streaming movies. First off generally your service will be too slow, secondly it can eat up vast amounts of band width.
Your best option IMHO is a smart phone that has mobile hot spot so you can surf the net or talk/text via one phone number. Then go get yourself satelite TV. Either Dish pay as you go or Dish/Direct package that meets your wants
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #4

With the jetpack I can stream tv shows and game fine on the laptop and can stream pretty good but not as good on my droid.

Movies and tv shows, it equates I think to 2 hours streaming = 1 GB (conservatively).

I don't think a smaller device makes the data less, not sure though, I would also like to know this for sure.

For tv I just watch ota and stream stuff I miss. I am leaning now towards some form of the verizon more everything plan.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindamon View Post
I am looking into either adding more data to my existing AT&T account, or starting a mifi only account with Verizon using the Jetpack and keeping the AT&T for my phone, OR shutting down my AT&T account in three months when the current contract is up, but opening a Verizon account now, and adding lines after AT&T is done. Verizon has better overall coverage, and we will be out west a lot, so I am leaning in that direction.
You should be able to get data cheaper on AT&T because your phone is through AT&T. Data-only (a hotspot & no phones) pricing seems to be higher, at least that's what Verizon does.

I vote for opening up a Verizon phone account and then adding a data device, like a USB UML 290 (LTE) or 295 (LTE & XLTE) and a WiFi router like a Cradlepoint MBR95. However, you can usually stream via a smartphone.

Full timers, like myself, usually opt for Verizon because it's still #1 in coverage.

Quote:
I'm just not sure yet on how much data to order. If we want to watch movies via the internet while traveling, how realistic is that on the cell networks? I have a 10G plan with AT&T right now, but don't use it for videos or movies, only at the S&B do we do that. I have tried, and I can watch, YouTube videos fine on the phone, so I assume a movie will also stream, but I am not sure.
10GB will probably not be enough.

Last year I started with 20GB, then 38GB, and now 40GB. This month I've used 68% of this in 10 days -- a 15GB YouTube stream + 5GB software download.

It's easy to burn up data.

Quote:
1. How realistic are any of these plans on streaming Netflix or HBO GO onto a tablet or laptop, or one of the smart TV's now put in the coaches? Does the difference in LTE, 4G or 3G service make any difference? What might they be?
For 10GB, it's not realistic. LTE, 3G, etc are just data rates (or how fast you can stream). For Verizon, it's 1X (lowest speed), 3G, 4G LTE, XLTE (fastest).

If you're in the boondocks, you may only get 3G or 1X.

Quote:
2. How much data will be used watching movies? (approx) HD Movies saved to my computer or tablet are around 3 Gigs, so I assume that's about what a streamed movie is. Perhaps SD movies are smaller.
Netflix (which I use) adjusts its data rate depending on your Internet connection. For example, with a 3G connection, you'll probably only get SD TV. However, with a 4G connection, you should get HD -- and you'll also stream more data.

Quote:
3. Is it more data to use a bigger screen, such as the smart TV's in the new coaches?
No, physical screen size doesn't affect data use. For example, a 32" TV will use the same amount of streaming data as a 40".

However, the new 4K TVs will use about twice as much streaming data as a 1080p HD TV.

On the other hand, a 720p HD movie will stream less data than a 1080p HD movie. It's the resolution, not the physical size that makes the diff.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #6

Very helpful, thanks!
Old 10-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #7

I went to Vz and ATt today and was quoted the same prices for data plans in the 15-30 gb range.

Some vz plans are cheaper with phone, I think those 30 gb and above.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Jet pack is fine for light internet surfing, checking email or buying off of Amazon. Dont even think about streaming movies. First off generally your service will be too slow, secondly it can eat up vast amounts of band width.
Your best option IMHO is a smart phone that has mobile hot spot so you can surf the net or talk/text via one phone number. Then go get yourself satelite TV. Either Dish pay as you go or Dish/Direct package that meets your wants
When I had my Millenicom account I was getting 4G LTE service here in rural WV. I had a Netflix account at the time and streamed movies through my Samsung Blu Ray Player to my LED TV. It worked. Now here are the buts...if you tried to do HD movies it would choke sometimes and sometimes it wouldn't. They played fine when I was getting 20Mbps download speeds but it was never consistent. Also I think HD movies drank about 1GB of the 20GB per hour of viewing. That is why they played fine sometimes and sometimes they didn't. I went to the Netflix MyAccount site and adjusted my viewing to SD. This would use approx. 1/3GB of data per hour. You had three levels to choose. Anyway at the SD setting the movies played fine. I also updated the maps on my Garmin RV760, generally early in the morning, and the whole process took about an hour from start to finish including downloading and installation to Garmin. The updates were in excess of 1GB of data.

If you get consistent 4G LTE service at 20Mbps it was blazing fast and you could do much more that what you stated. YMMV
Old 10-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #9

1) How good or bad streaming will work, depends on your connection speed, which depends on your location & your providers coverage in that area.
on 1X (or very weak 3G) forget it
on a good 3G it works but usually with intermittent halts for the stream buffering to catch up.
on 4G/LTE no problems streaming

2) a typical movie uses 1 - 3 gig of data, depending on length, file format type & quality. HD uses much more than SD, and on a computer or phone, HD is hardly worth the extra data over SD
3) No

My questions are:

Old 10-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #10

I use the Truconnect.com product. I pay initially 25.00 and its a pay as you go setup. I get 4g service and have not been anywhere where I gave not had service
Old 10-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkei View Post
I use the Truconnect.com product. I pay initially 25.00 and its a pay as you go setup. I get 4g service and have not been anywhere where I gave not had service
TruConnect uses the Sprint network, however. Anyone traveling or staying in rural areas, especially out west, knows that Sprint has terrible coverage. I know first hand as I still have a grandfathered Sprint USB data stick that I keep for backup and most places away from the population centers, you can really tell the difference between Sprint and Verizon. Most rural areas will have no Sprint coverage where Verizon has strong coverage. Click here to see the spotty coverage.

And I believe the hotspot that TrueConnect currently sells is limited to 3G.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkei View Post
Thanks I had not heard of them. Their coverage map is where I am nearly 100% of the time. Also some months I don't use 10 gb and other months I wish I had more than 20 gb.

Definitely going to check this out!

Also thanks again for the above for the resolution explanation, I've been wondering that since I started, sometimes (not always) we can change the resolution when streaming, good to know!
Old 10-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
TruConnect uses the Sprint network, however. Anyone traveling or staying in rural areas, especially out west, knows that Sprint has terrible coverage. I know first hand as I still have a grandfathered Sprint USB data stick that I keep for backup and most places away from the population centers, you can really tell the difference between Sprint and Verizon. Most rural areas will have no Sprint coverage where Verizon has strong coverage. Click here to see the spotty coverage.

And I believe the hotspot that TrueConnect currently sells is limited to 3G.
Okay reading their site their graphics show it is indeed 3G and they state the service is for basic web stuff and use wifi for streaming etc. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrv View Post
Okay reading their site their graphics show it is indeed 3G and they state the service is for basic web stuff and use wifi for streaming etc. Thanks!
kyrv, as I think has been mentioned before in another thread, if you are always in a Sprint coverage area, there is a terrific deal that many non-RV Millenicom (former) customers seem to be choosing who are stationary and have good Sprint coverage, and that is the Wireless 'N Wifi deal for 60GB for $89.99/month. It's 4G LTE on Sprint for 60 GB per month with a cap on 3G at 30GB. Click here for details.

It's a bundle with a USB modem and a router with an initial outlay of $248.93. But it's no contract and no fees or taxes added to the monthly charge. A friend of ours who has had this package for several months now (they are not RVers but snowbirds who have Sprint coverage at both locations) are very pleased with not only the performance but the customer service through Wireless 'N Wifi.

Here's the Sprint LTE coverage map if you want to check street-level coverage

^click the "Data" tab to see LTE coverage (I believe (?) Sprint has 3 or 4 bands on LTE with some better than others ...somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd definitely consider this but being a full-timer and on the move frequently, Sprint just does not have the coverage necessary when comparing it to Verizon.