Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just installed a TOGO Roadlink C2

Just installed a Togo Roadlink C2 to replace my ATT Unlimited Hotspot.

First difference, Togo with the annual ATT unlimited data plan is $360/yr vs. $720/yr for a ATT Unlimited Hotspot (grandfathered plan off Ebay).

Second, the Togo can be prioritized but not throttled...meaning the only time you see a speed drop is if the tower is really busy. There are no data cap penalties.

Third, the Togo has a WIFI router built in, so you can either source your internet connection from a local WIFI or from the ATT Cellular network.

I didn't put it on the roof, instead mounted it in a cabinet right above the drivers seat. I was going to power it from a 12v3A power cube, but opted for connecting it into the 12VDC so it is powered while running down the road.

In my driveway, the Togo is getting a 8up/2down, which is actually a little better than the hotspot. I normally only see one or two bars on my phone. We are in a valley and none of the cell towers are line-of-sight.

I really like how easy it is to switch the Togo between WIFI and cellular source without affecting the connected devices. The entire app/device is all about simplicity...unfortunately I like to have full control of my network devices.

Couple of things I wish the Togo/Winegard Connected app had:

--Ability to 'hide' the main SSID, no big deal...who would try to connect to my SSID 'NSA Surveillance Van'
--See signal strength of nearby WIFI - once you connect to a WIFI network this goes away, unless you 'forget' all WIFI networks
--See/Control the connected devices
--Ability to control connected device IP reservations
--A few hard-wired network ports for non-WIFI devices

I'm hoping there will be software updates as this thing gets more popular. Right now I like it, but I'd love it if I could get at the WIFI router interface like I can with my Ubiquity stuff.

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Please post some pictures of the install - have been looking at it for several mts. Just don't want to stick another thing on the roof because I do not have great access to the roof while on the road if something goes wrong with it. I was actually thinking of doing some type of tri-pod mount.

The thing is like 19 in round by 9 tall -
mike625 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #3

I was thinking to connect my Ubiquity on the LAN side of the TOGO and then I would get all the features of the Ubiquity box.
MI Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
@Mike625 I'll take a pic tonight for you. The thing fit perfectly in the driver side overhead in my Bounder. Just need to hide the wire down to a fuse block. While it's a lot bigger than just a ZTE hotspot, I can still move it to another vehicle for a connected road trip.

I wish they would have better tech specs on the device, especially the antenna pattern for the WIFI. Since this device is supposed to be mounted up high, I would assume the WIFI spreads out and down. If so, mounting it upside down or lower than ceiling height might be less than optimal. By putting it in the overhead, vs floor level or below in an outside bay keeps the orientation similar to mounting on the roof. If you are close enough to it, it probably doesn't matter that much, just good to know.

@MI Navigator, I was thinking the same thing...I want to first see how it does with Tengo or any of those services where you get sent to a login page to connect. I liked using the Ubiquity stuff for those situations, pretty simple to get connected. Hopefully Togo will be similar or easier. I do IT stuff for a living, last thing I want to do is 'work' on networking problems while I'm on vacation. I RV to get away from that stuff.

Anybody take the cover off of the Togo, post a pic if you have one. I'm curious just not that ambitious...yet. If no one has done it, sooner or later curiosity will get me and I'll pop the cover to take a peek. I'm curious to see the MIMO connection (says two cell antennas in description), depending on how, that could mean a better (directional) antenna could be adapted.

Also in the description, it mentions an ethernet port...where is it? What am I missing?

Ron
Old 10-21-2019, 08:00 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Take a look at the video, there is a ethernet port inside that he talks about. I thinking maybe taking off the whole cover and installing it inside somewhere with an external antenna

TOGO C2 Wi-Fi Setup - $30 Unlimited AT&T 4G Data -
Old 10-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
How does it handle two connections? If you have the AT&T and Version Hotspot connect Via WIFI will Togo select the fastest one or do you have the check each connection and select the faster connection?
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
How does it handle two connections? If you have the AT&T and Version Hotspot connect Via WIFI will Togo select the fastest one or do you have the check each connection and select the faster connection?
It's set up with an ATT sim already - from what i've read -

example - if ATT was slow and Verizon had better download performance, you would have to switch it to use the Verizon hotspot manually. How it works in real life

The ATT data plan is what's the best part.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
@Mike625, I just looked at that video a few hours ago. I guess now I'll have to pop the cover and take a peek inside.

And +1 on the ATT only. The device only connects to the ATT cellular network. It has a cellular modem/SIM card that only supports ATT. But, it's only $30 (for annual contract) per month (after you blow $400 on the Togo box).

What it does however, is allow you to connect either to the ATT cellular network or a WIFI access point to access the internet. So, if you are in an ATT dead zone and the campground has a good WIFI, you can connect to the campground WIFI and all your devices connected to the Togo will operate as if you were connected to ATT. The Winegard Connected app is used to make the switch.

So, following that scenario with...if you have both ATT and a Verizon hotspot...dump the ATT hotspot, get a ToGo and the ATT plan for it, keep the Verizon if you need it - you are probably going to be money ahead in the long run...if you end up at a campground with no ATT and awful campground WIFI, but Verizon cellular works then have Togo connect to the WIFI on the Verizon hotspot.

ron
Old 10-21-2019, 06:45 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Install pics...

Togo fits perfectly, there is a little lip on the shelf, so it won't land in my lap while driving. Power is right below as well. The Air Gateway is right below it, the NanoStation (hardwired into the Air GateWay) is on a long cord so I can mount it in whichever window has the best line of sight to a campground access point.

Power will come from 12VDC power cube, house 12VDC and cigarette lighter plug (jeep)...plugged in when I have shore power, house 12VDC for traveling and the lighter plug if I move it to the Jeep.

I used these parts I got on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191021_190011.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	264355  
Old 10-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #10

Here is a pic of the electronics. The three small circuit cards are wifi and the other two are cellular. You're certainly reducing the signal strength by keeping it indoors. I drilled a hole right down through the roof inside of one of my cabinets to run the cable.

I saw a significant increase in wifi networks and cellular speed after installing it on the roof. I'm on the outskirts of my neighborhood and when I scan for wifi I see close to forty wifi networks. I see nine if I only scan for wifi from my phone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 3.09.43 PM.png
Views:	152
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	264526  
Old 10-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Beat me to it...I found another pic on an Airstream forum...top view.

On that forum, most were putting up on a pole - not many wanted to drill holes in their Airstream. Might consider that if I run into signal issues.

There was some disagreement in whether or not turning it made a difference in signal.

I get pretty good performance depending on the time of day. This morning it was around 8down/5up, tonight 11down/6 up. For me, that's pretty much normal, we are kinda in cell-hell. My ATT ZTE Hotspot got pretty much the same signal/performance. I'm sure when I'm on an interstate, the signal will be fine, that was my experience with the ZTE.

Everything I read on the other forums, this thing works pretty good. I just wish someone would give up the admin password, the gateway responds with a GUI, just no idea what the password is http://10.11.12.1/cgi-bin/luci/theme...ard2/index.htm

Some of the posters tried contacting Winegard to get the password, they refused and referred them back to the app as the only interface to the device. That's kinda of a bummer.

We will be on the road next week, we shall see how it goes while driving.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	939792A7-E8B7-4065-8E04-8B493C741FE7.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	264537  
Old 10-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
On that forum, most were putting up on a pole - not many wanted to drill holes in their Airstream. Might consider that if I run into signal issues.
I would mount it several inches above the roof. The edge of that bottom base does NOT look it make a waterproof seal with the top. You want any big rain puddle to go underneath it !
Old 10-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #13

I inquired about the password as well. I sat here one day trying every password I could think of but no luck. The app is functional but awful. I have it on the iPad and my Android phone and it's basically the same app. It looks like something that was designed about 20 years ago and never updated.

We are hitting the road tomorrow. Eastside of the Smokies. Our main stop has a warning on its website that cell reception is not great at all. They do claim to have high-speed wifi.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:17 AM   #14

I initially set up my Togo inside the RV to make sure it was working OK. The coach is parked next to my S&B and I was getting 2 bars on my computers inside the house. After I installed the unit on the roof of the RV, the signal went to 4 bars inside the house. I did not consider mounting the Togo inside a cabinet because I would not want to loose the storage space.
On the roof, I installed the Togo halfway between the forward AC unit and The Max-Fan cover over the central hatch. It is about 2 feet from both. I figure the AC unit will protect the Togo in most cases.
There was already a satellite dish about six feet behind where I mounted the Togo and the cable leads down through a cabinet. I decided to run the 12V cable back to that location so as not to make another hole in the roof. The Togo comes with a cover plate that will allow both cables to exit side by side, so it was easy to re-caulk and cover the hole. I used Eternabond tape to secure the 12V cable to the roof so as not to have more screw holes from cable clamps.
Inside the wire passes inside a cabinet behind the control panel for the generator, water pump, water heater etc. and I mounted the switch just above that panel. There were also 14 ga +/- wires run to power a single LED light that we never seem to use. So I tapped into that for the 12V power source.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led