Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Is there a dish aiming 129 only?

in my home i am using 1000.2 dish to receive signals from 110, 119 and 129 birds. i have an r4sl on my rig roof with pay as you go program. all work well. however sometimes i have an urge to get a portable to handle the scenario of no clear sky.

i am thinking if i can buy a small fixed dish and carry the home receiver i have, there will be no extra cost. since i am 95% of time watching hi def, aiming 129 is probably enough for me. so here is the question - is a small dish in the market that i can use to aim 129 satellite only? thanks.

Edit: dish 500 can receive 110 and 119. if i just to aim 129, the dish size could be smaller i guess.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #2

Winegard Carryout Manual Portable Satellite TV Antenna
Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Community Moderator

That is cool. Thanks. On the site, it doesn't say what kind of receiver is required, may I assume any dish network home receiver will work with it?
Old 11-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
That is cool. Thanks. On the site, it doesn't say what kind of receiver is required, may I assume any dish network home receiver will work with it?
The Carryout will work with either DISH Network or DirectTV through the toggle DIP switches that need to be set inside the head. The Carryout will receive 110, 119, and 129 but not simultaneously. There is no dome on the present market that will receive more than one satellite at a time. I use the Carryout with my home VIP-722 DISh receiver when I'm on the road. The carryout is fully automatic, and power is required at all times to switch satellites.

The Anser Antenna is the newer portable antenna. It will work for DISH network and any receiver except the Hopper and Joey. It is a single satelite receiver and will receive DISH Network Satellite 72 degrees and provide all the channels that you can see on 110, 119, and 129.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Hi Wayne, good to know all of those. "power is required at all times to switch satellites", so it's not using single coax connection. Another thing - automatic is cool, but that means there must be an extra signal line so the receiver can tell antenna to stop searching, while regular house roof antenna does not have such a line, as the antenna is fixed. That will have some restrictions on receivers, I guess.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Community Moderator

i am reading the thread started by saraw, really informative. all of what people were talking about seem to be automatic. is there a pure manual just like a house roof antenna but very small?
Old 11-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
i am reading the thread started by saraw, really informative. all of what people were talking about seem to be automatic. is there a pure manual just like a house roof antenna but very small?
I believe you would choose something like this... Amazon.com: Dish Network 1000.2 Dish 110, 119, 129 Satellites High Definition Dish: Electronics

Looks like several are available from Dish (and other retailers). http://www.dishformyrv.com/satellite-antennas/
Old 11-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Hi Sarah,you are absolutely right. I am using this for my home, working like wonders, and I installed it myself. The only reason for me to look around for others is the size - this one is pretty big, inconvinent to carry around.

Thanks for the link for many more to explore. Hope you find yours as well.
Cheers
Old 11-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hi Sarah,you are absolutely right. I am using this for my home, working like wonders, and I installed it myself. The only reason for me to look around for others is the size - this one is pretty big, inconvinent to carry around.

Thanks for the link for many more to explore. Hope you find yours as well.
Cheers
Sorry I'm not more help. As you see by my other posts, I'm not quite up to speed on satellite TV. This one is 18"...is that a good size for you? DISHForMyRV - 18" LBNF Mobile Satellite Dish / Antenna with Tripod

Good luck finding one.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Sorry I'm not more help. As you see by my other posts, I'm not quite up to speed on satellite TV. This one is 18"...is that a good size for you? DISHForMyRV - 18" LBNF Mobile Satellite Dish / Antenna with Tripod

Good luck finding one.
Thank you again Sarah. You are learning fast I can see you are a portable dish expert now 18" is the smallest I seen so far with full manual pointing. If there are no better candidates, I will probably pick up one of this. Have fun.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #11

I use the tailgater with a VIP211k box. All required signals go through the coax. The tailgater automatically switches between the 3 satellites. Just place it on the ground, picnic table, etc., aim it towards the south, and go. It points itself.

2013 Newmar Ventana 3634
gmpartsvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thank you again Sarah. You are learning fast I can see you are a portable dish expert now 18" is the smallest I seen so far with full manual pointing. If there are no better candidates, I will probably pick up one of this. Have fun.
Let me know how the manual type works for you. I might decide that we don't "need" an automatic as a spare after all.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
This summer I had Dish installed at our summer lake house with the intent of using the equipment in our MH. Dish installed the 1000.2 EA (61 & 72) twin LNB dish and 722K receiver. I bought a second 1000.2 EA online from the supplier noted above and some other electronics to minimize disconnecting too many wires. I currently have this new dish mounted at my fall house and will bring it along with the 722K in our MH when we head south for the winter.

Storage of the dish in the MH was also an issue. Since I replaced the front 24" Sony TV with an LED, it left a big hole in the front overhead cabinet for storage. My DW suggested I could store the dish up there behind the LED TV. The LNB arm sticks out so far from the dish that it would not fit in the new storage compartment. It turns out where the LNB arm attaches to the dish mount is connected in place with two rivets on each side of the arm. I drilled out the bottom two rivets and replaced them with a 5/16 thru-bolt and nylon insert nut. The arm almost folds up completely (pivots about the upper rivets) towards the dish face (similar to an automatic system) and now easily fits into the overhead space. I've dismounted and remounted the dish from the house and folded up the arm several times now. It realigns with the satellite without any issues.

BTW, we are planning on wintering out west next year and will swap out the EA twin LNB with the WA triple LNB. It's a direct replacement on the 1000.2 without modification.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
I bought a second 1000.2 EA . . .

Storage of the dish in the MH was also an issue . . . The LNB arm sticks out so far from the dish that it would not fit in the new storage compartment. It turns out where the LNB arm attaches to the dish mount is connected in place with two rivets on each side of the arm. I drilled out the bottom two rivets and replaced them with a 5/16 thru-bolt and nylon insert nut.
You could have saved yourself a lot of work by buying a 1000.4 dish instead as the LNB arm is bolted (not welded) to the aiming assembly.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish