Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2009, 02:49 AM   #29
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
DirecTV has all of their basic programing on one satellite, I believe.

HD programing is coming from up to 5 satellites, depending which package you have.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2009, 06:02 AM   #30

Quote:
DirecTV has all of their basic programing on one satellite, I believe.

HD programing is coming from up to 5 satellites, depending which package you have.
Currently DTV's programming is spread across 5 satellites. MOST of the DTV programming comes from the one satellite at 101. If you want the full HD programming it comes from only 2 satellites at 99 and 103 which are the new KA band satellites.
In the mobile market we are really only looking at the need to see 3 satellites for complete programming (including HD) from DTV and you would need the new Slimline SL3 or SL5 antenna/LNB to receive this programming. The only thing left out there of any interest on the other 2 satellites (110 and 119) are some local network programming but these are scheduled to move to the KA band soon as well.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #31

Bill,

Wow !! You are throwing me for a loop here. Am I making a mistake going to DISH using 110/119 for Basic and 129/61 for HD ? Also, MD rep said I will probably have to get satellite reprogrammed for HD out west(UT/AZ/NV) because in some parts of country they use 61 for HD and 129 in others. This true? I will be spending Oct-Apr out west and back east from Apr-Oct. Thanks.

NAVYBLUE
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #32

I'm throwing you for a loop? All I said was "Yep!"
If you want to use a dome and you want HD programming you MUST use Dish Network.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #33

Texas Boomers Club
If I'm not mistaken, the only time you may need to have it reprogrammed is if you are in deep South Texas or the far northeast.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
You can get HD on Direct, but you have to buy another piece to fit in side the Kingdome. I think it runs around 450.00.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:26 AM   #35

Quote:
You can get HD on Direct, but you have to buy another piece to fit in side the Kingdome. I think it runs around 450.00.
No, you cannot!
King Dome offered an add-on that would allow the dome to switch between 101, 110 and 119 when DTV was broadcasting their limited HD programming on the 110 and 119 satellites. Today all but a few HD channels have been moved to their new KA band satellites at 99 and 103 and even those few will move to KA soon.
There is no adapter available from any dome manufacturer that will allow any dome to pick up the KU and KA band signals.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:33 AM   #36

Texas Boomers Club
I stand corrected. Thanks for the update.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #37

Bill Adams,

I am just a little confused thats all. All the stuff you were saying in the 2/14 11:02 AM post ONLY pertains to DTV correct? Thanks for the reply.

NAVYBLUE
Old 02-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #38

Yes, DTV is DirecTV.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #39

Bill Adams and others,

Just wanted to update all that I had Beckleys RV in Frederick, MD set up KingDome and DISH system and have a DVR question. We ended up using (1) 211K receiver and (1) input from satellite. The HD cable(HDMI) goes directly from receiver to HD input on back off living room LCD/HD TV and a second receiver output goes to Video Selector Switch/box and Bill explained in this post I can watch HD/SD in LR, SD in BR and SD in lower storage area entertainment center.
But you can only watch (1) program at a time in either location and I am happy with that for the time being. I have second receiver and have located the (2nd) lead from the satellite behind the LR TV and I will eventually wire that to watch seperate programs on BR/Lower entertainment center TVs.
Here is my situation/problem. I have a TIVO(DVR) from my previous house in PA that was set up for Blue Ridge cable that upgraded the TV guide via telephone line OR Wireless Network Adapter to access the internet. I know have it set up at my in-laws for Coxable for the next (2) month where we are staying,
I don't think there is a way for me hook up TIVO in BR inline between Video Selector output to TV and TV input and use the timed recording/TV guide section of TIVO to say "Start recording ESPN @ 1:00 PM and stop recording @ 2:00 PM. I do think I can take output from Video box where it come out of wall in BR and run in into a (2) way splitter. One output goes to input of BR TV and the other output goes into a TIVO input. I can then take an output from TIVO and run it into a composite input labeled INPUT 1 or INPUT 2. Then my option is to select program I want to record from DISH TV guide lineup on LR TV and then monitor it on BR TV and when it comes on press the RECORD button on TIVO remote control to start an untimed recording and in the example above leave after the recording starts and come back a little after 2:00 PM to stop recording. I would then use the BR TV remote control to select INPUT 2 which should bring up TIVO screen and playback recorded program through composite cable to TV.
I believe the TIVO system is designed for HOME cable, HOME cable with a box and HOME satellite with a box where you have a phone line/Wireless Network adapter and can not be used the same way in a RV the way you use it at home. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time as the DW points out.
Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.

NAVYBLUE

Spending my kids inheritance one day at a time
Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I see what you are trying to do, but I don't think it is the best way to do it. You have a couple of options.

This first option has nothing to do with the Tivo. The 211K is capable of being a single tuner DVR if you add a USB hard drive to it. You can buy a 500 GB drive for less than $100. You'll then need to activate the hard drive feature with Dish for $39. Once you have done this, you can watch one recorded program and record another at the same time. You still have your issue with the same program on both TVs.

The other option is to control the Dish receiver with the Tivo. You will need either an IR blaster or put the Tivo where the emitter on the front of it will be visible to the IR pickup on the receiver. If you need to control either from the bedroom, you can get a wireless IR extender.

If it were me, I would go for the first option. I have a 301 receiver now, with the same Kingdome as you. I am saving my pennies for a 211K and will get a hard drive and make it a DVR.

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #41

NavyBlue,

Sorry I caught this post late as I would have been able to help with the Dish NW DVR operation. I did get the Dish NW VIP722 (High definition DVR) to work despite comments by both Dish NW and Kingdome that it would not work. Look at this post http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/hd-di...ish-37227.html

It works with some limitations as you will read in the referenced post.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #42

MrSchwarz/Harry B

Thanks for both replies. Your idea MrSchwarz about the USB hard drive seems the easiest and most logical for me. When you called DISH, did you speak to a CSR or did you speak to someone in Tech Support to get the hard drive activated.
All I want to do is record something while I am away. You also said you recorded something while you were watching a pre recorded program. Have you been able to record something while watching something LIVE. I am thinking not because of the 211K being a single receiver. I will say the 211k has worked flawlessly since Beckley RV in Maryland set up the DISH system in 2/09 and I have been able to pull the satellites signal in some wooded area I didn't think I could get e signal.
I have another conundrum. I too had the software/control upgrade done at Beckley and like a dumba--, I didn't have them show me the 3rd satellite 129/61.5 worked as we needed to head out to Connecticut. I now have had time to check it out and I am not getting the 3rd satellite which is HD which is part of my DISH package. I went to some of the menu screens and have become familar with the various test screens and it shows 110/119 coming in green utilizing switch 21. It is my understanding that the HD satellite software upgarde to HD uses a different switch(I think switch 64) and I don't think I see it and before I call KINGDOME I have a question.
Is it not showing because I have to call DISH and tell them the HD software has been installed and they need to "shoot" an initialization/activation signal(like XM radio) or is something I need to do or did Beckley assume it was installed correctly and it is not. The receiver does process HD as I have a HD/LCD TV in LR and I watch TNT/USA/ESPN on one of the satellites that has (4) HD channels on it without the software upgrade.
Any help/suggestions are appreciated

NAVYBLUE