RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #43

Is it a truck camper or a travel trailer? Either way, you need to have a 7 pin connector installed on your truck and, if a trailer, a brake controller if the TT is over 1500 lbs. I'm surprised the guy who rented to you didn't check this or inform you.

StageCoachDr is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #44

ETrailer has one for 8.95. Unfortunately you have to order it online.
Check out the auto stores or camping stores in the area.
7 way trailer adapter conversion

waterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #45

We have a 7 way plug on our class C and the tow dolly is a four way and also have magnetic lights with a four way plug. I have a 7 way plug that goes to a four way. An RV parts should have one but I ordered ours off Amazon with 2 day shipping. I can take a picture of the plug but don't know how to post it on this forum yet . I will try
Stevemarshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #46

The 4 pin flat connector is only for tail lights brake/turn signals and ground, he needs trailer brakes, a brake controller (brakes are required on anything heavier than 1499 lbs.) and a charging wire for the battery, as was said uhaul or any trailer dealer can do it. Most late model trucks come from the factory with both 4 and 7 wire plugs unless you truck is not rated for towing.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #47

IF the trailer you are renting is light less than 2K lbs fully loaded ie... it does not need brakes in your state and along your trip states then HOPKINS make a 4 flat to RV adapter like this.

NOTE: If your trailer needs brakes and a brake controller etc, uhaul is the place to get it all set up or an RV dealer.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #48

I got one at a company that sales trailers. You may try u-haul.
Glensouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #49

Gotcha. I'm new to this stuff too. Still learning. Thanks
Stevemarshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #50

Post # 40 9/3/19 the OP reported back that the trip went well.
Lynn
Old 09-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #51

Try U-Haul

Iíd recommend you go to a U-Haul location and
check with them about getting a 4-wire flat extension. They
should have one with a male plug on one end and
female on the other. Of course, check your lights to make
sure they are working correctly after you get it plugged in!
drgoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #52

They make an adapter, just have to find it.
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:19 AM   #53

1 ľĒ is probably correct

I didnít see a reference to what your TV is. The dealer shouldíve installed the hitch that corresponds with the tow capacity of your TV. For instance, my Ď15 FWD GMC Acadia seats 7, not small and is a midsize SUV, but the tow capacity is only 2K lbs, so a class 2, 1 ľĒ hitch would be proper. The AWD version with tow package is good for around 4500lbs, and would be Class 3, 2Ē hitch capable. BTW when I put a hitch on mine, I could only find a class 3 hitch. The only thing Iíll be towing is a light utility trailer or empty tow dolly. For our PT Cruiser, I think only Class 2 was available.

So what Iím saying is, he probably did install the correct hitch.

Itís great to hear you had a great trip and enjoyed it. You might want to try it again! BTW, depending on how often you do this, renting is probability cheaper, and you donít have to worry about maintaining it.

Dave D

!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoTrail View Post
Absolutely
ďThanks for the tip. If the dealer didn't install the wrong hitch (1 1/4" instead of 2"), I would pick one up today but these 1 and 1/4 inch hitches are difficult to find.

I referenced our state law in an earlier post as well. In my case, my trailer does not exceed 40% of the gross weight of the vehicle. In fact, my earlier estimate of being around 33% is probably lower after passengers are in the car. We'll probably be under 30% at that point or just at 30%. Also, this trailer is not equipped with electric brakes.Ē
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:08 AM   #54

Trip is over last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodson View Post
Iíd recommend you go to a U-Haul location and
check with them about getting a 4-wire flat extension. They
should have one with a male plug on one end and
female on the other. Of course, check your lights to make
sure they are working correctly after you get it plugged in!
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:08 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGDLD View Post
I didnít see a reference to what your TV is. The dealer shouldíve installed the hitch that corresponds with the tow capacity of your TV. For instance, my Ď15 FWD GMC Acadia seats 7, not small and is a midsize SUV, but the tow capacity is only 2K lbs, so a class 2, 1 ľĒ hitch would be proper. The AWD version with tow package is good for around 4500lbs, and would be Class 3, 2Ē hitch capable. BTW when I put a hitch on mine, I could only find a class 3 hitch. The only thing Iíll be towing is a light utility trailer or empty tow dolly. For our PT Cruiser, I think only Class 2 was available.

So what Iím saying is, he probably did install the correct hitch.

Itís great to hear you had a great trip and enjoyed it. You might want to try it again! BTW, depending on how often you do this, renting is probability cheaper, and you donít have to worry about maintaining it.

Dave D

!
Trip is over, last week.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical