Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2017, 09:01 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Inverter for one outlet

I am planning to purchase a Lance 1685 travel trailer that is well equipped for boondocking:
- all LED lights
- 12 volt television
- two 6 volt golf cart batteries
- 160 watt solar panel on roof to keep batteries charged
So, it is equipped to run everything except the air conditioner and microwave without having to use a generator, which I will have with me to do that only when needed. And I want to minimize that need by staying in cooler climates and using the propane cooktop.
BUT....if I want to watch satellite TV, I need 120 volts to power the satellite receiver. I may use an automatic satellite finding dish, like a tailgater that is powered through the receiver. I will also need 120 volts if I install a Wifi Ranger.
So I will probably want to have 120 volts at just the receptacle near the TV (only one TV).
Some of my concerns are:
- does it need to be a pure sine wave inverter to run the satellite receiver correctly? or will a modified sine wave inverter work just fine?
- how will I charge my laptop computer? If off an inverter, is a modified sine wave OK? I could do it from the same receptacle that the television is plugged in to.

I plan to be away from hookups a lot and maybe away from over-the-air TV reception, so this is a big deal for me.

Can you suggest solutions - type of inverter and how to hook up?
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2017, 09:15 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
When I had my 5th wheel toy hauler, I did exactly what you are asking about. I mounted the inverter in the basement, on the wall behind the battery compartment. You want your DC cables to be as short as possible, but not in the same compartment as the batteries. It also needs to be fused. Then I installed a male plug on some romex to plug into the inverter. I ran the romex up through the floor into the cavity of the dresser drawers in the bedroom. You can run it anywhere you please but the dresser was directly over the basement where I mounted the inverter. Then I mounted a standard wall receptacle on the side of the dresser. If the inverter has the option of a remote, I would run it into the same location. Mine did not so I had to go outside to turn on/off the inverter.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #3

An inverter with a rating up to 400w comes with a cigarette lighter type power cord. There should be a 12v recept. near your TV (power amp for TV antenna). Just plug the inverter (mod or true sine, doesn't matter) into the 12v receptacle and charge away. Be sure to turn off the TV antenna power amp when not using the TV, it draws a lot of current. And unplug the inverter when not in use for the same reason. Larger than 400w, you have to connect inverter directly to your batteries via alligator clips. The 400w will do what you want just fine. When we're on a trip in our TT, I use the 400w inverter, but I plug it into my TV to recharge the toothbrush and shaver, since we are out and about in the car anyway.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #4

There are inverters out there that come with outlets on them.....I bought a PSW type, 800 watts to run TV and auto satilight King Flex......works good.....for the phone and such, there are cig. type adapters that have multi plug-ins
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #5

I full time and Boondock primarily. Although I have a champion generator I hate to listen to it, other than coffee in the morning. For my electronics I bought a 350 watt inverter that plugs in to the 12v cigarette lighter. It takes care of my electronic needs. I looked at putting in a bigger inverter, but it has never been an issue.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #6

Lots of conversation on this forum about measuring your daily amp draw [includes all of the 12v amp draws in your rig] and then designing your batteries, solar panels, and inverter capacities. Based on my review of the info on this forum, 160w of solar and two 6-volt batteries will not give you a lot of capacity. Cooler climes usually mean more cloudy days--as long as you plan on your generator being your primary means of power while off the grid, you will probably be ok.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:39 AM   #7

My laptop brick got hot on a MSW inverter. It was a cheap HF model so that could have been the reason. Just needed something until the one I ordered came in. I went to a 1000 watt PSW a week later.

With today's prices why buy a MSW inverter for a few $ less then a PSW. They are more efficient in what they do and will run whatever you plug into it, under their rated watts.

The main thing to check is the amps they draw in idle or standby mode. Unless your going to switch it off, every time your not using it, you want a low draw. My Xantrex ProWatt draws less then .5 amps. I only switch it off in storage.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #8

I use a Harbor freight 400 watt inverter..

for the 32 inch flat screen Samsung and a directV genie receiver and antenna.... 2 laptops for charging and 2 cell phones.... and a Verizon hotspot tablet...

3 years now.

I have (2) 12 volt deep cycle batteries.. works well for me.

I also have a Westinghouse genset. when needed.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #9
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJerry View Post
Some of my concerns are:
- does it need to be a pure sine wave inverter to run the satellite receiver correctly? or will a modified sine wave inverter work just fine?
- how will I charge my laptop computer? If off an inverter, is a modified sine wave OK? I could do it from the same receptacle that the television is plugged in to.
Electronics need pure sine wave inverters. They may work on a modified sine wave one for a while, but that will eventually degrade their components. Digital circuitry is not built to handle it.
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #10

RB, I don't disagree that PSW are better inverters, but there are a lot of coaches out there still with MSW inverters and all kinds of TVs etc that don't seem to be bothered by MSW waveforms. The OP has a simple need, charge a laptop battery and watch TV; A MSW, 400w inverter will do that nicely.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.B View Post
Electronics need pure sine wave inverters. They may work on a modified sine wave one for a while, but that will eventually degrade their components. Digital circuitry is not built to handle it.
No, they don't. Motors need PSW inverters, electronics don't care as they are going to take the AC and convert it to DC anyway with rectifiers and filters.

Cruzbill had the right answer.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:40 AM   #12

You could get a 1000W invertor and just plug your shore power cord into it and use the 120V plugs in the TT. It's my understanding that you would need a transfer switch if you want to charge the batteries though.
I do the same sorta. I have a 40" Samsung, Winegard X2 sat dish. I have a 1000W inverter in my 5er basement. I ran 3 separate wires to 3 separate 120V plugins. That way I can run the gen to charge the batteries and use the inverter at the same time. It was actually pretty easy to run the house wire.
The other way is to just buy a decent 500W inverter and wire it directly to the batteries. Mount it where ever and use it for the tv and sat.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #13

Jerry, re-reading your post, doesn't your coach come equipped with an inverter/charger? Likely a 2,000w MSW inverter? Just use your existing inverter and recharge your batteries with your on-board generator. Am I assuming too much? BTW, a 160w solar panel will produce about 8 amps in full sun for about 5 hrs a day. So you can only put back about 40 amp/hrs back into your batteries. Think of your solar as more like a trickle charger to keep the batteries up while in storage. I think with or without a small 400w inverter, you are going to have to run your generator some to keep your batteries charged.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
An inverter with a rating up to 400w comes with a cigarette lighter type power cord. There should be a 12v recept. near your TV (power amp for TV antenna). Just plug the inverter (mod or true sine, doesn't matter) into the 12v receptacle and charge away. Be sure to turn off the TV antenna power amp when not using the TV, it draws a lot of current. And unplug the inverter when not in use for the same reason. Larger than 400w, you have to connect inverter directly to your batteries via alligator clips. The 400w will do what you want just fine. When we're on a trip in our TT, I use the 400w inverter, but I plug it into my TV to recharge the toothbrush and shaver, since we are out and about in the car anyway.
Any thing over 150 watts, you are better off making a direct to battery connection to minimize voltage drop and over heating. 400 watts at 12 volt is 33 amps. Most 12 volt sockets are rated at about 7 amps.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter