Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #1

King Controls Tuner Trouble

Anyone out there experience this issue????

I have two Direct TV satellite receivers. The one in the bedroom works fine as it has the AUX coax leading directly from the King Dome on the roof to the receiver.

The TV's in the front of the motorhome do not get satellite and their coax from the King Dome on the roof goes in to the back of a black box King Controls calls a "Tuner" and then to the Direct TV receiver. This "Tuner" also has a 4 prong telephone cable going to the "controler" which is the display showing when we are locked on a satellite. The controller display does not illuminate like it did when the TV's worked.

Before I order a new Tuner for $278 I thought I would see if any one else has had the same problem and if buying a new Tuner did fix the problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #2

The dome getting positioned and locking on to a satellite is determined by the tuner. Your dish still being able to find satellites tells me your tuner is working and might not be the problem being your bedroom TV is working

If you do need a new tuner or control panel, I have one of each I would be willing to sell you for $150 ea.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you swap the dish tuner in the front with the one in the back to make sure it is not the tuner. Also the cable from teh sattelite dish probably goes to some kind of switching panel or some mounted connector in your electronic area. This connector would have a short cable going to the dish reciever it could be bad. Several easy and inexpensive checks you can make to be sure that everything is working correctly besides the tuner. I also agree with the other poster. If your dish is going to the right spot and tv in back works sounds like the controller is working ok
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #4

King Controls Tuner Trouble

Thanks much for the above suggestions, links and coments.

I made one more call to King Controls and the tech support guy suggested replacing the data line which is the telephone cable running from the back of the tuner to the control panel that has the display showing what the roof dome is doing.

Well.... when I took the controler off it's mounting apperantly the connection plug on the telephone cable was not making good contact because when I unplugged it and plugged it back in the panel lit up and it appears to be working now. I will be moving the coach tomorrow so we will see if it continues to work okay.

So far it looks like a happy ending to this mystery.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #5

Glad to hear it was s simple solution. I wasn't as fortunate when I had problems with my Kingdome. It took 3 part swaps to get mine working again which is why I am in possesion of extra parts. Good travels.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #6

My 9630 9639LP King Dome controller just went out. Bought a used one ($10.00) and it didn't work. Before I buy a new controller, is there a way to check the controller? Or do I have another problem?
roy4x is offline   Reply With Quote