Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #1

It's 2020, is most everybody streaming on the road?

Its 2020 and things SEEM to be moving away from other sources to streaming. Weve put streaming in at home, and it works fine. And theres the bonus of dumping Directv, which makes us very happy.
I see periodic topics in here about streaming on the road. How are you doing it? Weve got Verizon, and they admit their unlimited is anything but, with a cap at 15GB for the hotspot or 30GB if you spend more (Ive got a Jetpack we currently use for Internet data). Im not sure how much data it takes for an hour of tv, but Im guessing between the grandkids wanting to watch whatever and the wife watching Food, that 15GB isnt going to come close to covering a month.
It appears there WAS a true unlimited prepaid hotspot plan from Verizon, but it also appears Verizon killed it sometime in 2019 at least I cant find any references to one available now.
So how are the people RVing and streaming their tv doing it? Or does everybody STILL have to have a satellite system too?
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2020, 11:43 AM   #2

We use an old plan from AT&T called the Connected Car Plan. This plan is no longer available in it's true unlimited status. My friends are using OTR Mobile which is on the AT&T network.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:07 PM   #3
tcg

I have over a TB of movies and TV shows on an external drive that plugs into the TV in my RV.

If there are no over air stations or nothing on local TV I have hours and hours of stuff to watch.

We mostly watch in the evenings or rainy days.

For Christmas I got the complete Columbo collection and a few other TV series collections that I enjoy.

I'll have to rip those to mp4s before spring but it's enough to keep me happy for a couple years.

But sooner or later I will end up with a portable satellite dish because I love channel surfing.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:23 PM   #4

I've been happy streaming using OTR Mobile with a Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 hotspot. It's ATT's network, unlimited but network managed. We've streamed from Massachusetts down to New Orleans, then west across Texas to Las Cruces, NM. The only dead zone was the Davis Mountains State Park in Texas where no carrier has service unless you drive to the top of the mountain. Overall, I've been very happy, moreso knowing what my buddy pays for Verizon. The OTR plan is hotspot only, so we pay for our phones (and our adult children's phones) separately.
The MR1100 is pricey new. I got a used one on eBay for $167 in very good condition.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #5

I am still new to this but also have the jetpack with verizon and 15 kb of un throttled data before it starts to slow down on this "unlimited plan". My wife also has an additional 8 kb on her phone as a unthrottled hotspot. We have not used this enough to know how well it will work when we are on the road.
I was told that it would be about 1kb an hour to stream tv, but that internet searches would use less data.

Also it appears that since I don't need HD that the throttled rate should be able to screen Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Direct TV to my RUKU TV's. If this works like advertised it will be great. We will probably only watch TV in the evenings when on the road,but may be on the computers anytime.

I will have to play with it more to see if it does indeed meet our needs.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #6

We download all our content from Netflix, Amazon, PBS, to a dedicated android device at home and then screens share it to one of the TVs.

We will occasionally download more content via cell network if needs be.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:24 PM   #7

We full-time and hardly ever stream. Between Dish, OTA and several hundred recorded movies on a hard drive, streaming isn't that important to us.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #8

nope, not streaming here. dish network and OTA.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:05 PM   #9

Dish + 8TB media library. Where we tend to camp cell service is not adequate to stream if it's available at all.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There aren't currently any plans available to get now that will allow you to stream "unlimited".
The best solution is to join FMCA, and get their offers.
Verizon "unlimited" from FMCA allows 25 gb. The Sprint plan allows 50gb.

These are both exclusive of FMCA.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
There aren't currently any plans available to get now that will allow you to stream "unlimited".
The best solution is to join FMCA, and get their offers.
Verizon "unlimited" from FMCA allows 25 gb. The Sprint plan allows 50gb.

These are both exclusive of FMCA.
Check out https://www.otrmobile.com. As I mentioned above, it's unlimited at $65/mo.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:29 PM   #12

Another vote for OTR Mobile for unlimited, unthrottled data. For tv we use YouTube TV, Netflix and Prime Video.
OTR is 60 bucks a month and YouTube TV is about 50 bucks. Love YouTube TV and their cloud based DVR.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:25 PM   #13

I would vote for OTR mobile out of the plans that are available at the moment, note I also have the no longer available Mobley AT&T connected car unlimited plan, On our 25 day long trip in October we used 226GB of data on the CCU plan, which included a bit of streaming, most days as well as general internet access, my wife also had to do a fair amount of telecommuting for her job while we were on the road.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:16 AM   #14

One reply stated that streaming uses 1kb .make that 1 gig. Or morej
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote