Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
KVH R-5 upgrade

I've had the MH for over a year now and since we are getting ready to do a lot of traveling I decided to go ahead and get Dish Network. I purchased a VIP211Z and hooked it up to the KVH R-5. There was a lot of whirling and buzzing but it never made the connection to the satellite. I called KVH technical support and their answer was that I needed to go into an approved service center and have an upgrade done.

Does anyone know what the upgrade entails and how much it might cost? There are no service centers near me so I will have to do it while on the road. If it is an expensive upgrade, I am thinking that I may be better off getting a Carry Out, Pathway X2 or a Tailgater.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #2

If you want to do it yourself, here's how:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/kvh-t...sl-114135.html
Old 02-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #3

The 211 is dependent on the coach being level. Dish HD reception requires three angles to connect with the sat. Since the dome only has two movable angles the coach being level is the third. That being said, Dish has eliminated the ability to connect to Distant network channels. So Direct tv is the best game in town right now but you need the Winegard sk swm3 antenna for HD.

I used my kvh for two years switching back and forth between Dish and Direct tv without any programming changes to the dome. Dish is difficult to connect to with the dome you just have to have patience and make sure the coach is level.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep trekker View Post
I've had the MH for over a year now and since we are getting ready to do a lot of traveling I decided to go ahead and get Dish Network. I purchased a VIP211Z and hooked it up to the KVH R-5. There was a lot of whirling and buzzing but it never made the connection to the satellite. I called KVH technical support and their answer was that I needed to go into an approved service center and have an upgrade done.

Does anyone know what the upgrade entails and how much it might cost? There are no service centers near me so I will have to do it while on the road. If it is an expensive upgrade, I am thinking that I may be better off getting a Carry Out, Pathway X2 or a Tailgater.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
There are several threads in this section about the upgrades; some people have done it themselves. You might call a few of the approved service centers and ask them what the charge would be, then you'll pretty much have your answer.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #5
Community Moderator

To update the firmware, if you read through HHIDan's link, which covered everything, you should be able to do it yourself. The hard part is to make the data cable for RF and the upload for that.
I did mine but before that I called the authorized dealer near me, I remember they asked for $99. That is not a bad deal if you are not adventurous type of person and you do mind frustration :-). Good luck.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
What KVH probably did not tell you. I just went through this, did the update, and it still kept spinning around. Called KVH back, and was then told I needed a power supply and a ground block. Installed those and it is working again. One of my storage neighbors did the same thing I did and ended up putting out a little over $500 for a board. Not sure where it is in the system, but it can get pricey.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, Lots of good information here. I'll address it when I get to my next destination. (Oklahoma City)
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
What KVH probably did not tell you. I just went through this, did the update, and it still kept spinning around. Called KVH back, and was then told I needed a power supply and a ground block. Installed those and it is working again. One of my storage neighbors did the same thing I did and ended up putting out a little over $500 for a board. Not sure where it is in the system, but it can get pricey.
that must be the rf board. during my upgrade, i called kvh they told me the same thing for $500 for a new board. i didn't believe it at the end of day i made it work.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote