Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #1

Internet in Motion

Hi Everyone,

I came across on U-Tube a Demenstration called Internet in Motion posited by RV101. To be able to access the internet all the time while driving.

This might have already come up on this Forum i might have not looked far enough into the Forum. Has anybody installed this system in their Moble Homes or Fifth wheels yet?

Is there other systems maybe not as well known and can also gain access to the Internet. Would be good to keep up on the weather. I realize a lot of people already do that with a Cell phone app.

Just wondering thanks for your time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #2

Get a Verizon MIFI, it works while driving down the highway.
lllkrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Illkrob is right. Get a Mobile Hot Spot from any of the cellular companies or a cellular modem from Verizon, AT&T or Sprint and cellular router from Cradle Point or WiFi Ranger.

These will work virtually any place a cell phone works. You can also buy prepaid cellular modems at Walmart, Best Buy and other places.

You can also get service from Millenicom with out a contract and more data for the same price or even unlimited for not much more.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have not heard "Internet in motion" for some years now.. In the old days there were some rules about mulitple radio antennas on the same device having to be more than so far from each other. And they did not make "Mi-Fy" devices we have today (They would have been Illegal under those rules) so some folks figured out a way to make a small "Basic Stamp" type computer run a Wireless internet dongle (Air card) and hooked one to a common home type wi-fi router.. Kind of the original (And defently the origin) of Mi-Fy cards you can buy today.

So that's all Internet in motion is.. What they call Mi-Fi today. Cellular air card and router.. Internet in motion sold them for like a thousand dollars and they came with a carry case (Since it was two units, two power bricks or power cords and some Cat-5, some antenna cable and a remote antenna)

Verizion, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile. and ______ (Fill in cellular provider of yoru choice)___ now sell much smaller, single power cord, devices that do exactly the same thing.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Internet in Motion is still available. No rules about how many antennas you can have on radio, but they do have to meet FCC standards.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
still an interesting topic...
My android does not pull in a ueable data signal anywhere, not by any means.
Im thinking about getting a ""trucker amp", made by Wilson, to try to extend my range.

You can text message with almost nothing.
you can talk with almost nothing times 2.
A useable data connection needs a lot more than that.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
still an interesting topic...
My android does not pull in a ueable data signal anywhere, not by any means.
Im thinking about getting a ""trucker amp", made by Wilson, to try to extend my range.

You can text message with almost nothing.
you can talk with almost nothing times 2.
A useable data connection needs a lot more than that.
Is the problem your phone or your provider? I'm in a national forest many miles from any town of size and have 4 bars on both my Verizon MiFi and cell phone. I am using my ipad to send this via MiFi.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I'm tethered to my iPhone, we've had internet service through tethering for some time now. It works well enough. No streaming, of course, but for web surfing and e-mails, it's fine. We just have to put the phone in the window, the signal doesn't go through the sheet metal sides of our fiver.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We use my VZW iPad with 4g for in motion internet
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #10

Thank you everyone for the responses. I am planning to use a Verizon cell phone so i will look into adding MiFi and router for internet connection when i get back to the Main Land USA.
Aloha, from Hawaii
Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #11

We use the T-Mobile 4G Hatspot, works like all other cellular hotspots but has been very reliable for us. There nothing like driving through the Southern Utah desert while your wife shops on Victoria Secrets website
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Internet in Motion is still available. No rules about how many antennas you can have on radio, but they do have to meet FCC standards.

I may have been a bit imprecise.. The rule was not how many antennas but rather different transmitting antennas (Example. Many LINKSYS routers have two antennas, but they are the "Same" transmitter, so does your laptop. (2 antennas)

The rule had to do with different transmitters within a specificied distance of each other.

Internet in motion... You put the two antennas sufficiently apart the rule was not violated. (Thus there was no violation)

With Mi-Fy, I belive they applied for and received an exemption. Class wide exemption. However that is "Belief" not necessarly fact.

And as I said, Internet in motion is (Save for a much better router) basically a Mi-Fy card. (Mi-Fy is usually limited to five DHCP clients, where as the router used by IIM is closer to 50 as it comes out of the box, for most this makes no difference)