RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 06:46 PM   #1

Internet service

I travel full time and I am frustrated by the lack of internet services! Presently I have an ATT Hot spot but I have been hit with over charges for Data. What is the best service for internet across the country? Is it one of the cable service. I also have Dish Network but if I want to watch a movie , it hits my Data BIG TIME? And most campgrounds have terrible internet service! Help

jacklynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've tried a Verizon MiFi, ATT ZTE, and now the Winegard Togo Roadlink C2...and my phones.

Phones don't usually make great hotspots, but they work.

The Verizon was great, lots of coverage, pretty fast most of the time. Most expensive data out of anyone I ever used. I was buying the pay as you go...I gave it up pretty quick. Nothing bad other than price. I think it was $90 for 10 or 15Gig. I can burn up 15Gig in a couple of days on the road.

ATT ZTE was one of those unlimited plans you can find on EBay. Coverage was OK, speed was ok. That ran $60/month for truly unlimited data, no throttle after any amount of data. Worked great, the ZTE device was totally portable, charge lasted 30-40 hours, put it in your pocket and you are totally connected just about anywhere.

I just put up a Winegard Togo Roadlink C2, haven't had it on the road yet (leaving end of the month) but in the driveway..works fine. After $399 for the Togo, it's only $360/year truly unlimited data, not throttles, no data caps...it's only works with ATT's network, so coverage might not be as good as Verizon; but mostly fine for me. Not as portable as the ZTE, but it not only will use cellular to provide an internet hotspot, but it also can be switched over to connect to campground WIFI if the cellular signal is weak.

There are a lot of resources/opinions, good luck filtering through it all...

Ron

rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #3
NXR

If you're an FMCA member they have a Sprint hotspot for $50/month with unlimited data. We've only had it a few months and a few trips but it's worked everywhere we've been. Not a lot of bandwidth at one place if you measure it but more than enough to run streaming with a Roku. You'd need to look at their coverage map to see if it meets your location needs.

https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?

https://www.fmca.com/component/fmcatechconnect/

Ray
Old 10-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #4

I've had Visible service since June and it is working great. Visible is owned by Verizon thus uses Verizon towers. You can buy a Visible R2 android phone for $19 and service is $40/month for unlimited talk, text, and data. I'm three weeks into my current billing cycle and have used 360GB of data connected to the phone's hotspot.
Tom_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #5

We had the Verizon Jetpack with their "unlimited" plan for many years. But you get throttled back at 15 gig and we hit that pretty fast. Even when not throttled, it kept getting slower and slower. Have just switched to the TOGO plan and so far it's much faster and with the coach parked beside the house, we get a good signal inside.
If you use campground reviews, they often tell you what provider's you can get signals for.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #6

We have Verizon mifi hot spot 15gigs and tablet with 15gigs hot spot,and T Mobile phone magenta plan with 20gigs Hot spot. $125 MO. total we like having 2 different services just in case. You can go online now to t mobile TEST DRIVE and they send you a hot spot with 30 gigs FREE for 30 days 30 gigs which ever comes first. It was great .
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post

I just put up a Winegard Togo Roadlink C2, haven't had it on the road yet (leaving end of the month) but in the driveway..works fine. After $399 for the Togo, it's only $360/year truly unlimited data, not throttles, no data caps...it's only works with ATT's network, so coverage might not be as good as Verizon; but mostly fine for me. Not as portable as the ZTE, but it not only will use cellular to provide an internet hotspot, but it also can be switched over to connect to campground WIFI if the cellular signal is weak.

There are a lot of resources/opinions, good luck filtering through it all...

Ron
We also are using the TOGO Roadlink C2 and have been traveling with it for the past 2 months through the mid-west and into UP Michigan. We are very satisfied with it's performance. Obviously, the $30 per month for unlimited internet is attractive but, we also wanted it for it's redundancy when used in conjunction with our Verizon phones. Not the latest, fastest or best architecture out there but, it has worked great-we are happy TOGO users.
Solo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklynch View Post
I travel full time and I am frustrated by the lack of internet services! Presently I have an ATT Hot spot but I have been hit with over charges for Data. What is the best service for internet across the country? Is it one of the cable service. I also have Dish Network but if I want to watch a movie , it hits my Data BIG TIME? And most campgrounds have terrible internet service! Help
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Others have pretty much covered the possibilities but noticed you are kinda new here and wanted to say hello.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #9
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
We had the Verizon Jetpack with their "unlimited" plan for many years. But you get throttled back at 15 gig and we hit that pretty fast. Even when not throttled, it kept getting slower and slower. Have just switched to the TOGO plan and so far it's much faster and with the coach parked beside the house, we get a good signal inside.
With all due respect, the TOGO system uses AT&T and there are still large areas where AT&T coverage is non-existent (for example, try eastern OR). If it works in areas where you travel that's great, but we carry both unlimited Verizon and AT&T hotspots simply because any one can fail without warning. For example, last night we were streaming YouTube TV and our AT&T hotspot crashed. It took more than an hour for the problem to get resolved. It was nice to be able to switch to our Verizon connection.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:50 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Even though ATT coverage isn't the best everywhere, Togo gives you the flexibility to seamlessly switch to a good WIFI signal.

It could even piggy back on the WIFI from your Verizon hotspot or phone and use it as your WAN connection.

It's certainly not the only way to handle the issue, but it's a definite feature.

Cost wise, Togo ($400+$360)was a direct replacement for my ATT ZTE unlimited hotspot at $60 + $720/year - first year; then $360/yr after that...actually saving $20 first year...woo-hoo, dinner at McDonalds.

I still have my Verizon MiFi pay-as-you-go just in case ATT is dead and there isn't a viable WIF network to get on.

I think the biggest benefit for equal cost, is the ability to use WIFI or ATT Cellular as the WAN.

Don't get me wrong, this thing is frustrating the heck out of me. I can't stand not being able to 'control' the router. I understand why they would lock it up, they simplified a fairly complex environment, however they could have an 'expert mode' for those who would like to tinker.

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:35 PM   #11

I like the discussion here. Seems RV are really not big on internet services. I was hoping more mobile type access. I am planning to do some internet work that would require reliable access and decent speed. I have Verizon phone now, and as far as phones, seems to work best where I now live and been decent in the state parks I've visited in the past. But Park Internet has been sketchy. And they do have intermittent at best internet service unless parked right next to the station. I plan to go RV living up the Ca coast for a year, hit State campgrounds. Then later , Venture to maybe AZ, Oregon etc.
jmrec100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:43 PM   #12

Verizon

Try the 55+ plan from Verizon. Tether to you phone via a USB cable. Use the WIFI for slower connection speed. USB faster. Unlimited connection everywhere.
JGrosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrosman View Post
Try the 55+ plan from Verizon. Tether to you phone via a USB cable. Use the WIFI for slower connection speed. USB faster. Unlimited connection everywhere.
Hmm. Didn't know can do that. I used a hotspot at a friend's business for a while. It was a old business complex with the old ATT internet setup. Just horrible. This hotspot was better and fast. Worked well for a while. Then the hotspot carrier shut us down. Because they said only for phone use. Guessing the issue was did a wireless connection from computer to the hotspot box. Guess should have connected thru the phone via USB. I'll lookup how to do so. Is there a link to Verizon 55+ plan? I'll do a search and see if I can find it.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrosman View Post

I went to Verizon , looked up 55+
Site: https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/55plus/

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...nlimited-plan/

Seems only in FL? Is this right?

Tags
internet, service