Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2004, 11:27 AM   #1

Hi! I am new to this forum and have been scaning the topics related to cellphone use on the internet and this forum. I am also very much interested in the WIFI as well. My question right now is with verizon and America's choice. I have been using this method since last November when we went fulltime. I have a Wilson Antenna that we mount on the top of our ladder when we are stopped. This give us a stronger signal. I have been logging in through AOL as an ISP, as I was told that if I used the software that came with the cellphone kit that I would incur large extra charges. After reading the last couple of days I find there are those who only get online through their Verizon software. Is his a reality and have I been paying for AOL this past year unnecessarily? Thank you for any info you can give me.
Crab7849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2004, 11:27 AM   #2

Hi! I am new to this forum and have been scaning the topics related to cellphone use on the internet and this forum. I am also very much interested in the WIFI as well. My question right now is with verizon and America's choice. I have been using this method since last November when we went fulltime. I have a Wilson Antenna that we mount on the top of our ladder when we are stopped. This give us a stronger signal. I have been logging in through AOL as an ISP, as I was told that if I used the software that came with the cellphone kit that I would incur large extra charges. After reading the last couple of days I find there are those who only get online through their Verizon software. Is his a reality and have I been paying for AOL this past year unnecessarily? Thank you for any info you can give me.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:44 AM   #3

I connect using the verizon software. I have America's Choice and there's no additional charge. Internet minutes count the same as phone minutes.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:44 PM   #4

Hi Crab7849, and welcome to the forums. I can't answer your questions, but I'm sure there are lots that can. Hope to hear about your camping trips/fulltiming it

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 06:10 PM   #5

My daughter, Stacey, logs online using her laptop, cellphone (Verizon America's Choice) and the Verizon Mobile office. She logs on using the quick to net and checks her free Juno e-mail online via Juno Webmail. She downloads her free Juno e-mail account to her computer by clicking the "get mail" button on Juno. She goes online night and weekends only as this is all free time and her cell phone plan is part of my husbands cell phone plan. She logs on using a "local" Chattanooga number because her cell phone has a Chattanooga number. She does not need or use my Juno account when logging online via cell phone. I think (but don't hold me to it until I double check with Stacey when I see her) that the Verizon quick to net gives you a free e-mail but she just uses her old Juno account that she has had for the last 4 years.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:54 PM   #6

Thanks for replys back to me. Trying to get all the different senerios to work is sometimes mind boggling. I did setup the cell phone with the mobile office and was able to get online without the help of AOL. It i good to be able to get info from those who have been there. Thanks again
Donna
Old 10-30-2004, 05:15 AM   #7

Hi Crab7849
Just additional info. We have had Verizon Mobile office working for almost 2 years now and the Quicklink side will get you online and you can surf the net but to send and receive E-mail you need an ISP (Internet Service Provider) or use Juno as has been suggested.
14.4Kb is slow but I rember when 9600 baud was fast.
Lee & Linda
Old 10-30-2004, 09:47 AM   #8

I have been using Verizon Mobile Office to connect to the internet for years now with America's Choice.

You can choose to use "Quick to Net" at 14.4 or you can get updated software from Verizon (Fourelle's VenturiTM) compression software to replace the compression software that came with Mobile Office and connect with "Express Network" which connects at speeds bursting up to 144 Kbps at no additional charge if you connect after 9 pm or weekends which is free or during peak times but using your plans minutes.

You do not need AOL or any other ISP. You can get access to any pop3 email account you have or open an internet email account which can log onto from any connection you want. Like a public library if you do not have a good cellular signal where you are at. We use yahoo mail and I have several accounts with them which are free.

Paul & Sherry, Megan, Thomas, Ryan
Paul_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:52 PM   #9

I am very interested in this subject, but I have no idea of what you all are talking about?
How do you use your cell phone to hook up to the internet via your lap top? Is there a special connection hard wired from your phone to your LT? If so who supplies it? I heard "software" mentioned. Where do you get this program, and I suppose you load it into your LT? Currently my IP is Comcast DSL. If this makes a differenced. Lots of questions. Sorry for butting into this post with all of this.
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 06:09 PM   #10

No18yes,

Go to Best Buy, CompUSA, or Circuit City, they all sell cables/software, do an internet search on sprintusers, or verison +laptop, both will give you infotmation.

Bruce
Old 01-09-2005, 11:37 AM   #11

I am planning an rv trip and will need to access both email and internet. I see that FlyingJ will provide connectivity...cost is about $20/mo. I would expect that the FlyingJ service would be broadband so that I would not have any serious upload or download limitations.

Has anyone used the FlyingJ internet service? Please pass on your experiences....

Thanks, Hemi

PS: the other posts on this thread are useful...especially using the cellphone with the laptop...that is another option for email but may not help me for the Internet owing to file size upload and download.
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:42 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Verizon is now offering broadband speed on cell phones in 30 major markets. They are doing streaming video on it, so it must perform pretty well!

The Flying J (and other similar wi-fi hot spots) should work well, though, as long as you are near them often enough. More and more campgrounds also offer wi-fi hook-ups to broadband or DSL, so definitely purchase a wi-fi card for your system. Whether or not you want any one provider's monthly subscription is another matter, though, and depends on how often you will be able to use it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:25 PM   #13

Thanks Gary....very helpful.

I will do some research but let me ask...does the wi-fi card turn one's laptop into a wireless system...? Is it just that simple...with the wi-fi card and you are near the wireless transmitter your pc-lapton picks up the connection? Is this what some refer to as the "hot zone". If one is in it, then do I really need to subscribe to the flyingj service? Or should I have both. Again, I will do some research but any experience you have would be grateful.

We are just now considering to get a new cell phone and carrier....so thanks for the tip on verizon.

I need as much redundancy as possible because I am teaching online courses for our local community college and thus while on our trips I need to be in contact with the students by email daily as well as do work on the web related to the course. I know that some camp areas have broadband but again I don't want to have to depend solely on campground connections being available. Thanks, Hemi (also in Florida)
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:05 AM   #14

This seems like a pretty old post but for the record - I use Sprint's vision service for a very low monthly rate for unlimited internet/data connectivity. This is on top of what I pay sprint for voice service. With my treo 600 phone, I use the sync cable that came with the phone to connect to my laptop and I use "June Fabric's" PDAnet software (about $39) to do dialup networking directly into SPRINT's data network. With Sprint's Vision service, you get an email address accessible with POP3 clients, the browsing performance is very good.

2006 Jayco Jay Feather EXP 19H
Bill Thorsberg is offline   Reply With Quote