Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2019, 01:00 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
iPhone X Hotspot

Really disappointed with data speed for our iPhone X we bought last December. Can't figure out why it is so much slower than the LG V30 and the Asus Tablet Z8s. Verizon tech had us update the cell tower connectivity but that didn't help.

We use Fast app to measure download speed and only get 300-800kbps while LG and tablet will get 4-10mbps. In the evening when the network slows down I'll get 1-2 mbps and the iPhone will slow to 200-400kbps.

We travel full time and use the hotspot as our source for the 2 Dell laptops. We see slow speeds on the iphone all the time. Seems like the iphone was always slower, tho I can't be sure we compared speeds when new.

Any suggestions short of resetting the phone and losing all the installed apps???

Thx, Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #2

Is it equally slow whether you run a speed test on the phone internally or a second device connected to the phone’s hotspot?
Old 07-29-2019, 02:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, slower by half or so, while hotspot may be 5-10 times slower.

Ex: Just ran Fast on both phones twice:
.... i-phone 1.8 meg, then 1.7 meg
.... LG V30 3.8 meg, then 3.7 meg
.... Asus Tablet 9.1 and 9.8 meg

Sometimes they are more equal but iphone is never higher speed.

The tablet is faster I think because it has a much bigger antenna and usually has one more bar on signal. The LG and iphone usually have the same # of bars. My experience is at many different locations, maybe 20 or more places.

I have a WeBoost and use that if my LG is having trouble getting service. We put the iphone next to WeBoost and don't see much improvement on hotspot speed.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #4

I would swap the SIM cards between the two phones, just to confirm it’s in the iPhone and not a Verizon side issue.

If that confirms it’s the phone I’d do a reset on it. If that fails return it for warranty while you still can.

If you’re into digging into the details you may learn something from putting the iPhone in “field test mode”. That shows all the particulars of the connection to the tower. Android has similar but differently named functions. I’ve used that at times and discovered the issue was different devices using different LTE frequency bands. Just because they’re all Verizon doesn’t mean they’re all on the same band. That said, given the repeated results you’ve experienced over time I think it’s either a configuration issue on the Verizon side or phone side, or a bad radio in the phone.

PS if you have anyone willing to loan you an ATT or T mobile SIM for testing that might be illuminating as well.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have what I think Verizon calls the 55+ Unlimited Plan which gives us an Unlimited connection except the hotspot feature is throttled to between 600 & 800 KBS. We can connect to the lighting connection and stream Netflix to the TV but we set up as a hotspot its a no go.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:01 PM   #6

Apple used two different brand modem chipsets in their iPhones. One is slower than the other. Check to see what chipset you have. Don't quote me on this, but I think the Intel version is slower than the Qualcomm. Look to the iPhone community for specifics.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
We have what I think Verizon calls the 55+ Unlimited Plan which gives us an Unlimited connection except the hotspot feature is throttled to between 600 & 800 KBS. We can connect to the lighting connection and stream Netflix to the TV but we set up as a hotspot its a no go.
CWSWine, you nailed it! It got me thinking about our Verizon plan so I went in and found the problem.
About 2 months back I called Verizon to see if I could raise my 22G/15G limits. The tech said I could change to mix-n-match plan and get 70G/20G for $20/mo additional. I planned to do that in November when I can drop the $20/mo Asus Tablet. But the tech changed it immediately and put me on "Beyond Unlimited" and my wife's iphone on "Go Unlimited". The monthly bill was almost exactly the same. Turns out 3 Verizon techs we have talked to did not know that Go Unlimited gives you a reduced hotspot at up to 600k at all times. Tonight I had our plan reversed back to the way it was, starting in 10 days for the next billing month.

diginomad, I think you've nailed it too. The iPhone always tests slower so it makes sense it may be hardware related. We'll be in San Jose in a week and will visit an Apple Store to see what they find.

I will post the outcome, hopefully with some good results.

Thanks for the support ..... should of come to you guys sooner.

Happy Trails,
Bill

Tags
phone