Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #1

KVH help. Anyone?

I just recently hooked up Dish 500 to my KVH R5SL. (Interestingly, the shroud on top says R4SL, but the serial # says it's a R5SL) The rig is new to me and was previously set for and working on DirectTV.
After setting it up for Dish as per instructions, I called Dish, got the programming, and everything worked fine for a couple of days.
One thing I noticed is that the Dish receiver got blazing hot.
I shut down the power to the RV, and the next time I powered up the Dish, I got a complete signal loss message from the receiver.
Called Dish and they sent a man out that said the problem was with the KVH dish and no signal was coming from it. I later verified the receiver was good by hooking it up to an old roof mount dual lnb dish I had at home.
After reading a little, I downloaded the KVH update wizard and attempted to do an update with very little knowledge as to what I was doing.
When I hooked the computer up to the KVH, all I got was "no rf signal" or something like that continuously scrolling on the screen.
I also got an identifier line that says R5SL, Rev G, Version 1.26, Serial # 120400967.
I didn't see a way to load any kind of update.
Is there any fuses or anything like that I should check? I hear the motor running on the roof like it's searching for the signal.
Any help appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #2

Check your connections at the antenna on the roof. If nothing changes you need professional help with the antenna. I think your RF circuit board has problems.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
YC1

One thing about the KVH is it is sensitive to low voltage. If it is being supplied by DC and not a power supply make sure you have shoreline or generator running while you are testing things. At about 11.7 volts they will not lock. A long run of cable and batteries at less than full charge can get you below that easily and drive you nuts.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Check your connections at the antenna on the roof. If nothing changes you need professional help with the antenna. I think your RF circuit board has problems.
That's kinda what I'm thinking. I need to take the top off the dome and make a visual inspection, but since it was working one moment and then no signal the next, I'm thinking something electronic died. It's also odd that the Dish receiver got blazing hot hooked up to the KVH but not the Dish 500 dish.
As to voltage, it's supplied by a 110v power supply. I believe 15v.
Thanks for the input.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
This post will not help your immediate problem BUT it might save your sanity down the road. I too had a KVH 5. From the moment I took ownership of the 08 Dynasty the unit did not work properly. I even had the dome replaced under warranty. After about $1000 of my own expense to get it to work and continual problems on each trip. I replaced it with a Winegard Travler. It works flawlessly every time and rapidly is ready to provide two different satellite signals to the two TVs in the coach.
Some might say this was an expensive fix. I say it is the permanent fix and there is no price to put on the elimination of my constant frustration and that of my wife.
jsabatinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
YC1

How long did it take for the receiver to get hot? I installed fans in my cabinet because of the terrible heat issue.
When you take the dome off run a temporary cable from lnb1 to the receiver and leave lnb 2 disconnected. If the coax is shorted the receiver could be getting hot due to the extra current flowing.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. By hot, I mean unusually hot. I realize that any receiver heats up, but this was so hot, you couldn't hold the receiver in your hand. It only took about 30 minutes for it to heat up. When I hooked it up to a regular Dish 500 dish, it just got warm. I'll try running a separate cable whenever I get a chance and see what I get.
After reading several posts about the KVH, I've decided not to spend a lot of money on it. I just bought a tailgater and will use that on my upcoming trip next trip week and mess with the KVH when I get a chance. I'd like to have it working if I can fix it, but I'm not going to sink much money in it.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
I just recently hooked up Dish 500 to my KVH R5SL. (Interestingly, the shroud on top says R4SL, but the serial # says it's a R5SL) The rig is new to me and was previously set for and working on DirectTV.
After setting it up for Dish as per instructions, I called Dish, got the programming, and everything worked fine for a couple of days.
One thing I noticed is that the Dish receiver got blazing hot.
I shut down the power to the RV, and the next time I powered up the Dish, I got a complete signal loss message from the receiver.
Called Dish and they sent a man out that said the problem was with the KVH dish and no signal was coming from it. I later verified the receiver was good by hooking it up to an old roof mount dual lnb dish I had at home.
After reading a little, I downloaded the KVH update wizard and attempted to do an update with very little knowledge as to what I was doing.
When I hooked the computer up to the KVH, all I got was "no rf signal" or something like that continuously scrolling on the screen.
I also got an identifier line that says R5SL, Rev G, Version 1.26, Serial # 120400967.
I didn't see a way to load any kind of update.
Is there any fuses or anything like that I should check? I hear the motor running on the roof like it's searching for the signal.
Any help appreciated.
At the front of the reflector in the LNB it will have two coax cables connected to it.with receiver on and cable removed you should have 15-18 volts DC between center conductor and growing or the threaded part of the cable. If no voltage cable problem most likely if power is there you need to buy a stacked L N B about 100.00 dollars.
apollocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #9

Thanks for that info. It will help me narrow things down.