Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #1

Internet and TV questions from a newbie

My better half and I are just getting into RVing again after more than a decade and our first few trips were mostly just to Fort Wilderness over the last year or so. As many are probably familiar, FW offers all the amenities you might want including good Wifi and decent cable service. On our most recent outing we had poor to no internet access and weak cell signal to boot.

We tethered our laptops/ipads to our phones but still only got mediocre performance at best. I've followed the Mobley thread but with only cursory interest as until we're on the road more, I can't see taking on the expense with so little justification. So what do others that don't full time do for internet access in these situations?
pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 09:25 PM   #2

Winegard 2.0. There are recent threads here with pro and con. It’s a WiFi booster and can switch to monthly cell data plans. It’s a self contained unit that mounts on the roof. The only wires needed are for power and installing a switch.
Ssowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeinc View Post
I've followed the Mobley thread but with only cursory interest as until we're on the road more, I can't see taking on the expense with so little justification.
If you're talking about getting an AT&T Mobley, that ship has sailed. The Mobley is no longer available.

I was lucky enough to get a Mobley when AT&T offered them again at the start of this year. For the price, they're the best thing since sliced bread. I used 85 GB data last month. Others report data usage between 100-150 GB.

I found out about the new Mobley offer through www.rvmobileinternet.com. Check it out.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:32 AM   #4

I'm not interested in a Mobley or anything else that requires a monthly plan, we only go every few weeks and then just for a few days at this time.

Anybody have experience with this....
https://www.amazon.com/Securifi-Almo...language=en_US
Old 03-25-2019, 05:40 AM   #5

Quote:
My better half and I are just getting into RVing again after more than a decade and our first few trips were mostly just to Fort Wilderness over the last year or so. As many are probably familiar, FW offers all the amenities you might want including good Wifi and decent cable service. On our most recent outing we had poor to no internet access and weak cell signal to boot.

We tethered our laptops/ipads to our phones but still only got mediocre performance at best. I've followed the Mobley thread but with only cursory interest as until we're on the road more, I can't see taking on the expense with so little justification. So what do others that don't full time do for internet access in these situations?
We don't full time but we gots to have our Internet so the $20 Mobley works for us. $20 a month? We spend more than that at Denny's for 1 meal. Big Picture - it's a minuscule drop in the bucket.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:07 AM   #6

Internet and TV questions from a newbie

We have a $20/month Verizon hot spot which works great. Sometimes the personal hot spot on my phone works better. I like having a back up.
tundranurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #7

While I appreciate the sentiment regarding $20/month, we just refrain from incurring monthly costs for services of little benefit. I just exchanged my Brighthouse DVR service for Tivo for primarily cost and convenience.

Regard range extenders, most of what I've seen so far are for a single device utilizing a USB port which considering my wife uses her iPad exclusively won't work for us, hence my query on the Securifi Almond device.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #8

Quote:
While I appreciate the sentiment regarding $20/month, we just refrain from incurring monthly costs for services of little benefit. I just exchanged my Brighthouse DVR service for Tivo for primarily cost and convenience.

Regard range extenders, most of what I've seen so far are for a single device utilizing a USB port which considering my wife uses her iPad exclusively won't work for us, hence my query on the Securifi Almond device.
We use the mobley as our sole Internet connection at home and on the road. At home, we see 18mb down and 16mb up during the day and 20 mb down and 22 mb up at night. We are 1.8 miles from the closest ATT 4GLTE tower at home and need no external antenna. In the four years of using a mobley on the road, we have never been without a connection, admitted sometimes a little slow.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Park WiFi most everywhere is basically useless for all but email. Judging by your restrictions I’d get the Verizon hotspot prepaid ( in other words pay as you go . don’t pay service stops) it’s a little digging on the website but it’s there ...unlimited , network managed service for 70 bucks a month 65 if you have credit card auto pay but that’s not you so ...
Old 03-25-2019, 09:47 AM   #10

Personally if you already have smart phones that can be a hot spot, I would stick with that. Why pay more for another gadget? As for your TV? Switch to Dish or Directv at home and simply buy an extra antenna for the RV. Then just take your receiver with you. Dish does offer a month to month package if you decide thats all you want.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:02 PM   #11

Quote:
I'm not interested in a Mobley or anything else that requires a monthly plan, we only go every few weeks and then just for a few days at this time.

Anybody have experience with this....
https://www.amazon.com/Securifi-Almo...language=en_US

I don’t think this is what you want. Looks to be just a range extender. I can’t remember the last park we stayed at that had bad signal. The problem is with the download speeds and the number of other Rv’s pulling bandwidth at the same time slowing everything down. As others have stated if you just want to check email then you don’t need anything at a Rv park. If you want to surf the net or download video you will need a cell plan with enough GB that you don’t use it all up in the first 1/2 hr. Verizon has a pay as you go unlimited plan for $70/mo. If you decide not to go camping next month it cancels itself. In two months you go camping again you can reactivate online. As I said before the Winegard 2.0 is pretty simple install and can have something like 10 devices at the same time running off of it.
Ssowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:57 PM   #12

X2 for the Winegard ConnecT 2.0 I had an Version Jetpack and just had Verizon transfer it’s number to the Winegard and give me the correct size SIM card. The Winegard reception is great it was able to connect to 4G service in a campground where I could not get service before. It will use the shared data that I have for my two other IPhones for Internet use.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, newbie