Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 07:44 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
We use the ATT hot spot-(UNITE)with great success. We have had it almost 2 years (when we got it the iPhone hot spot wasn't available to us.

Don't think about using it in Canada-ATT contracts with an outfit in Canada that is brutally expensive and horribly ineffective.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I can use my iPhone as a hotspot but usually actuate my Verizon mi-fi for trips. It is convient and in 4 g areas it is good enough to download movies. I can use my ipad or several computers with it. So normally I don't use campsite wi-fi's
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #17

I am looking for a good solution.

Full timing for 5 years. Web developer / entrepreneur

Verizon ran me $1,200/month the beginning of this year. Awesome service... just losing my right arm.

I split my wife and daughter off my Verizon plan and put them into AT&T. I got 60GB a month, but my family is suffering. The service stinks. What good is all that data you can't reach?!

I don't need TV, just internet. Considering Dish.
bpendley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
We use Verizon because of the best coverage (my DH is in real estate and needs his lifeline!). We had a MiFi but found it was difficult to control the usage/costs so dropped that. Now I use my iPhone personal hotspot for quick access. I'm leary of public web access and avoid them as much as possible.
Artcie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Two comments: 1) if you use ad block plus,or similar ad blockers it will stop a lot of the ads/streaming banners etc that clutter up your screen and generally take more data than the page you are trying to view. Not a total solution, but it helps.

2) T-mobile states that they roam on "all the major networks", which unfortunately does not mean ATnT. Apparently ATnT is NOT a "MAJOR" network according to T-Mobile. We discovered this when we had T-mobile and could not use it in the closest town to where we lived. Phone would say "no network service", but would also state "emergency calls only", so my inquiring mind figured out that the phone could roam on SOME network since it could dial 911 and get through, but that network wasn't one they had a roaming agreement with. When I asked people around me who were chatting away on their phones, they all said they were on ATnT! A call to T-mobile, (after moving up 3 tiers on the phone tree as no one lower would answer my direct question) the supervisor admitted that T-Mobile did NOT roam on ATnT towers except for emergency calls. Not sure if that is still the case, although a friend with T-mobile still cannot make calls from our local city. We switched to ATnT, problem solved! Please don't take this a overall criticism of T-Mobile, it worked great in the areas they had reception, it just happened that when we moved to this part of KY from NC, their coverage wasn't the best.
All 4 of my families T-Mobile phones were roaming on the ATT network last week while camping in upstate NY.
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
All 4 of my families T-Mobile phones were roaming on the ATT network last week while camping in upstate NY.
I grew up just south of Cooperstown & get back there from time to time from north central Washington State. I like to take some family for a couple of days running around the area. Where did you folks camp while in the state?

Vic
97 36RM
thebunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpendley View Post
I am looking for a good solution.

Full timing for 5 years. Web developer / entrepreneur

Verizon ran me $1,200/month the beginning of this year. Awesome service... just losing my right arm.

I split my wife and daughter off my Verizon plan and put them into AT&T. I got 60GB a month, but my family is suffering. The service stinks. What good is all that data you can't reach?!

I don't need TV, just internet. Considering Dish.
Although we still have a home we are full timing for a while do to work. The campground has cox cable for TV and we just signed up for a cox internet acccount. We pay 43.00 a month for 15 meg download speed. That includes renting the cable modem from them. The cable modem we rented is a wireless router so everyone in the camper can use it. Cox sent me a notice they have 15,000 hot spots around the US and i can use any one of them. I intend when I start traveling again to try keeping my account and then if the campground has cox I should be able to just sign on.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With T-Mobile I go all the way back to Omnipoint. back then Omnipoint was the only all GSM cellular network (how voice calls are handled) then AT&T switched to GSM and caused all sorts of issues till they worked out an agreement.. Up till a couple months ago my phone (Galaxy S-III said it could connect to either T-mobile or AT*T towers but it took a shower and stopped working. the new S-5 connects to T-mobile or Verizon. (or so it says) Since the coverage maps for V and A are dang near identical.. this should not cause me a problem

The problem is neither V,A or T-mobile covers where I'm sitting.. Thankfully park Wi-Fi works.. most of the time,, Sort of (Phone will not ring for some reason).
Old 08-03-2015, 05:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunns View Post
I grew up just south of Cooperstown & get back there from time to time from north central Washington State. I like to take some family for a couple of days running around the area. Where did you folks camp while in the state?

Vic
97 36RM
We stayed at Jellystone of Birchwood Acres in Greenpoint NY.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:25 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
We stayed at Jellystone of Birchwood Acres in Greenpoint NY.
You had mentioned that you had stayed in upstate New York. Long Island is not upstate as I remembered it.

Vic

97 36RM
Old 08-05-2015, 05:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunns View Post
You had mentioned that you had stayed in upstate New York. Long Island is not upstate as I remembered it.

Vic

97 36RM
I live on the Island and you are referring to Greenport which is near Orient Point. I should have written Greenfield or more properly Greenfield Park which is just west of Poughkeepsie. Too many greens and points and ports around here. LOL
Old 08-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #26

I use Verizon with a Jetpack......and use a Wilson Sleek to put my Jetpack in. We use 2 iPhones....a kindle and an iPad along with our wireless printer.My 30Gig plan runs 254.00 a month.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I live on the Island and you are referring to Greenport which is near Orient Point. I should have written Greenfield or more properly Greenfield Park which is just west of Poughkeepsie. Too many greens and points and ports around here. LOL
Thanks for the clarification! Greenfield Park is actually south of where I grew up but will make a note of it when travelling in that area.

Vic

97 36RM

Tags
service