Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
KVH L3 setup instruction help

I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler that has a KVH TracVision L3 installed. When I purchased the unit it had a DTV receiver and was getting the preview channels. I tried hooking up my ExpressVu receiver and switching satelites with the supplied TV/SAT switch. After trying that, nothing would work. I called KVH technical support and was told that I had to reflash my Sat as it had an old version on it.

Since then my everything has headed south on me and I get an RF failure. Here is the info I get on the flash wizard:

KVH TracVision R5 Rev T - Version 2.59 - Serial Number 00000000
*** Initializing RF Controller ***
S response timeout
*** ERROR: RF COMM FAIL ***
*** Initializing Antenna ***
GPS: UTC: 083000.00, Lat: 4131.00N, Long: 7115.00W
GPS: ASTRA1 AZ = 163.1, EL = 36.9, SKEW = 4.5
GPS: HOTBIRDWB AZ = 171.6, EL = 38.0, SKEW = 6.0
!!! CAN'T SEE SAT !!!
GPS Set To Default
GPS: AVG SKEW = 5.3
*** Limit Switch Test ***

Limit Switch Status: PASS
!!! ERROR -- GYRO NOT CALIBRATED !!!
?PGM

The flash wizard also gave me instructions on what to do next. Here is what it said I should enter:

HALT
DEBUGON
CLEAREE
Wait upto 60 seconds for command to finish
HALT
DEBUGON
=TVL3
Wait upto 60 seconds for command to finish
HALT
DEBUGON
BIASAZ,<value>
BIASEL,<value>
GYROSFAZ,<value>
Here is what I am looking for;
Can anyone send me a copy of their flash or the values that I need in order for my L3 to work with expressVu? My serial number is 03010939 and I am located in Sudbury, Ontario.

KVH Technical support technicians say that they cannot assist a customer to fix a flash problem and that I should take it to a local dealer. Unfortunately, all local dealers are no longer working on KVH systems because of what they call Poor Customer Support.

If anyone knows of a dealer who still works on KVH flash, please tell me as well.

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
After playing a bit more this is where I am now at:

KVH TracVision L3 Rev T - Version 2.59 - Serial Number 03010939
*** Initializing RF Controller ***
S response timeout
*** Initializing Antenna ***
GPS: UTC: 083000.00, Lat: 4500.00N, Long: 700.00E
GPS: HOTBIRDWB AZ = 171.6, EL = 38.0, SKEW = 6.0
GPS: ASTRA1 AZ = 163.1, EL = 36.9, SKEW = 4.5
GPS: AVG SKEW = 5.3
*** Limit Switch Test ***

Limit Switch Status: PASS
==>halt

>HALT
==>satinstall,Expressvu,none

>Satellite Installation Fail

I still can't seem to get it off the European Sats, Perhaps the flsh wizard has only European falshes installed?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I am heading to Vancouver for a few weeks holiday this weekend. Does anyone know a dealer or technician somewhere near i94/i90 that services KVH TracVisions?

I am about to give up on KVH and find another brand that provides service support if I can't get this unit working soon. Any suggestions?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #4

If you have to replace your antenna I would not replace it with another dome but would instead recommend that you have the Winegard Trav'ler installed.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknoguy View Post
>HALT
==>satinstall,Expressvu,none

>Satellite Installation Fail
For the KVH R4/R5 models they show 2 satellites for Expressvu: 82 and 91. the manual says that the command to access them is:

a. HALT <ENTER>
b. SATINSTALL,Expressvu,ExpressTV <ENTER>
c. ZAP <ENTER>

I don't know if yours uses the same commands but it's worth a try...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #6

I think you need to reflash the RF board with a new firmware corresponding to the new controller firmware. That requires a different RS-232 cable connected to the modular connector and the same flash wizard. If you are using Vista or Windows 7 run as administrator. PM me if you do not have a cable. For what its worth my L3 works great for Dish network, including HD on 61.5 or 129.
DtBt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #7

Commercial Member

I would reccommend you switch to a Winegard or Motosat automatic openfaced mobile satellite system for BEV. As you know BEV is not for use below the border and a dome isn't going to give you a dependable signal to see your BEV programming. You can certanly pay to have the KVH reflashed but unless your prepaired to move to Dish Network or DirecTV service you will be disappointed.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Update....

I took my RV to Bismark ND while on holidays and had the dealer flash the unit. They were able to get it up and running with the exception that they could not lock onto Expressvu. After arriving in Vancouver BC I called KVH tech support and found a very helpful technician that talked me through the satconfig programming of my trackvision. Now everything is working great and the unit locks on to the expressvu sat with no problems at all.

Thanks to all who tried to helps out