Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #1

Question Internet and phones in Canada / Alaska

Trying to find out what everyone is doing when traveling through Canada and Alaska for phones and internet connections.
I'm using Verizon wireless and Dish net for TV. Last year in Canada I couldn't use my dish Net. Verizon charged me $10 extra in Canada just for Phone. using Text and Data was way to expensive.
Understand I can use my phone for hotspot to use internet on my computer but don't know how expensive that is.
The Wi-Fi in the camp grounds stinks. Camp Grounds advertise it but don't tell you it won't reach where the camp sites are or there are 100's using it and it is so slow.
In Alaska I understand I may have to use AT&T.

So what are you all doing for phone and internet and with who?
Can you get service just for 3 months at a time?
bruce Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #2

When working in canada I bought blu brand phones and pay as you go cards from PC mobile. Phone plans are worse in canada than the states, and it may be better to get an international plan from a us carrier depending on your usage.
W1ndChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
There's a lot of pay as you go options in Canada...somewhat the same system as the US.....Theres another thread Wireless In Canada that's only a few days old with some good info ..... check that out.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce Dixon View Post
I'm using Verizon wireless ... Verizon charged me $10 extra in Canada just for Phone. ... Understand I can use my phone for hotspot to use internet on my computer but don't know how expensive that is.
Verizon charges $2.05 per MB (yes, MB...not GB) for data. That was what I was quoted a few years ago...it may be more now. Call Verizon and ask.

If it were me, I'd add Canada to my voice plan and use Wi-Fi for Internet.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:29 AM   #5

We have Verizon, spend our summers in Canada and did Alaska two years ago. Call Verizon and get their North American plan. That eliminates roaming phone charges in Canada. Without it roaming charges will cost you an arm and both legs. There is a charge to add it but it is worth it and you can turn it off and on any time. Data is another matter and is not included in the North American plan. You can get a prepaid Canadian phone and/or a MiFi like device once you get to Canada. We had a Canadian MiFi for those times that the campground wifi wasn't good enough. However, you need to understand that outside of major cities, cell reception is iffy anyway north of the border.
Don99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:45 AM   #6

We were in British Columbia and Yukon last year traveling to and from Alaska. I talked to various Verizon people getting very different answers, which was in part because they changed the plans around the time we went (May/July). I added the 100MB of data for $25/month, but generally could not get a connection. I was able to download some eMail in Prince George, but not send and that was the only time I used it. Verizon has no contracts in the Yukon Territories, so doesn't work there. It worked fine in most of the populated areas in Alaska. Wifi was fairly easily available in the populated areas too.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #7

I guess it depends on where you are travelling in Canada.If you are staying in major cities on on the outskirts.
Pamela36367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #8

going up the Alcan Hwy thru Interior of BC Kamloops Prince George and the Yukon thru Dawson City to Kodiak island. not many big cities
bruce Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:41 PM   #9

We did fine without the phone as we generally could access WiFi every couple of days. Different campground hosts we queried suggested if we wanted to use a telephone in Canada, just buy one locally with the prepaid minutes. We kept that in mind as an option, but never tried it.

We were fortunate to not have any road assist type emergencies while we were without phone service.

Have a great trip!
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We use Rogers when in Canada this works for the cell phone and MIFI the other big players in Canada are Bell and Telus, they all will try to get you on a plan but they all offer pay as you go deals with no contract, the downside is you may have to purchase your MIFI device or phone. Canadian cell prices are higher but not as bad as they once were

Tags
ada