Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2019, 09:59 PM   #1

Exclamation Just rented a camper- last minute help with electrical connection (pics included)

Rented a camper and in a bit of a apparent pickle with two days until we leave.

Attached picture shows a 7 way connector which is attached to the camper.

The other picture shows a 4 way flat which is connected to my vehicle.

I searched the internet, went to O'Reillys, and cannot find a 7 way connector to a 4 way pin. All I can find is 4 way flats.

Does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1024.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	258262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1026.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	258263  

NewtoTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 10:06 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The camper probably has brakes on it and one wire usually charges the camper battery. You need a 7 pin plug on your tow vehicle. You should also have a break controler. What's you TV and camper?
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
The camper probably has brakes on it and one wire usually charges the camper battery. You need a 7 pin plug on your tow vehicle. You should also have a break controler. What's you TV and camper?
Ah, so my vehicle is only setup with 4 way flat right now. You're saying I may need to have a 7 way pin plug on the vehicle installed? Any idea if that's a lengthy process? We leave in a couple of days so I might be toast on this one!

Sorry, not following your question - No TV? The camper is a tear drop.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #4

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Adapt.../dp/B000WG83HO

I wonder if something like this could work...

Edit: Never mind, that's a 4 way flat again.

Edit #2 - Maybe this one
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TowSmart...1415/206798880
Old 08-27-2019, 10:16 PM   #5

No big deal wiring it up for 7-pin. Or go to a U-Haul and have them do it.
If you are a bit competent you can do it yourself--if you have a battery charger and basic wiring tools. Use the battery charger and identify what each pin on the 7-pin connector does on the camper when you touch the powered 12V to each pin. Once you have that figured out, wire in a 7-pin female connector to the flat four coming out of your tow vehicle (TV)
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoTrail View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Adapt.../dp/B000WG83HO

I wonder if something like this could work...

Edit: Never mind, that's a 4 way flat again.

Edit #2 - Maybe this one
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TowSmart...1415/206798880
That should work for the turn signals, brake lights and such. I wouldn't think a tear drop camper wouldn't need or have brakes on it. TV = tow vehicle lol.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:18 PM   #7

Yup! Go with option #2
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
No big deal wiring it up for 7-pin. Or go to a U-Haul and have them do it.
If you are a bit competent you can do it yourself--if you have a battery charger and basic wiring tools. Use the battery charger and identify what each pin on the 7-pin connector does on the camper when you touch the powered 12V to each pin. Once you have that figured out, wire in a 7-pin female connector to the flat four coming out of your tow vehicle (TV)
Good news, thank you. I'll swing by somewhere tomorrow and get it done.

Glad the girlfriend won't be sleeping in a tent
Old 08-27-2019, 10:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
That should work for the turn signals, brake lights and such. I wouldn't think a tear drop camper wouldn't need or have brakes on it. TV = tow vehicle lol.
I sadly don't know either. Haven't really had time to even look at the camper, just trying to ensure it's road worthy.

Tow vehicle.. got it
Old 08-28-2019, 01:08 AM   #10

As mentioned already 6 and 7 way connectors are typically used on trailers which have electric brakes, this requires that the tow vehicle have an electric brake controller something like: https://smile.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90...dp/B001P11SCM/ mounted typically under the dash.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:06 AM   #11

I am a bit concerned that a rental place would rent you a camper that was definitely not compatible with your tow vehicle, at least electrically. How did you get the rv off their lot, or is it still there? Most likely you will need to modify your tow vehicle before you head out.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
I am a bit concerned that a rental place would rent you a camper that was definitely not compatible with your tow vehicle, at least electrically. How did you get the rv off their lot, or is it still there? Most likely you will need to modify your tow vehicle before you head out.
I couldn't agree more. I have rented RV's in the past and each time I had a complete light and brake check before leaving the rental facility. The rental place would check my platform hitch to assure it was secured properly and not rusted badly.
They even checked to be sure I had a valid driver's license.
Lynn
Old 08-28-2019, 08:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
As mentioned already 6 and 7 way connectors are typically used on trailers which have electric brakes, this requires that the tow vehicle have an electric brake controller something like: https://smile.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90...dp/B001P11SCM/ mounted typically under the dash.
Just googled about this - it appears you are technically allowed to tow an electric brake trailer without having an electric brake controller - it just means the electric brakes won't work.

The camper is very light weight; something like 1,200 pounds.

As far as how I got this off the lot - this was from a shared rental website, not an actual legitimate dealer. The drive home was 10 minutes and I held my arm out the window to indicate braking, turning etc... still dangerous but it's not going anywhere until I sort this out. Driving my other car around today.

Will post back later tonight on if the Home Depot adapter I linked above works.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:51 PM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
Depending on the state, you might not be required to have anything but the 4 way plug. Not saying that is safe, just might be situation on anything that light
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical