Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #1

Arrow King Tailgater, interesting info...

King Tailgater, interesting info...

I recently purchased a tailgater for when we are on the move and my manual tripod antenna is little much for just an overnighter. I though you might like to know what I've found lately...

1) The unit is easy to use, lightweight, and easy to store - it can be mounted anywhere, such as on the ground, or on your roof.
2) The unit is easy to program - finding the satellites is just based on the STATE where you are located at the moment.
3) The Main tv receiver can receive all available satellites, at least the ones within view, and the channels for each.
4) The unit has a 'Secondary' output, which provides viewing for a secondary tv receiver. This receiver's GUIDE will only show available channels from the satellite that the Main receiver is tuned to.
5) If the Main receiver switches to a channel from a different satellite, then the Secondary receiver will show the 'channel no longer found' type message.
6) The Secondary receiver can be 'restarted' to find and show the channels from the new satellite that the Main receiver switched to, if you so choose.
7) If both TV's are being viewed at the same time, the easiest and least aggravating method for everyone's enjoyment is to leave the Main receiver on channels that are with a single satellite, such as 110, which might give the most channel options for everyone.
8) Finding the channel list, including SD and HD versions, from each satellite is not easy. I've yet to find a way to decipher which channel comes from which satellite. It's complicated even more by the fact that SOME channels originate from a different satellite depending on their SD or HD version.
9) If the Main receiver switches to a channel from a different satellite and it causes the Secondary tv to lose it's view, switching the Main receiver back will allow the Secondary tv to view it's channel again.

fun, ain't it!? : )

also:
I noticed several nights that our roof mounted unit was making noises/movement while we were NOT watching tv, and the receivers were NOT on.
KING support replied by email that the unit may make adjustments to it's alignment even when the unit is off. The only way to disable this is to physically unplug the Main unit.
I chose to try this, and it worked. I also find this aggravating. I don't want to have to unplug my main receiver each night, which is in the living room.
I chose to turn off it's power source(a power strip) instead, which also worked fine, which also lead me to a new interesting trial...
Would the Secondary receiver, in the bedroom, continue to work if I turned the Main receiver OFF, or if I 'unplugged' it?? hmmmmm.....
**If you only turn OFF the main receiver, the Secondary unit no longer provides viewing. IF, though, you unplug(or turn off the power strip) your Main receiver, the Secondary receiver continues to WORK! Wow... : )

Not that's a new revelation! For some of us anyway - maybe for most it's probably a little TMI (too much info?) !
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #2

Thanks for all the info.
I have been thinking about buying a carry out dish like yours.
But I have been living in S. AL so long that I am paranoid about theft.
People will walk off with just about anything that is not bolted / chained down.
As a general question to you and others have many of the carry out units walked off?
I know RV owners are probable about the most honest, but most camping spots are open to drive through traffic from the general population.
ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_g View Post
I have been thinking about buying a carry out dish like yours.
Give the Winegard Pathway X2 a look . . . it's similar to the King Tailgater (supports 2 receivers, roof mountable - so harder to steal), but the X2 also supports DISH's Eastern Arc sats (61.5°, 72.7°, and 77°) as well as the Western Arc sats (110°, 119°, and 129°).

The King Tailgater only supports the Western Arc sats.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #4

as far as my fear of theft - none right now, the way I see it is that someone would have to either climb up my ladder to the roof of my coach to get to it - not likely if I am home - and probably not likely considering the amount of time it would take and the exposure to others even if I wasn't home.
All in all though, I dont worry about it as much since I work from our coach and we are never away too terribly long anyway.
I will say, tho, I've thought of how to secure it on my roof. I could use a normal bike type cable and run it thru the unit handle and thru the vent thats part of the a/c unit. But, even then a determined person could steal anything they wish. I may just have to live with that risk.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
as far as my fear of theft - none right now, the way I see it is that someone would have to either climb up my ladder to the roof of my coach to get to it - not likely if I am home - and probably not likely considering the amount of time it would take and the exposure to others even if I wasn't home.
All in all though, I dont worry about it as much since I work from our coach and we are never away too terribly long anyway.
I will say, tho, I've thought of how to secure it on my roof. I could use a normal bike type cable and run it thru the unit handle and thru the vent thats part of the a/c unit. But, even then a determined person could steal anything they wish. I may just have to live with that risk.
I agree, with 2 comments.

Unless all your neighbors know you.....
One premise of being a thief, is look like you know what you are doing, most people will leave you alone.......

Anything to slow them down, suggest they try another location.
Even a chain with a unlocked lock, gives the impression it is locked.

And yes, we can't worry about every little thing......
ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote