Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jack Digital HDTV Antenna System?

JACK Digital HDTV Antenna System- White - King Controls OA8200 - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World

I have read several threads links on this system, but would like to know about follow ups...how long have you had the Jack ?

Do you recommend it?

What are your likes and dislikes?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #2

I put one on my Class 'C', IMHO you'd be hard pressed to get an antenna better than it overall. You might find one with a little better signal or something, but as a whole package, no worries of up & down, same performance going down the road as parked (aiming aside), etc., etc., etc.

I think the only drawback worth mentioning to me is that, like any directional antenna, I have to adjust it to change stations from different cities. No big deal usually, but if I'm watching one city at night from bed, then want to watch a different channel in the morning, I have to get up to do so.

Not a laziness thing, it just starts a long chain reaction. The DW asks me to put on the coffee, the dogs want out, the neighbours start chatting.

So much for a lie in.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
You regular antenna will receive digital signals, no need for a new antenna. That's a myth fostered by some antenna makers to make theirs seem like it's better.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, there is no such thing as a DIGITAL antenna, all antennas are analog. They pick up RF,, Good old analog RF, Now digital information MAY BE ENCODED on that RF, but the antenna, to be honest, Does not know what is there.

Just so you know the very first radio transmissions, THE VERY FIRST, were digital. That is how long radio has been digital.

And that same digital mode... Well this computer can do it today. (And does) I can too but the computer is better at it.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #5

If you want HD programming the Jack works great. You can't get HD with a regular antenna. I put one on my MH last year and its is great. My friend used it for about 6 months until he got his dish system at home and loved the HD programming. Worth the $60 for it.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
If you want HD programming the Jack works great. You can't get HD with a regular antenna.
Shhh, don't tell my old analog Winegard Sensar III with the Wingman attachment. It's been picking up HD programming since the digital switchover. Like my esteemed ham friend YXM pointed out, the transmission is analog, the INFORMATION in that analog transmission is digital. There is no such thing as a "digital" antenna.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
EH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
If you want HD programming the Jack works great. You can't get HD with a regular antenna. I put one on my MH last year and its is great. My friend used it for about 6 months until he got his dish system at home and loved the HD programming. Worth the $60 for it.
OTA HD is physically in the same frequency ranges as the old analog channels. I've gotten HD channels using a 6 foot length of wire! The point is that almost anything works, even the 40 year old designs we have on the roof of our RVs.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I use this to locate the direction of the local stations. Pop in the zip code and follow through it. Gives you the compass heading to point to. Jack has worked great for me in most cases to provide TV returns for work related TV viewing.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
YC1

The ONE that I installed on a sheriff command van performed very well and was easy to install. I believe you can actually change the head out on the old wineguard and use the crank up. The neat thing is the build in signal strength meter. As an ET owning a telecommunications service center I was personally impressed. When and if my roof antenna dies I will replace it with the Jack. In the mean time I do have the add on yagi which made a huge difference.
Invisi Brake, Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a great Android App for getting TV stations, distance, channels, directions, ect.

TV Antenna Helper (Free)
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was parked next to a fellow with a nex Jack antenna and my Wineguard IV Sensar pulled in a few more channels than he could. I'd stick with the old bat wing design with a Wingman added.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
Shhh, don't tell my old analog Winegard Sensar III with the Wingman attachment. It's been picking up HD programming since the digital switchover. Like my esteemed ham friend YXM pointed out, the transmission is analog, the INFORMATION in that analog transmission is digital. There is no such thing as a "digital" antenna.
X2 - Ain't no such thing as a digital HD antenna. Take the advice of all the amateur radio enthusiasts who know a thing or two about electronics and antennas...it's just a gimmick to get you to buy a new antenna and put money in someone else's pocket....
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #13

Off topic but I use DirecTV. The Sats are always in the same place and I don't have to scan for channels each time I move. Plus, I can record. I do have to spend ten minutes setting up the dish
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I was parked next to a fellow with a nex Jack antenna and my Wineguard IV Sensar pulled in a few more channels than he could. I'd stick with the old bat wing design with a Wingman added.

ken

x2

Tags
antenna