Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
I use a combination of devices to access the Internet while on the road as I have multiple computers and a iPhone that need access.
I posted some additional info and photos of the equipment I use on another thread that I though would be interesting to those that post/look at this thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/wifi-...tml#post650989

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Alan- this is off topic, but your front cap/roof seam needs recaulking.
Thanks for the concern Mike - it has already been recaulked since I took that photo!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #17

Texnet - thanks for the detailed info - looks like the Nanostation 2 mounted to the RV rooftop TV antenna to allow rotation for best signal strength, and the Ethernet feed directly to the laptop for WIFI access, SHOULD work great - if I'm reading all this correctly. Seems there are plenty of claims of distance coverage with the Nanostation 2 out as far as 6 miles and more, under good conditions...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #18

Jefatech update -
The good: At home I get usable signal from 5 or 6 sources on my block. Without the jefatech I could only see 2 with minimal erratic signal strength.
The bad: On the road I found that I wasn't able to connect to open hot spots. (Email querys to jefatech got timely responses.) RV parks with encrypted signals were all excellent.
The UGLY: Last nite in Livingston MT, a thunderstorm passed by and lightning found the jefatech antenna and it and repeater are toast.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 06-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Gary, Before I retired from the ISP business I used the Nanostation 2 for customers as far as 12 miles from our APs. Now you have to understand most of the AP antennas were 100-200 feet AGL and where running the max legal power. Also, I noticed that Darrel had his Jefatech hit by lighting. That is going to be true for almost any antenna on the top of a RV as a person would not normally drive a ground rod in the ground and run a ground wire to it. I do believe the Nanostation 2 would be less of a target to lighting due to its design. BTW, the Nanostation 2 list price is only $79.00 and if you are going to hook it straight to a computer that is very reasonable for the power and ability it has.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My question on the Jefa-Tech repeater is HOW TO CONNECT the thing. I have it up an running, I see the campground wifi, I set the repeater to the campground, I see NO where to input the campground username or password and the repeater will not connect to the internet. Been working all day, on and off, trying all types of changes, gone over and over the instruction book. There is NO help for setup with campgrounds with their own usernames and password, needed before you access the internet. I got this thing, for help with low single strength camp sites, now I am totally frustrated and the instructions for Jefa-Tech configuration fails to explain how to connect for those campground that have usernames and password before the internet come in. Any help or ideas.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have my manual handy, but I seem to recall reading a description on how to connect to wifi routers that require a password - I'm sure it was in the manual somewhere. Have you tried calling the company?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes there is such a section, however....to gain access to the internet you need to put in a username AND a password. This manual section ONLY speaks on how to input the password. NOT the username and password COMPINATION. Also the manual states the internet will come up but NADA, it does not.....because I can not input BOTH the username and password.
No have not contacted the company. Their web site says teck support cost $$.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #23

Steve
I don't recall having to input a username. If I connected to the site that was encrypted (using the correct parameters) the next pop-up asked for the password. In the past I recall having this type problem and it required enabling pop-ups via the "tools" function of Internet Explorer.

good luck - Darrel
Old 08-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Finally got my JefaTech repeater to WORK correctly. Yaaaaa. I did a reset, again (3rd time) and with a new brain the repeater finally kick in and with a hic-up the internet was available using the repeater in the RV.

Thanks for the help and ideas. But just spending TIME messing with the repeater did I finally get the internet.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:49 AM   #25

That Linksys router with the DD-WRT firmware in it does a LOT of different things. You really need to get familiar with it, and I think the only way is just to play with it. I just play with mine here at the house, but I entered both name and 63 digit password and it runs fine. It also took me several reboots to wake it up as I wanted it to be.

PS: Here's my omni install (No Coax yet)

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
SCVJeff...Thanks...been doing just that, getting familiar. But lots of what the firmware does is like way over my head and if I do not know what I am doing with it, I have been skipping making any weird changes. So I reset the device, like twice or more, and it finally took the RV park web site and I had the internet with the repeater. Now the repeater is "open" to all, so I was messing with setting a password, when I do the device loses the internet from the RV park ?????. Take out the password and set that section of firmware back to default and the RV park web internet comes back available. Guess I am still a novice at figuring the repeater and firmware out. I will be pulling out shortly and leaving the RV park, but I would still like to figure out how to set a password without the repeater losing the internet from the RV park.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #27

You have 2 passwords to deal with: That which talks to the CG WiFi, and the other between you and the repeater. Sounds like you might be using the wrong one. If the CG Wifi works through the repeater, then leave that un-passworded. But you do want to password access to it unless you're OK with sharing it with the neighbors. Remember that this is essentially a simplex repeater, so it will slow the throughput by 50% over whatever the main AP can supply, so it can tend to be a bandwidth hog.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
That Linksys router with the DD-WRT firmware in it does a LOT of different things. You really need to get familiar with it, and I think the only way is just to play with it. I just play with mine here at the house, but I entered both name and 63 digit password and it runs fine. It also took me several reboots to wake it up as I wanted it to be.

PS: Here's my omni install (No Coax yet)
Hey Jeff

I have done a similar antenna for my Hawking repeater. Been using it for about a year now and about all I can say is

Ran the cable (Rg400) down the mast thru the connector for the awning and into the Hawking.

Works just tickity boo!
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote